• Yes, we are just unlucky

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • No, we cant score a goal to save our life or play defense at the same time

Votes: 15 48.4%
  • Yes, it's the stupid players that cant execute

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • I dont know, what system is it?

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • No, are you kidding? Have you been watching our special teams?

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
This is pretty much exactly what I expected from Jagr this season and you were likely kidding yourself if you expected much more. It's clear that his brain still thinks the game on a high level, it's just that he loses his breath quickly and his muscles are in atrophy. But his ability to understand the game alone makes him a great third liner.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Not even a big Corsi guy but the Flames are 2nd in the league in CF and 6th in CF%. So if that's the system's purpose I don't really see how people can say it's not working.

There's somethings I really like about it and some I don't. I like how the Flames break up the forecheck and force dump ins. They break out effectively and support the puck in their own zone very well. When executed properly it limits scoring chances for the other team. Our centers play high and clog the NZ effectively, our dmen stand up at our blueline, and with Smith back there to recover and distribute pucks it's a hard system to break.

What I don't like about it is that our blue line has been totally neutered. When you have dmen like Gio, Brodie, and Hamilton they should be joining the rush at every opportunity. The Flames are okay in transition but they aren't creating enough odd man rushes and they aren't creating enough speed through the neutral zone. I would have the dmen pinching way more too, especially if the center is back in position. Even if you make the safe play 9/10 times you're still giving the opponents time and space they haven't earned. Risk IMO is wildly underrated in today's NHL.

The special teams have been wildly inconsistent. Don't really feel the Flames are being nearly aggressive enough on the PP or PK. The PP setup takes forever to establish and when it does it takes forever to get anything through. How exactly is Johnny supposed to make a play on the half boards against a standard box PK? He should be closer to the goal line making one touch passes. The PP in general should be two, three passes at most and then drive the net. There is no urgency with the PP1 setup and maybe I'm just old-school but I'd like a guy with a clapper back there.

Bang on.
We out-chance and out-shoot most teams 5v5. But by doing so don't really have a flow to our game.

Outside of a bad PP, this team is working just fine. They create a lot, and shoot a lot; there's some lack of killer instinct there, but I think as Chucky/Bennett establish themselves more that'll come.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
This is pretty much exactly what I expected from Jagr this season and you were likely kidding yourself if you expected much more. It's clear that his brain still thinks the game on a high level, it's just that he loses his breath quickly and his muscles are in atrophy. But his ability to understand the game alone makes him a great third liner.

Wait, we're not getting 25 year old league dominating Jagr?!

Reactions: Cyrano

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

I thought he would still be decent 5 on 5, not the liability that he is.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Bang on.
We out-chance and out-shoot most teams 5v5. But by doing so don't really have a flow to our game.

Outside of a bad PP, this team is working just fine. They create a lot, and shoot a lot; there's some lack of killer instinct there, but I think as Chucky/Bennett establish themselves more that'll come.

If that is true perhaps the system isn't working or just flat out sucks.

Because we can complain about luck all we want but it has been one year, one play-offs and now a quarter of a season of hockey that is not close to good enough results wise and its tough to think that is because of bad bounces and luck.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Not even a big Corsi guy but the Flames are 2nd in the league in CF and 6th in CF%. So if that's the system's purpose I don't really see how people can say it's not working.

Just looking at their record in the standing?

Cant really say it's luck because it's been 2 yrs now.

Either the system is incomplete. They may look good but it's not producing the results.

Or basically the other teams just have the better goalies.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Wait, we're not getting 25 year old league dominating Jagr?!

It's foolish to even assume we'd be getting the 60pt guy he was a few years ago in Florida. Jagr has stayed an effective player longer than virtually anyone else in NHL history, but old doesn't mean ageless. At some point there's a steep decline.

He would probably make a pretty good coach though given his ability to consistently make the smart play, and his ability to change his game as he's gotten older to both things his body can still do as well as things that are still effective in today's NHL.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
This coaching staff isn't gonna be here come next year. Whether or not Treliving follows them out will be up to him. We're going nowhere fast this season

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Can we rename this thread

“It’s time to purge the coaching staff”

Because it’s time to do that.

Agreed, This win one lose one and blown out by garbage teams is enough already.

Seriously what kind of teams get blown out by Det and Ottawa (even Mon despite the final score)

Are we ready to make a run or not?

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I’m starting to wonder is this system isn’t designed to hold back the young stars and force them into taking on more defensive responsibilities. When we’re down in the last 10 and throw the system out, we have no problem scoring. Let’s face it, this team is going no where fast, if only 1 out of 4 lines can play in all situations. Hopefully in the new year the reins come off and we fill the net. At least that’s how I’m starting to justify it in my head

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I have come to the conclusion that the way this team is playing does not yield long term sustainable positive results, despite what Gully says otherwise. This team will look elite for short stretches, then bad for short stretches and so goes the cycle of life.

What we are constantly being sold is that it’s about the process and if the process is maintained the results will come over time. I don’t buy it, that’s not what my eyes see. This roster is talented as heck and I want a coach that can just flat out get the most of the majority of its players. I think Gully is a good assistant coach because he’s very smart and can teach good defence, but he’s not a head coach IMO. A good head coach needs to be a puppet master, I don’t see that in Gully and I do like him, he seems like a good guy.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Let’s blame the coach when like one player decides to play good...

Myself, I am critical of him based on the results we’ve had this season overall. I don’t care about last night but it’s a good summary of the season. He’s not a new coach anymore, he has the same roster with upgrades, we should be challenging for the division and thus far have been far to inconsistent to do that. We even have a legit #1 goalie. This team should be much better than they have been.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I still like our 5 on 5 system. That’s Glen’s job.

Our PP and PK. Pretty bad.

Honestly this team has not performed as well as they should have. I put that on the players because often this team seems disinterested. Can Gully be blamed for not being a motivator? Yes. Can he be blamed for throwing in the Matt Bartkowski’s? Absolutely. But he still has great x’s and o’s.

Also, Sigalet. Seems like every goalie he gets gets worse under him.

Reactions: Dack

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Who's in charge of hiring his assistants? I know GG brought Gerard with him but who decided that Cameron who ran the 30th ranked PP in Ottawa was a good choice for a PP coach?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Snipes, I do think Gully is really smart and I think at times his system has worked to perfection. But I don’t think he’s a great motivator because our group is inconsistent from week to week like you pointed out. He’s always like, the players need to figure this out. And while that may be true, I don’t think he’s pushing the right buttons to help guys to get there. He doesn’t go into the dressing room after most games, which I don’t agree with, that’s when the most positive or negative reinforcement can occur. Like I said, I think he’s a really good coach, I just don’t think he’s head coach material.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Snipes, I do think Gully is really smart and I think at times his system has worked to perfection. But I don’t think he’s a great motivator because our group is inconsistent from week to week like you pointed out. He’s always like, the players need to figure this out. And while that may be true, I don’t think he’s pushing the right buttons to help guys to get there. He doesn’t go into the dressing room after most games, which I don’t agree with, that’s when the most positive or negative reinforcement can occur. Like I said, I think he’s a really good coach, I just don’t think he’s head coach material.

That’s fair and I have the same concerns.

I just don’t get why the team needs to be motivated by the coach. Motivation comes from inside the individual. I feel like if we fire Gulutzan then we might end up in this cycle where the coach is always the problem when actually it’s the players.

I am a big believer in staying the course and not over reacting. Plus I think we have decent depth on our prospect pool so we don’t really need to make any drastic moves despite not having our first.

If they fail to make the playoffs the yeah, someone needs to lose a job. I just have a lot of confidence in this team. When any teams stars aren’t playing well it’s tough to win. But there are so many elements to like about this team.

Starting from now on I expect them to be in the zone and a good team. No more Jeckell and Hyde.

Just Jeckell, or maybe in the Flames case we need to be just Hyde.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Gulutzan has mentioned it himself countless times. Our players only start playing when it's easy, when we're 3-0 down and got nothing to lose.

He's said it's time this team starts playing with confidence and the swagger that comes with being a good team. But my biggest gripe with him is that it's not enough to identify the problem and say "they need to be better".

We've got a relatively young team with no pedigree of playoff success. If we were the St. Louis Blues or San Jose Sharks, then yeah it's on the players for not being prepared. But because we're not, building that confidence and easing those nerves is on the coach. GG is a smart tactician but that's not good enough right now

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
I have to keep reminding myself that this is just his second year as a head coach. Just as we're willing to give young players time, we should be willing to do the same with coaches, especially since coaching is much more difficult than playing.

I think Gulutzan could end up being a very good head coach. Maybe even good enough to coach the right team to a championship. I want to give the process time... right now it's just frustrating because the group looks listless under him and we've been told this is our year.

Reactions: Janks

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I have to keep reminding myself that this is just his second year as a head coach. Just as we're willing to give young players time, we should be willing to do the same with coaches, especially since coaching is much more difficult than playing.

I think Gulutzan could end up being a very good head coach. Maybe even good enough to coach the right team to a championship. I want to give the process time... right now it's just frustrating because the group looks listless under him and we've been told this is our year.

Second year here but he had two bad years in Dallas as well and some bad years as an assistant coach in Vancouver in between.

Also with the trades we have made and the age/contracts of the team I am not sure we are in the position to be patient and wait for a coach to develop.

Reactions: Flames 1st pick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad