Is goaltending a real concern for the Leafs

WeWantACup

Oct 15, 2011
Toronto
www.wewantacup.com
I suppose if you like the idea of finishing with as few points as possible, there is nothing to worry about.

If you're wanting more, then it would stand to reason that the current goaltending might drive you a little nuts.

Im as concerned with lack of scoring myself. The Zetterberg goal was bad, but with a bit of goal support, that wouldn't be the headline after tonight's game.

Icejoker

Sep 14, 2015
it seems that Rangers got a good backup goalie (or they have good D men) last summer,three games and three first star.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Target Bishop in the off season espically if we draft Mathews and/or make a big UFA signing

Mathews, Reilly JVR Nylander, Bishop would be a good core

UnknownNasty

Oct 5, 2014
In my opinion, there is no goaltending problem in Toronto. James Reimer was a proven starter until Dave Nonis inexplicably traded for Bernier. After the trade, Reimer seemingly dealt with confidence issues, and he never really got a string of consecutive starts.

In 2010-11, Reimer's save percentage ranked 14th out of all the goalies who had played at least 20 games (Reimer played 37 games that season). In those 14 goalies, James Reimer and Cam Ward were the only ones whose teams failed to qualify for the playoffs. If Reimer would have been on a playoff team, his save percentage would have undoubtedly been a few points higher. That season, the Leafs regularly dressed guys such as Fredrik Sjostrom, Tim Brent, Mike Komisarek, Darryl Boyce and Joey Crabb, none of whom were NHL-caliber players.

In 2011-12, he played behind a team that was even worse than the previous season, and he was having an elite season (albeit in 5 games) until he suffered a severe concussion. It took him a few months to completely recover from the concussion, and he suffered an injury shortly after he had rediscovered his early season form. Although his .900 save percentage was bad, it was explained by his injury troubles.

The lockout shortened season has been Reimer's best season so far. His .924 save percentage was 8th in the league amongst goalies who played at least 20 games. He also had a save percentage of .923 during the playoffs, despite the fact that he faced an average of 39 shots per game.

I think that if Babcock gives Reimer the starting job, the old Reimer will come back. We've all seen what he can do, but can he do it again or was it a fluke?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
In my opinion, there is no goaltending problem in Toronto. James Reimer was a proven starter until Dave Nonis inexplicably traded for Bernier. After the trade, Reimer seemingly dealt with confidence issues, and he never really got a string of consecutive starts.

In 2010-11, Reimer's save percentage ranked 14th out of all the goalies who had played at least 20 games (Reimer played 37 games that season). In those 14 goalies, James Reimer and Cam Ward were the only ones whose teams failed to qualify for the playoffs. If Reimer would have been on a playoff team, his save percentage would have undoubtedly been a few points higher. That season, the Leafs regularly dressed guys such as Fredrik Sjostrom, Tim Brent, Mike Komisarek, Darryl Boyce and Joey Crabb, none of whom were NHL-caliber players.

In 2011-12, he played behind a team that was even worse than the previous season, and he was having an elite season (albeit in 5 games) until he suffered a severe concussion. It took him a few months to completely recover from the concussion, and he suffered an injury shortly after he had rediscovered his early season form. Although his .900 save percentage was bad, it was explained by his injury troubles.

The lockout shortened season has been Reimer's best season so far. His .924 save percentage was 8th in the league amongst goalies who played at least 20 games. He also had a save percentage of .923 during the playoffs, despite the fact that he faced an average of 39 shots per game.

I think that if Babcock gives Reimer the starting job, the old Reimer will come back. We've all seen what he can do, but can he do it again or was it a fluke?

It was a fluke by now that should be VERY clear

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
It was a fluke by now that should be VERY clear

One could just as easily argue that if Bernier was never brought in, Reimer would have continued on the course he was on. You don't know either way, so there's no use pretending. All we know is that the decision to bring Bernier in has failed miserably all round (as have many decisions by pudgy ol' David Nono and the previous management).

YOYOTCROSTER*

Leafs gave up a 4th line right winger who is no longer in the nhl for a former 1st round pick goaltender. To blame Nono i think a little unfair. Always remember there is always a GM who will take a flyer on a guy with upside potential. Many hockey people think they can figure out the mental focus problem. I think Nono thought if he created a 1A platform for Bernier he would overcome his main issue. But the problem could not be fixed as brain issues are much bigger problems. But it was a nice try.

I always thought the same thing about Gardiner all the speed and skill in the world. Maybe he can be taught defence. But defensive instincts are developed over many many hockey games and Gardiner has played less than half the competive games in his life on defence than Morgan Rielly has played even though he is 25 and Morgan is 21. Gardiner was converted to defence at 17 in his first year ncaa.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Trading for a top goalie prospect or young goalie with good upside that simply hasnt been given much of a shot is probably our best bet. That costs less in trade than trading for an NHLer and it's worked out pretty well for a couple of teams.

Boston got Rask, TB got Bishop, Columbus got Bobrovsky, Colorado got Varlamov, SJ might have something in Martin Jones, etc. I think we should be drafting a top goalie prospect as well with a 2nd rounder, improve our odds with two guys with good potential of different ages.

We don't need to use 1st rounders or trade top top prospects, but if we can parlay something like Winnik's trade deadline value from last year + Polak's from this year into a top goalie prospect + young goalie with upside, Ill feel more comfortable about the position longterm. And we'll still have extra draft picks from other guys we sell off to focus on our F/D.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
Truthfully, a quality goalie is one of the hardest pieces to find.. We have been searching for one for a decade. The idea of 'wait and grab one in 2 years' blows my mind... If a chance comes up to move 1 of our tenders for picks (or as part of a deal), and get a quality goalie (or potential quality) we take it. Even if its tomorrow.. This whole "but but Matthews!" thing is *********. Even if we finish last we have a better chance at not getting him. If a goalie comes along at a reasonable cost, there shouldn't even be a 2nd thought.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
One could just as easily argue that if Bernier was never brought in, Reimer would have continued on the course he was on. You don't know either way, so there's no use pretending. All we know is that the decision to bring Bernier in has failed miserably all round (as have many decisions by pudgy ol' David Nono and the previous management).

The irony of your name is not lost on me

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
If you are worried about the future...yes.

Bernier just isn't that good, he isn't a number one on most teams in the NHL and Reimer is a free agent. That leaves Bibeau. Truth is we are weak in that position and do need to address it soon.We have the likes of JVR,Kadri and Gardiner as bait for a top G prospect. Drafting will take too long and is dicey. I think Lou will hunt for a stud G prospect who is close and we will pay the price as Lou knows how important it is.But as far as this year goes? Go ahead tank, this team gets blown up by TD anyway. I would say outside Reilly, make me an offer, including a 2nd rounder for Bernier, not that anyone would pay that for a $4M/yr. backup who lets in one soft goal per game.

Last edited:

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
what a silly question, is goaltending a concern? Duh of course it is..just like pretty much the rest of the team. We have some great pieces here in Rielly, and down in the AHL right now but I mean if goaltending isn't a concern to people after watching this team over the past 4-5 years I have no idea what to tell you. Bernier is becoming the new Reimer, even after almost 2 years we still don't know about him or if he's a #1...actually you know what I'll say right now he isn't. He had a chance here to establish himself and he hasn't...goaltending is a massive issue with this club now and going in the future.

LaCarriere

Truthfully, a quality goalie is one of the hardest pieces to find.. We have been searching for one for a decade. The idea of 'wait and grab one in 2 years' blows my mind... If a chance comes up to move 1 of our tenders for picks (or as part of a deal), and get a quality goalie (or potential quality) we take it. Even if its tomorrow.. This whole "but but Matthews!" thing is *********. Even if we finish last we have a better chance at not getting him. If a goalie comes along at a reasonable cost, there shouldn't even be a 2nd thought.

I agree 100%.

The problem is simply getting that 1A goalie. Guys like Price or quick are rarely traded, and even top goalie prospects are far from a guarantee, so you're left chasing 1b/2a types and hoping for a great / breakout / career year, which is always risky

Look at Colorado from 2 years ago. Everyone basically predicted regression, but a huge reason why they were playing so far above their talent level was a ridiculous season by varlamov where he nearly won a vezina. That was a pretty average team that had a chance to make a good run, but got bounced early to a team they have historically struggled against

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
People tend to put way too much weight on recent performance, and not pay nearly enough attention to career stats.

Goaltending is just as much of a concern for us now as it was a week ago, regardless of Reimer's great recent performance. But goaltending a week ago was not as much of a concern as people were making it out to be, regardless of our goalie's slow starts to the season.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I agree 100%.

The problem is simply getting that 1A goalie. Guys like Price or quick are rarely traded, and even top goalie prospects are far from a guarantee, so you're left chasing 1b/2a types and hoping for a great / breakout / career year, which is always risky

Look at Colorado from 2 years ago. Everyone basically predicted regression, but a huge reason why they were playing so far above their talent level was a ridiculous season by varlamov where he nearly won a vezina. That was a pretty average team that had a chance to make a good run, but got bounced early to a team they have historically struggled against

Premier/blue chip goalie prospects are however traded a lot more than blue chip forward/defencemen.

They're usually thrown around as trade air since there are only 30 starter jobs available in the NHL, teams can only hang on to them for so long before they're forced into a trade.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Bernier just isn't that good, he isn't a number one on most teams in the NHL and Reimer is a free agent. That leaves Bibeau. Truth is we are weak in that position and do need to address it soon.We have the likes of JVR,Kadri and Gardiner as bait for a top G prospect. Drafting will take too long and is dicey. I think Lou will hunt for a stud G prospect who is close and we will pay the price as Lou knows how important it is.But as far as this year goes? Go ahead tank, this team gets blown up by TD anyway. I would say outside Reilly, make me an offer, including a 2nd rounder for Bernier, not that anyone would pay that for a $4M/yr. backup who lets in one soft goal per game.

Neither guy is good

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I think allot to do with goal-tending is confidence. Reimer looked like he completely fell apart in the series against Boston and the 'Reimer confidence' since then has never been the same. It wasn't the performance melt-down, it was the emotional melt-down. A goalie like Patrick Roy (or one from Finland :naughty: )would never look shaken. And if anything, it would be anger that would emerge. What we'll see is the team continue to improve on Babcock's work ethic and system and a new goalie will emerge. This goalie will be considered better but he's probably not going to be any better then Reimer or Bernier. But the confidence in them won't be shattered.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad