Is Jonathan Huberdeau's Contract Good?

Is Huberdeau's contract good?

• Total voters

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Yes and no. Do I think he is worth the deal? At this current point of his career, yes. I just dont know if it will age well a few seasons later. No only because if it was a Panthers uniform, I dont see how he/Walsh can value himself more than Barkov. And yes, Im taking into account the difference in contract costs in Calgary and Florida.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Hmmm well It's a good contract for Calgary for a few years once it kicks in hopefully....

It's a FANTASTIC contract for Huberdeau for 8 seasons until he is 38 years old

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Money wise it's the deal he would go in open market

Considering his age it's horrible contract

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
I think people will think every new contract that deals mainly in UFA years is an overpay, as the bar shifts.

Sure, it's bad if you compare it to deals signed 4 years ago that include RFA years. Yes, the final years will be an overpay. 10.5m is a bargain for what he will bring in terms of actual value over the next 5 years or so, though.

World class winger, committing to a market that struggles to keep players. Big win for Calgary.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
It's market value. Probably worth 12M for 2 or 3 years with a predictable drop to ~6-7M by the end of the it.

Be more about how much the cap shoots up and how much players are demanding in 2-3 years. I expect their to be a new normal.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I think when you consider the cirumstances it's a good contract. In a vaccuum though it will most likely turn quite nasty at some point in the next 9 years. The later clearly the better.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Of course not. If you're playing the odds it will look absolutely awful in the last few years.. maybe he'll be an exception.

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
I think it's a good deal for a Canadian franchise to lock up a superstar. It won't last but the Flames needed to lock him up here. Better than Gaudreau for that amount.

Reactions: Tufted Titmouse

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
I don’t think he’s worth 10.5 today
Compared to who? If you are going to say Kucherov @ 9.5m, your standards are not calibrated properly.

Compared to Marner (10.9), Panarin (11.6), Gaudreau (9.8), Tkachuk (9.5) it seems about right.

He drives his line, very few wingers do that in the NHL, and even fewer are willing to commit long term to a Canadian market.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Yes and no. Do I think he is worth the deal? At this current point of his career, yes. I just dont know if it will age well a few seasons later. No only because if it was a Panthers uniform, I dont see how he/Walsh can value himself more than Barkov. And yes, Im taking into account the difference in contract costs in Calgary and Florida.

Didn't Barkov still have 1 RFA year on his deal?

Also, I am not sure I believe the gap between them is as significant as we think it is on this forum, but we won't know until they've played a couple seasons apart. Loved watching them play together.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Just finished 2nd in scoring and is the 6th highest paid forward. How does that not at least seem fair today?

I personally voted "no" to it being a good contract due to longevity, but Huberdeau is among the elite in the NHL right now.
Because there’s more to hockey than just scoring a lot of points in the regular season

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Panarin got 11.6, Gaudreau got 9.5 both contracts were seen as great

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
Calgary should've went 5 years and said no to signing him to 8. 8 years is ridiculous and unnecessarily long for any team/player IMO.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Calgary should've went 5 years and said no to signing him to 8. 8 years is ridiculous and unnecessarily long for any team/player IMO.

Then he's gone elsewhere at the end of the season. And his situation becomes a distraction during the season. And the Flames are possibly not in position to get any asset for him at the TDL, depending on where they are in the standings.

Reactions: joestevens29

Jefe302

Oct 17, 2014
Yes. You anchor a star after two wanted out. He is a playmaker who does not rely on his speed and works at his game. As long as he has talent to feed this will age fine.

At the end it will feel high but the cap will go up and it’s likely star 2nd line wingers will regularly be making that and he’ll still be productive.

Unless there is a serious injury or he has no talent around him I don’t think his production falls off a cliff.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
10.5M for a 29 year old who has had 1, maybe 2 elite seasons and chokes every playoffs. Terrible contract.
I think he's definitely had more than 2 elite seasons.

2022 = 2nd in points
2021 = 11th in points
2020 = 10th in points
2019 = 12th in points

Last 4 seasons combined = 4th in points.

I agree that he's old and the second half of the contract isn't going to be too pretty, but he's been an elite player for 4 years and deserves this contract imo.

If you look at late-20's or older players who've signed $9.5 million + deals, Huberdeau has a 4 year track record (prior to signing) better than most of them: Karlsson, Doughty, Tavares, Toews, Stone, Benn, Gaudreau, Seguin etc.

None of those guys really had 4 straight years of elite production going into their contracts. So while the contract might not be great, I wouldn't call it terrible.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes