is jesse p ready for nhl next season

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Most analysts and team management types have said YES.

HF boards posters here will say probably say no because they buy into the story that early entry into the NHL could ruin prospects forever!

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I think yes. He plays a responsible 2-way game and has all NHL ready tools, the only question I could see if him needing time to adapt to the smaller ice, but I think he'll be fine. We're talking about a kid who's probably going to be 6'4 210 coming into camp and he's been playing against men since he was 16.

6God*

Should have at least a Nichushkin-like impact in his rookie year, especially given the options he'll have for linemates.

He has NHL-ready size, speed, and skillset. Just needs to acclimate to the game.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Hey guys, I know this is a rough day for the franchise. Never did I expect to see Hall traded considering all the other pieces that were on the chess board (RNH and Eberle for instance). Losing Hall will sting a lot. After the worst waves of hatred have faded you'll again begin to start thinking about the long term future.

The Oilers got blessed in the draft with Puljujärvi and should not underestimate the potential of this guy (he tied Lindros while coming out one point short of Jagr's all time record in the WJC and that was no fluke). Don't think he's immediately going to replace Hall, yet however that may be, there's your next future franchise winger. Jesse will be ready for next season. I have watched him for couple of seasons now and that's my honest opinion.

If the Lucic rumours are true and now that the D is a bit better off, the season still looks bright. Of course I was hoping to see Hall - McDavid - Puljujärvi to tear it up and be the best line in the league in the long run, but these two will do just fine even with someone like Lucic (who can look after their ars**) complimenting and supporting them.

The Oilers are a lot better team than most give you credit for, especially on the upcoming season. I'm already anxious to see how things pan out. And happy that one of my favourite prospects has landed here. It's going to be a exciting!

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Could he play in the NHL next year? Sure

Should he play in the NHL next year? Most likely not.

I don't see why there would be a point to fast tracking him. Putting him on the 3rd or 4th line as a 18 year -even if he could survive well in that role- isn't going to be the best thing for his development.

Give him the path Drai should have had: 1 year to stay where he is (Finland), and then next year have him come over to start in the AHL and work his way up to the big team during the season when there's an opening in the top 6.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Hey guys, I know this is a rough day for the franchise. Never did I expect to see Hall traded considering all the other pieces that were on the chess board (RNH and Eberle for instance). Losing Hall will sting a lot. After the worst waves of hatred have faded you'll again begin to start thinking about the long term future.

The Oilers got blessed in the draft with Puljujärvi and should not underestimate the potential of this guy (he tied Lindros while coming out one point short of Jagr's all time record in the WJC and that was no fluke). Don't think he's immediately going to replace Hall, yet however that may be, there's your next future franchise winger. Jesse will be ready for next season. I have watched him for couple of seasons now and that's my honest opinion.

If the Lucic rumours are true and now that the D is a bit better off, the season still looks bright. Of course I was hoping to see Hall - McDavid - Puljujärvi to tear it up and be the best line in the league in the long run, but these two will do just fine even with someone like Lucic (who can look after their ars**) complimenting and supporting them.

The Oilers are a lot better team than most give you credit for, especially on the upcoming season. I'm already anxious to see how things pan out. And happy that one of my favourite prospects has landed here. It's going to be a exciting!

I wouldn't be surprised to see Jesse tried on Drai or RNH's wing tbh. The fact that he can be a driver (maybe not right away in the NHL, but in time) similar to what Hall was makes it fairly enticing to split the 2 up. However, I'm sure he'll get looks with McDavid as well and if the chemistry is there then by all means let them go. Never really liked Hall with McDavid even at the WC's when they looked alright together I just think it neutered them both too much in their effectiveness.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I'd say yes he is NHL ready, but I don't want to see him any higher up in the line-up than the 3rd line until he proves he's ready for more. Keep him off McDavid's line in particular doesn't need tough checking match-ups as a first year pro that tends to stunt development unless your generational talent (a.k.a. freak) like McDavid.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

I don't see why there would be a point to fast tracking him. Putting him on the 3rd or 4th line as a 18 year -even if he could survive well in that role- isn't going to be the best thing for his development.

Give him the path Drai should have had: 1 year to stay where he is (Finland), and then next year have him come over to start in the AHL and work his way up to the big team during the season when there's an opening in the top 6.

I think he's honestly a better prospect than Draisaitl and I'm almost positive he'll want to come over this year. If anything I think he could start in the AHL for a bit and be up after like 20 games like Pastrnak did. I also don't see any issue playing him on the 3rd line with PP time to start off if he gets one of Nuge or Draisaitl to play with. We'll have a better idea in the preseason, but everything points to him being ready for the NHL.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
He is physically ready for the NHL, fast even by NHL standards, is a versatile player. In short, he is ready to play in NHL from the get-go. The only question is, is he able to produce offensively right from the start.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Probably yeah, he played well injured in the end of season and is just going to get better week by week + is going to be healthy.

He should start in the NHL I think.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006

He is that good to make the team. If he wows at camp and pre season he's a lock.

He has the size, the tools and the best work ethic in his draft class.

The thing about Puljujarvi is that he can perform on the third line with his grinding ability and he can perform on the top 6 with his work ethic and hockey i.q.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
He damn well better be now.

Edit: I loved the pic (thanks again C-bus!), and I think Puljujarvi will be a driver like Hall. Could even end up being better (with somewhat different strengths). Might be my next jersey.

Last edited:

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I wouldn't be surprised to see Jesse tried on Drai or RNH's wing tbh. The fact that he can be a driver (maybe not right away in the NHL, but in time) similar to what Hall was makes it fairly enticing to split the 2 up. However, I'm sure he'll get looks with McDavid as well and if the chemistry is there then by all means let them go. Never really liked Hall with McDavid even at the WC's when they looked alright together I just think it neutered them both too much in their effectiveness.

Yeah Jesse can be on the driver's seat as he matures up a little. His playmaking is excellent already and he's a very good off the rush type of a player with that explosive speed. There probably are a lot of similarities with Hall (since both of them are such great skaters and can deliver the puck). I think there's a lot more to Jesse than last season lead to believe. He was always considered more of a goal scorer than a playmaker when growing up. Jesse can really shoot the puck (like 100 mph). Once he gets his accuracy in place, he will be scoring a ton of goals. The kid's ceiling is skyhigh. Not only does he bring up blazing speed, but size and natural skill that cannot be taught.

Fun fact, they had an accuracy competition in the WJC camp and he actually beat Patrik Laine, but shooting from in game situation is always different than in a practise. The good thing about Edmonton, as someone pointed out, the worst center they can throw at him is RNH (or Draisaitl, not really sure which one is better at this point)

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeah Jesse can be on the driver's seat as he matures up a little. His playmaking is excellent already and he's a very good off the rush type of a player with that explosive speed. There probably are a lot of similarities with Hall (since both of them are such great skaters and can deliver the puck). I think there's a lot more to Jesse than last season lead to believe. He was always considered more of a goal scorer than a playmaker when growing up. Jesse can really shoot the puck (like 100 mph). Once he gets his accuracy in place, he will be scoring a ton of goals. The kid's ceiling is skyhigh. Not only does he bring up blazing speed, but size and natural skill that cannot be taught.

Fun fact, they had an accuracy competition in the WJC camp and he actually beat Patrik Laine, but shooting from in game situation is always different than in a practise. The good thing about Edmonton, as someone pointed out, the worst center they can throw at him is RNH (or Draisaitl, not really sure which one is better at this point)

Absolutely there's a lot to like about this kid and its one of the reasons I'm not taking the Hall hit as hard as others because I think he can be the same type of driver as Hall. I think he's definitely going to be a better shooter than Hall which will be nice since he's a RH shot and our power play typically has one of our lefty centres set up on the attacking right half wall so they can feed Jesse one-timers in the left attacking circle. Assuming that RNH doesn't get traded Jesse will have a pretty good situation to start in with 3 skilled centres to potentially play with and thats why I'm not worried that we'd be rushing him. Yak was sheltered like that in his rookie year, but he didn't have anywhere near the type of talent that Jesse will have to work with in the middle 6 (he was playing with like Horcoff a lot of the time I believe).

sooni

Oct 23, 2014
Vaasa
After Hall was traded PJ has to be ready. There is no Excuses now... Chiarelli will get FIRED if this team is not going to playoffs.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
It doesn't matter if he's ready or not, he's playing with the big club. It's the same old song.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad