is jesse p ready for nhl next season

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He should be NHL ready, but you never know 100% before you see him at the camp.

If he earns a spot let him play, if not give him few games in the AHL to get the game going and call up.
But I would say he is, this year there's a great support group for Pulju and he can be sheltered better.

He has the size, he has the skating, he has the IQ, and brings versatility into the lineup which Chia will want.

Kyyrii

May 30, 2016
PHP:
He has one year left. But can be bought out for 200k or something.

The question is does he gave to do 1 year military service

Doesn't need to buy out. NHL contract means that you can leave your Liiga team without further payment. Military service can be done during summer time and he has all the time since he is 30.

I think henis ready to step in. Give him Drai or Nuge for his center and some PP time and I think that he already can produce something. Maybe give him a try with McDavid sometimes and see what happens. He can play sheltered minutes this year or even play his way up to first or second line.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
PHP:

Doesn't need to buy out. NHL contract means that you can leave your Liiga team without further payment. Military service can be done during summer time and he has all the time since he is 30.

I think henis ready to step in. Give him Drai or Nuge for his center and some PP time and I think that he already can produce something. Maybe give him a try with McDavid sometimes and see what happens. He can play sheltered minutes this year or even play his way up to first or second line.

The 225k transfer fee (according to the current transfer agreement) must be paid. It's not a buy out though, as there are additional requirements, such as the ELC must kick in or player must be offered on loan back (See Ristolainen). So if player is to go the AHL route, either original league team (IIHF) must decline the player returning (quite common IIRC), or the player must stay up for more than the 9 games (as was done in Ristolainen's case). It's long since I last read about the transfer agreements, so take everything with a grain of salt.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
The 225k transfer fee (according to the current transfer agreement) must be paid. It's not a buy out though, as there are additional requirements, such as the ELC must kick in or player must be offered on loan back (See Ristolainen). So if player is to go the AHL route, either original league team (IIHF) must decline the player returning (quite common IIRC), or the player must stay up for more than the 9 games (as was done in Ristolainen's case). It's long since I last read about the transfer agreements, so take everything with a grain of salt.

I didn't know that, interesting if it's true. I thought by paying the transfer fee the NHL team acquires full rights to the player and controls his fate unconditionally thereafter. But I think this is all moot at the end of the day as I believe the Oilers will need Puljujärvi more than 9 games anyway.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I would hope not, but this is the Oilers, we Traded Hall, we always force kids into the show and so it goes.

He could easily be sheltered a lot better than guys like Hall, Eberle and Nuge were. If Draisaitl and Nuge are both still here he will have a good centre to play with in sheltered minutes and can still get a bunch of PP time. If he's not ready I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a start in the AHL like LD and Nurse (cross my fingers that injuries don't force him up too early if thats the case). After all we have no idea how guys like Slepyshev, Caggiula, and Khaira will look coming into camp and one of them might be ready for opening night roster.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
He could easily be sheltered a lot better than guys like Hall, Eberle and Nuge were. If Draisaitl and Nuge are both still here he will have a good centre to play with in sheltered minutes and can still get a bunch of PP time. If he's not ready I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a start in the AHL like LD and Nurse (cross my fingers that injuries don't force him up too early if thats the case). After all we have no idea how guys like Slepyshev, Caggiula, and Khaira will look coming into camp and one of them might be ready for opening night roster.

You forgot we just removed Draisaitls essential sheltering. With HALL GONE Drai will have trouble just staying above water. Production? Whole other thing. This Hall trade adversely impacts DRai, the whole team really. We have Mcdavid now driving production, and nobody else.

This team offensively is going to be so exposed next season. Think what a disaster this season(or any other) would've been without Hall and just extrapolate.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I think we'll be able to tell by the pre-season games. I think the odds are good that he's ready, though. The way he dominated the World Junior's -- that's usually a pretty good sign and indicator.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Yeah I think so.
Huge guy, nhl ready stature, best possession (corsi) metrics on his Finnish team for forwards, great skater, smart player, most complete forward in the draft according to scouts, improved big time in the second half of his season after he tore up the WJC, played excellent in Finnish league playoffs for Karpat.

I think puljujarvi is kind of being forgotten in the wake of losing Hall. This kid is one hell of a prospect that will likely plug the hole of losing Hall. Likely not next season but in the future I see him being a dominant, possession driving, two way power winger. Hosea comparisons are pretty accurate imo.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
You forgot we just removed Draisaitls essential sheltering. With HALL GONE Drai will have trouble just staying above water. Production? Whole other thing. This Hall trade adversely impacts DRai, the whole team really. We have Mcdavid now driving production, and nobody else.

This team offensively is going to be so exposed next season. Think what a disaster this season(or any other) would've been without Hall and just extrapolate.

I don't agree. I know Draisaitl had a rough stretch but I think he'll be ready to carry a line behind McDavid. He's shown he can play at a very high level and the consistency should come with age. Even if he's not I wouldn't underestimate a healthy Nuge and wouldn't even be surprised if we saw them reunite Pouliot-Nuge-Eberle which was a fantastic line for about 30 games the season before last.

The D should be an improvement on not getting constantly hemmed in and being able to make better breakout passes so long as we get a healthy Klefbom and Davidson can pickup where he left off. I know you don't want to have any positive outlook on the team with Hall traded, but I have enough faith in our centre depth that the impact won't be as bad as you think.

ced2334

Feb 29, 2016
He'll at least start the season and get his 9 games with the oilers. Chia at least owes him that for screwing up his name so bad at the draft! lol

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
He's not ready just like every other 4th an 3rd pick in the past few years hasn't been ready.

How many 3rd or 4th overall picks score 17P in 7GP at the U20's and go basically PPG in the FEL playoffs? There's been plenty of players who have been NHL ready out of their draft at later positions than 4.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
How many 3rd or 4th overall picks score 17P in 7GP at the U20's and go basically PPG in the FEL playoffs? There's been plenty of players who have been NHL ready out of their draft at later positions than 4.

This. There would have been a lot more raving about this kid was there not for Laine and Matthews in the draft. He was in the "big three" for a reason and that WJC performance was no fluke. When Jesse entered in the U18 Championships for the last few games, he was just so far ahead of his peers it wasn't even funny. Almost toying around, even while being pretty severely injured and scoring a hattrick in the finals like it was nothing. He has excelled against the men already and the latter half of last season he was pretty much constantly improving his game.

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
This. There would have been a lot more raving about this kid was there not for Laine and Matthews in the draft. He was in the "big three" for a reason and that WJC performance was no fluke. When Jesse entered in the U18 Championships for the last few games, he was just so far ahead of his peers it wasn't even funny. Almost toying around, even while being pretty severely injured and scoring a hattrick in the finals like it was nothing. He has excelled against the men already and the latter half of last season he was pretty much constantly improving his game.

:)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad