Is it time to start trading some of our Picks/Prospects to improve our roster?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
On paper the team looks awesome. It's the execution that is never there. I don't know maybe the players we have just don't mesh together good enough. I remember watching this team back in the day and it used to be tape to tape all the way up the ice perfect passing. You can have all the skilled players you want but if they don't play well together then theres no consitency.

I unfortunately agree with this. Skill is through the roof with players like Hoffman, Stone, Ryan, Turris, Zibanejad, Karlsson, Prince, Wideman... I mean our middle of the pack players in terms of skill are MacArthur, Michalek, Wiercioch, Pageau, Lazar, Methot... still pretty decent

Lack of chemistry is definitely criminally apparent. Outside of a few duos, we rarely see a 5 men unit cohesion. When they do, they take over games and are as good (or even better) as anyone. I know they will get it going as we progress into the season, but why do they take so long to be in "game shape"? Is it a problem of training? Preparation? Coaching? All of the above?

We need a vet #3 that can teach guys like Ceci and even Karlsson. Someone like what Gonchar was when here.

Exactly. Imagine a 5 years younger Gonchar :

Methot-Karlsson
Gonchar-Ceci
Cowen-Wideman
Borowiecki

Note : Of course, we'd need Karlsson to get his head out of his arse and lead the way. Thanks

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Ya, I don't think Erik Karlsson is the biggest problem on the team. I get that he has to be better (Ryan too) but your statement is pretty outrageous IMO.

I also find it interesting that you make mention of Zib playing better "at least" whereas Ryan just had has best two games of the season and proved he plays great with Turris, but apparently he is still more of a problem than Zibby.

I suppose it depends on how one wants to define the problem, but I believe it should be defined as demonstrated optimal performance vs current performance and the resultant effect on results.

Therefore I look at three players that had they played closer to there optimum than they have, the team would likely have had better results.

First I think Ryan has been way below average. While I do agree he is showing signs of improving offensively, he is well short of what he has achieved in the past. Looking to Zibanejad for Ryan's low production is to ignore the fact Ryan leads the team in SOG, but is tied with Neil in shooting percentage at 8.3%.

Next I look to EK, who IMO hasn't been very good on either side of the puck. Offensively he has been way off his best especially when you consider 7 of his 9 points came in two games and he has looked disinterested at times defensively. While there can be little question he possesses all world talent, he hasn't been performing close to his optimum level.

Lastly I look to Anderson. While he has faced many shots he usually excels with the work. While he has made some incredible saves he has also looked less than average on occasion and his puck handling has not been stellar. His overall .912 SA% just isn't good enough for a team with playoff aspirations.

IMO these three have to perform much closer to their peaks consistently for the team to have better results.

As to the rest, I am not sure many of the players are off their best performances and given so many of them are young and still developing its hard to expect more.
For example Stone, Hoffman, and Zibanejad are all producing at career best levels.

The only exception IMO is Wiercoich. However expecting he would repeat the play he demonstrated over a 30 game window was likely based on hope more than anything.

So while we can blame whoever we want, fact is the best players have to play the best consistently for the Sens to win and so far that hasn't been the case IMO.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
100% agree with holdurbreathe

No trade will help fix this team since our biggest problem is that our three best players at the three positions have not been as good as we need them to be

Less so for Anderson but Karlsson and Ryan are the biggest problem with the team at this time

However that it is so means there are reasons to be optimistic that they'll turn it around

The flip side is that the success of the club is held hostage by them, no trade will fix them

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad