GDT: is it blackhawks or black hawks

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
As to Bedard he's too small to survive in the league. Guys are going to figure out his game and obliterate him. Kucherov may be a POS, but him, Ovie, McDavid, Matthews, etc size guys are the future. Bedard's injuries are going to stack up fast when guys start really laying it to him. He even looked small on TV. It's the first time I've seen him play and while hes fast and slick, his size is gonna be an issue. No wonder he got his face broken already. Going to be a lot more of that and the league won't be able to protect him.
Maybe, but there are more and more small guys that have survived and thrived in the NHL that were similar size as Bedard at the same age. Patrick Kane, Brayden Point, Aho (was 5'11", 176lbs when he joined the NHL), Marner, Nylander (5'11", 170 when drafted), Panarin, Bratt, etc...

Certainly more size is desirable, but there are enough players now that made/make it work. Young guys like him have to learn the NHL game and gain strength. They are used to being far and a way the best player on the ice playing against kids. Now, like Skinner learned, like Aho learned, like Jarvis is learning, etc....they have to learn what they can't get away with in the NHL or they'll get obliterated.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Maybe, but there are more and more small guys that have survived and thrived in the NHL that were similar size as Bedard at the same age. Patrick Kane, Brayden Point, Aho (was 5'11", 176lbs when he joined the NHL), Marner, Nylander (5'11", 170 when drafted), Panarin, Bratt, etc...

Certainly more size is desirable, but there are enough players now that made/make it work. Young guys like him have to learn the NHL game and gain strength. They are used to being far and a way the best player on the ice playing against kids. Now, like Skinner learned, like Aho learned, like Jarvis is learning, etc....they have to learn what they can't get away with in the NHL or they'll get obliterated.
I mean his problem is that he's a small guy who is going to be prone to being blown up on a team wheres he's likely the primary scoring threat for the next 5 years or so (unless they get Celebrini, which they might). Teams will know to just body him knowing Chicago doesn't have anything else and those hits will add up.

Watching him bounce off Aho last night was eye opening in just how undersized he is.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I mean his problem is that he's a small guy who is going to be prone to being blown up on a team wheres he's likely the primary scoring threat for the next 5 years or so (unless they get Celebrini, which they might). Teams will know to just body him knowing Chicago doesn't have anything else and those hits will add up.

Watching him bounce off Aho last night was eye opening in just how undersized he is.
He’s the same size as Kane was when he was 18, same height Kane is still. I think he’ll be ok.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

I don’t disagree with any of this, just saying i don’t know that I believe he’s 5’10”. Same with Kane or Point. The shorter you get the more room for error there is.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I don’t disagree with any of this, just saying i don’t know that I believe he’s 5’10”.

I can believe it. The official measurement at the draft combine was 5' 9.75", 185 lbs. Those are accurate.
Same with Kane or Point. The shorter you get the more room for error there is.
Sure, it's just science. Force = Mass x acceleration. Secondly, a small guy is more likely to take a legal shot to the head due to a size difference.

Smaller guys need to be more cognizant of how to pick their spots, find soft spots, avoid putting themselves in a risky spot, when to pass vs. carry the puck, etc...

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I can believe it. The official measurement at the draft combine was 5' 9.75", 185 lbs. Those are accurate.

Sure, it's just science. Force = Mass x acceleration. Secondly, a small guy is more likely to take a legal shot to the head due to a size difference.

Smaller guys need to be more cognizant of how to pick their spots, find soft spots, avoid putting themselves in a risky spot, when to pass vs. carry the puck, etc...
I meant with measurements. The shorter you get the more room for your listed height to be off. Sarcastically. Next you’ll tell me Ovy is 6’3” and Marner is 6’0”.

I agree with you about the rest.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
I thought the little bastard was a prick for whatever he said to Martin after scoring on him, then martin ofc points to the scoreboard.

He's already been blasted once, which resulted in a broken face - and more guys will be looking to do it if he keeps that kind of shit up. 3 games, won't mean squat to a guy that can take his head off and sees the opportunity to do so. Can't dangle jangle when everything is blurry.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I meant with measurements. The shorter you get the more room for your listed height to be off. Sarcastically. Next you’ll tell me Ovy is 6’3” and Marner is 6’0”.

I agree with you about the rest.
They do list Marner (and Aho) at 6’0. It’s absurdity.

I thought the little bastard was a prick for whatever he said to Martin after scoring on him, then martin ofc points to the scoreboard.

He's already been blasted once, which resulted in a broken face - and more guys will be looking to do it if he keeps that kind of shit up. 3 games, won't mean squat to a guy that can take his head off and sees the opportunity to do so. Can't dangle jangle when everything is blurry.
It’s not 1975 anymore as much as you want it to be.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

He's 1" shorter and 10 lbs heavier than Aho was at the same age. (per NHL draft combine numbers).

Reactions: WreckingCrew

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Bedards issue is at this point he leads very much with his face and is wading into traffic. He’s by nature a bit hunched over on top of his vertical challenges which puts his face right at the level of shoulders and elbows. It’ll work for him about as well as it did for Skinner. I’m sure he’ll learn where he can and cannot go. Like BBA says it’s dangerous to be shorter but plenty of shorter guys learn the spatial arrangements on the ice.

His other biggest issue is also a strength. He doesn’t shy away from the fray, he keeps charging. It’s admirable but he’s going to have to adjust that for the reasons we’re talking about.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
No idea but besides tim peel he's clearly been the worst ref in the league for several years now.

As to Bedard he's too small to survive in the league. Guys are going to figure out his game and obliterate him. Kucherov may be a POS, but him, Ovie, McDavid, Matthews, etc size guys are the future. Bedard's injuries are going to stack up fast when guys start really laying it to him. He even looked small on TV. It's the first time I've seen him play and while hes fast and slick, his size is gonna be an issue. No wonder he got his face broken already. Going to be a lot more of that and the league won't be able to protect him.
you and I see it dude

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Just for kicks I went back to look at the numbers for some notable names in the 2014/2015 draft. These are combine measurements when they were 17/18 years old:

2015:
Marner: 5'11", 160lbs
Aho: 5'11.25", 172 lbs
Cirelli: 5'11.5", 160
Beauvillier: 5'10.25", 175lbs
Brazil: 5'11.25", 175lbs
Konecny: 5'9.75", 175lbs

2014:
The "other" Sebastian Aho: 5'9.25", 165lbs
Bunting: 5'11", 174lbs
TDA: 5'10.5", 175lbs
Ehlers: 5'11", 160lbs
Fiala: 5'10", 180lbs
Nylander: 5'11", 169 lbs (Wow, has he ever filled out since then).
Point: 5'9.75", 160 lbs

Reactions: cptjeff

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Don't finns traditionally play with men sooner than NA kids though? Even then Aho plays a much different game than Bedard.
Yep, that is true. There are many US / Canadian players who don't though and are small in stature and make it work.

Like I said though, a smaller guy is more likely to take punishment due to physics and his head being more susceptible to head contact even on a legal hit. They have to learn how to play effectively to have success and longevity.

Even Aho had to learn after Giordano concussed him. Skinner had to learn (multiple times). Jarvis is still learning, etc..

Bedard will take his licks and will have to adjust and learn how guys like Marner, Kane, etc.. have. If he doesn't, then he'll be injured often. He also will need to get stronger, which he should with age. Guys like Aho and Nylander, for instance, are way stronger now than when they were 18.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
lost in this game is we can snap back to reality with Martin -- no those goals weren't all his fault but they weren't great either and I think it's clear once (if) healthy that Raanta and Freddie will be ahead of him. he's done an admirable job and so happy to have claimed him but unlike McBackup, I'd be scared shitless if he were forced into playoff action for us. Koochie is the #1 unless Freddie can return and take the job back. Freddie/Raanta are plans B/C
This is really a harsh analysis of Martin. The 2nd and 3rd Chi goals happened right in front of me and were all due to piss poor coverage by our guys plus some slick passing by the Hawks. He stood no chance. The 1st goal wasn't great but was only created when Burns just handed the puck to the Hawks behind our goal line. Just saying, I thought Martin looked good.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

The Martin/Bedard feud started because Orlov pushed Bedard into Martin, knocking them both over and having Bedard on top of Martin and Martin on top of Bedard's stick.

Bedard gets up, and is trying to free his stick from Martin, who's obviously quite upset at this entire sequence and likely didn't see Orlov push Bedard. They untangle themselves and play continues.

The period ends and Martin gives Bedard a jab as they're both heading to their respective lockerrooms. Bedard responses, and Slavin and another Hawk step in to separate the two.

3rd period, Bedard scores and gives Martin the stare down, to which Martin points up to the scoreboard. The goal is called back, only for Bedard to score a few minutes later.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
After last night's game, Canes have moved ahead of Vancouver for the 2nd best points % in the NHL since Dec 12th. Here are the top 5 teams in that stretch:

Edmonton: 21-6-0 (.778)
Carolina: 19-5-4 (.750)
Van: 19-5-5 (.741)
Fla: 19-7-2 (.714)
Dal: 18-6-5 (.707)

Our next 2 games are against two of those teams.

Last edited:

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville

It’s not 1975 anymore as much as you want it to be.
Not really sure what the year has to do with anything. Humans don't like to be shown up. Highly skilled ultra competitive athletes like it even less. In the real world you walk away, or tell them off. In the sports world where you really can't walk away things can get out of hand. If you think that's not how things happen anymore I feel like you missed the last few weeks in the NHL.

A rookie got clubbed in the head with a stick because he slap shotted an empty net.
How many times do you think young hot shot rookies can stare down vet goalies when they cut the lead from (checks notes) 4 zip to 4-1 before some vet takes exception?

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Not really sure what the year has to do with anything. Humans don't like to be shown up. Highly skilled ultra competitive athletes like it even less. In the real world you walk away, or tell them off. In the sports world where you really can't walk away things can get out of hand. If you think that's not how things happen anymore I feel like you missed the last few weeks in the NHL.

A rookie got clubbed in the head with a stick because he slap shotted an empty net.
How many times do you think young hot shot rookies can stare down vet goalies when they cut the lead from (checks notes) 4 zip to 4-1 before some vet takes exception?
I mean there’s a reason he plays with Nic Foligno.

And lol at making a big f***ing deal out of super veteran Spencer Martin who has played 12 more career games than Bedard and has less career wins than Bedard has assists.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad