Is goaltending a real concern for the Leafs

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
It's the team, not the goalies.

Look at how Dubnyk goes from sieve on the Oilers to decent goalie on the Wild/Yotes. How Rask doesn't look so great now that Boston's D is weaker. How Condon can come onto Montreal and posts great #s. How all these LA/NYR backups posting .920+ % go to terrible #s on weak teams. Even if the Leafs acquired an established top 5 in league goalie tomorrow he would not help much.

I believe that teams can take on certain cultures which is why a lot of clubs always seem to have the same character even when the players change, and the Leafs culture for the last 10 years would if described in one word be 'loose' and bordering on 'defeatist'. The good news is this can be changed, and if anyone can change this to 'tight' and 'winning' it would be Babcock and Lamoriello but it can take time. Look at the Washington Capitals, took years and some growing pains to instill more of a defensive minded culture but it seems to have taken hold. Until that happens on the Leafs, there's very little possibility of a goalie to thrive.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
We haven't had quality goaltending since 2004 - Ed Belfour

Enough is enough. Get a good goalie here. That is the 1 position in the NHL that can make a huge difference between a good team and a **** team

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
If you breakdown ES save % you'll find that Reimer is a pretty good goalie, as is Bernier. The drop in their save % comes from the fact the team is near the bottom of the league on the PK. You could argue that the teams PK is bad because of the goalies, but I would disagree as the PK is not about the goalies ability as much as it is about the teams. The year the leafs made the playoffs (2013) the PK was tops in the league. Low and behold Reimer's ES save % was .924 and his PK SV% was .923. Watching the games it was clearly a team effort in killing those penalties not just the goalie.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
If you breakdown ES save % you'll find that Reimer is a pretty good goalie, as is Bernier. The drop in their save % comes from the fact the team is near the bottom of the league on the PK. You could argue that the teams PK is bad because of the goalies, but I would disagree as the PK is not about the goalies ability as much as it is about the teams. The year the leafs made the playoffs (2013) the PK was tops in the league. Low and behold Reimer's ES save % was .924 and his PK SV% was .923. Watching the games it was clearly a team effort in killing those penalties not just the goalie.

I'd always say, if that Leaf club could cut down on GA, and improve their PK, they would be just fine.

This is a different club.

My issue with the current goaltenders is that neither one has proven to be a ~70 game player. We should be looking for one like that.

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
I'd always say, if that Leaf club could cut down on GA, and improve their PK, they would be just fine.

This is a different club.

My issue with the current goaltenders is that neither one has proven to be a ~70 game player. We should be looking for one like that.

I have always said that if they could cut down on GA and improve their GF significantly, this team would be better.

:sarcasm:

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
The way Reimer is playing now - you guys think he is the solution or are we going to need a starting goalie down the road

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
The way Reimer is playing now - you guys think he is the solution or are we going to need a starting goalie down the road

I think Reimer is good enough for a 2 goalie punch. You don't need a starter, but Reimer showed the last 7 games that he can play a playoff round alone and with elite performance.
Only needed now is another backup type for backup money like Greiss and Neuvirth. Since Bernier can't be traded with his contract you have to keep him, play him now as a backup and later evaluate new and 2017 there is Sparks.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I think Reimer is good enough for a 2 goalie punch. You don't need a starter, but Reimer showed the last 7 games that he can play a playoff round alone and with elite performance.
Only needed now is another backup type for backup money like Greiss and Neuvirth. Since Bernier can't be traded with his contract you have to keep him, play him now as a backup and later evaluate new and 2017 there is Sparks.

:laugh:

Yes. 7 games, 18 games into a season are exactly the same as a 7 game playoff round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad