Is goaltending a real concern for the Leafs

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
I would literally use every single draft pick round 3 and on to draft goalies and hope one of them pans out. I'm tired of the sieves year after year

We haven't had quality goaltending since Belfour that was 12 years ago

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Unless Bibeau is the guy we either need to steal one in the draft or trade for our own Martin Jones.

Neither of our current goalies are good enough to take us to the next level. But again, I think management is fully aware of this and let them play this year to ensure a good pick for us.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Unless Bibeau is the guy we either need to steal one in the draft or trade for our own Martin Jones.

Neither of our current goalies are good enough to take us to the next level. But again, I think management is fully aware of this and let them play this year to ensure a good pick for us.

we did trade for our own Martin Jones.
his name is Jonathan Bernier and a lot of people don't think he can hack it.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
No we are not, there is to much ego and to many guys used to winning to allow us to suck for 5 years, 3 years at MOST

I don't think they will try and tank the centennial year, its unfortunate it's right in the middle of the rebuild, I could be wrong I just don't see it happening.

Plus I suspect if Stamkos is available Shanahan is going to drive a brinks truck to his house.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Goalies are so hard to predict. Bernier was taken as the first goalie, 11th overall in 2006, a strong goalie year with 3 other goalies taken in the first round. He lost his destined starting job in LA to Quick taken the year before in the 3rd round (8th goalie selected). And Bernier has not really run away with the starting job from Reimer who was picked as the 11th goalie selected (4th round) same year as Bernier was seen as the cream of the crop.

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
Goalies are so hard to predict. Bernier was taken as the first goalie, 11th overall in 2006, a strong goalie year with 3 other goalies taken in the first round. He lost his destined starting job in LA to Quick taken the year before in the 3rd round (8th goalie selected). And Bernier has not really run away with the starting job from Reimer who was picked as the 11th goalie selected (4th round) same year as Bernier was seen as the cream of the crop.

Our goalie prospects are a complete unknown as well. They really are hard to predict. Wasn't Markstrom once seen as the #1 goalie prospect in the world? Where did that hype go? Anyways I say spend a 4-7 rounder every year on a Euro goalie. I think we don't have to sign them until after 4 years right?

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Our goalie prospects are a complete unknown as well. They really are hard to predict. Wasn't Markstrom once seen as the #1 goalie prospect in the world? Where did that hype go? Anyways I say spend a 4-7 rounder every year on a Euro goalie. I think we don't have to sign them until after 4 years right?

It depends on the age at the draft. 18 and 19 years old European Players need to be signed within 4 years. 20 and older guys within 2 years.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I am confused.

We traded for our "Martin Jones " already. it was Bernier and people don't think he can handle it. I wouldn't go proclaiming we should trade for a "martin jones". this is what? game 1 -15 as a starter

we should be trading for a Schneider , not a jones.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
I think just 2 teams, the Blues and (can't think of the other team) have a two goalie model. Both Elliott and Allen are paid about the same - I just checked Fanager, they get 2.5 and 2.3 million per year.

The vast majority of teams have a starter between 5 and 10 times the backup's salary/cap value. Lots of teams with a starter at 5 or 6 million and a backup at 500 to 600 thou per year.

I really wonder if this model is the best model or the model of the future.

Especially as it was shown in this thread (i think) how starters perhaps are playing fewer games than in the past. And then there's the injury issue - if the 6 million dollar guy gets injured then so much for the philosophy that the team is better than one player or a team should be able to win if one of it's best players goes down.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
I think just 2 teams, the Blues and (can't think of the other team) have a two goalie model. Both Elliott and Allen are paid about the same - I just checked Fanager, they get 2.5 and 2.3 million per year.

The vast majority of teams have a starter between 5 and 10 times the backup's salary/cap value. Lots of teams with a starter at 5 or 6 million and a backup at 500 to 600 thou per year.

I really wonder if this model is the best model or the model of the future.

Especially as it was shown in this thread (i think) how starters perhaps are playing fewer games than in the past. And then there's the injury issue - if the 6 million dollar guy gets injured then so much for the philosophy that the team is better than one player or a team should be able to win if one of it's best players goes down.

Leafs are not bad with 2 good backups in Bernier and Reimer. Bernier is only overpaid. It seems the biggest mistake was to overuse them when most other teams avoid to play a goalie b2b. I think it can be said that alternating both would have been much better, especially when it's known that Bernier starts slow into seasons, but he started 7 of 10 games. Makes me think it was intended to overuse them to keep the tank.

To me a starter is a goalie who performed well with a workload of a playoff round, 7 games in 2 weeks. Bernier never did this workload, but that's not a problem if it's intended to alternate 2 good backups.

YOYOTCROSTER*

Lenny when Leafs had a good start to the season a couple years ago Carlyle was alternating goalies and they were pushing each other to greater heights. We had some amazing goaltending performances and many wins that the team did not deserve to win based on shots and puck possession. We got off to a great start then Reimer had a minor concussion and he went downhill fast (who knows if he came back to quick) and then Bernier had his groin injury and we tanked.

Maybe just go back to alternating and having both backups push each other back to great heights. I for one am not sold on the #1 plays most games and #2 plays to give #1 the rest. At least not with these 2 backups.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
I think this team's mishandling of Reimer has killed his confidence, and their generally terrible play has killed Bernier's confidence too.

The Leafs don't have a real concern because they need to do poorly the next couple of years to stock the cupboard anyways.. but after that point they need a good, stable, goaltender for the kids to play in front of to make sure that they don't get their development curbed.

So wait a year or two.. either one of these guys will get back on the horse or you'll be replacing them anyways but on an up and coming team instead of a team going the other way.

StevieBlunder

Jun 17, 2015
This draft we ought to be looking closely at what's available goaltender-wise. Trading is just so risky. Everyone assumed we had a steal with Bernier and that hasn't exactly panned out yet.

At this point I think goaltending is lower on the list of priorities, which gives us time to see if we can get a prospect pretty cheap or dig around and see what's available in the next couple of drafts. It's definitely a big hole in the team, but what isn't is a better question.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I don't think they will try and tank the centennial year, its unfortunate it's right in the middle of the rebuild, I could be wrong I just don't see it happening.

Plus I suspect if Stamkos is available Shanahan is going to drive a brinks truck to his house.

As he should

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Here is an interesting quote from elliotte friedman

“To me right now, the biggest question this organization has is: ‘What are we going to look like in goal in three years?’

“That is the question I think they’ve got to be asking. I know they’ve started looking around and seeing what is available out there. Because I look at their organization right now and I see young players coming at forward. I see some young defensemen. I don’t see clarity long term in goal. And in this league, if you don’t have goaltending – you don’t got nothing"

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

“To me right now, the biggest question this organization has is: ‘What are we going to look like in goal in three years?’

“That is the question I think they’ve got to be asking. I know they’ve started looking around and seeing what is available out there. Because I look at their organization right now and I see young players coming at forward. I see some young defensemen. I don’t see clarity long term in goal. And in this league, if you don’t have goaltending – you don’t got nothing"

Seems pretty obvious.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

Seems pretty obvious.

Yes true - but advocates of both Bernier and Reimer do not agree

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
I dont know if you could draft a goalie right now and hope he's going to be a number 1 for you in the future unless it's a prospect at the Luongo/Price range. any other goalies will probably take 5-6 years to even know what we have. let alone be a true #1, so unless Sparks or Bibeau is the real deal your probably looking at either getting a stop gap for a guy you do draft or trading/signing someone. as I know were rebuilding but Management isn't going to wait 5-6 years for a prospect to develop. so were going to have to go out and aqcuire someone unless Bernier/Reimer/Sparks/Bibeau can take the spot.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Didn't Godla get drafted?

but I get your point. I was chanting all Saturday at the draft to draft a goalie. I love all we did draft but .... we need to be drafting them soon. or acquiring them.

again - I don't think

A: Gibson
B: Vasi

are attainable those are the futures of both Anaheim + Tampa.

we could trade for Samsonov (Wash). and other teams who have a "well" of Goalies, i suppose.

Godla was not drafted. He looked like a young tukka Rask to me the way he was erratically good and a real battler. The leafs should sign him i think. They could leave his development take place in europe too.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Yes true - but advocates of both Bernier and Reimer do not agree

Well the defenders of Bernier has just said that we shouldn't give up on him yet. The defenders of Reimer is mainly saying that he is not awful. I don't think anyone is saying that we have "clarity in goal" in the future.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
We all have seen enough of both Reimer and Bernier and I have come to the conclusion that we do need a legit # 1 goalie

What's your take on it

Do we need a starting goalie and why?

I've been saying this for the last bunch of drafts........DRAFT A TOP GOALIE.

I have no idea why we neglect that, year in and year out. The last top Goalie we drafted was Tuuka Rask, and guess what.........he's pretty good.

It wouldn't hurt us to use a 2nd rounder on a good goalie for once. Right away, in fact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad