Is Artemi Panarin a Hall of Fame Winger?

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
I'm surprised at how many people are strictly judging Hall of Fame worthiness on career totals. I'm not saying Panarin has done enough so far to get in, but there's a lot more to evaluating a player and his place in history than the bottom of a column on hockeydb.
There can be 2 differents conversation at the same time.

Should Panarin be an inductee in the hall vs trying to predict if he will be ?

Historically Winning and totals influence voters a lot, you just give examples in your own text.

Panarin certainly has the career start, all-star finish (is there any 3 time All-star selected to not end up in the Hall ? Leclair, Naslund seem the only 2 after a very quick look) to end up being in the HOF, but knowing voters, compiling or winning will probably be required (both things he could very well do, but a late start in the nhl and the HOF not caring for the KHL put him behind a bit).

Mike Green had 2 first team all star early and will not get into the Hall, maybe Huberdeau will miss, Heatley had a 9-4-4, 6-5-2-8-9-8 in top 10 goals, 2 all-star teams, disastrous turning of 30 and will probably miss (Lecavalier, there a list of could have been in the hall have they aged better, having good enough peak for it and will not).

Naslund was first team all star 3 year in a row, second place Hart finish, Pearson, 2-2-4, a bit of a legendary junior career, are we certain he will be in the Hall ? Would not bet money on it. Naslund (or Leclair) that start to be elite earlier, age well and compile 1150pts-500 goals with that prime, much more likely.

Last edited:

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Right now, easy answer is no. When all is said and done? He has a shot if he keeps his play up for the next 4-5 years.

maddskkilz

Jan 27, 2016
Hypothetically say Panarin finishes this season with 100 points and garners 1st AST selection.

Age 33 season: 80 points
Age 34 season: 60 points

Gives him career totals of 901 points, PPG, 2x 1st AST, 2x 2nd AST, and Calder. I think that would put him squarely on the cusp.

Winning a Cup, accumulating 1000 points, and / or winning any major award would significantly enhance his candidacy.

But in all honesty with the talent in the league I think it will be tough for him to win Hart or Art Ross, Selke is not in the cards, and Byng doesn’t do much for his resume.

Conn Smythe with a Cup would make him a lock but I think even the trajectory I laid out above makes him a compelling case

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
I was actually surprised he is already 32. I guess he did get a later start than I remember on the Hawks. It is hard to say right now, he has some work to do. I wouldn't say he is trending that way by any means. He has more to prove if he wants a shot.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Only if he reaches a 1000 games and 1200 points. There are better guys with better stats that haven't been selected yet. He'll have a good career but it's not going to happen.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
If you have to think about it or look up stats to answer this question then the player is not HOF worthy, this applies to any sport imo.
Yep.

As soon as you go reaching for the stats, he shouldn't be a HOFer. Obviously the committee doesn't see it that way. Which had made it a joke establishment.

That said, I don't think he would be a bad inductee per se.

Reactions: wetcoast

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
He should easily make the Russian Hockey Hall of Fame. The NHL one will need his next 5 years to have roughly 400 points, a major individual award and a Cup.

Definitely not impossible as he is on a strong team. I wouldn't say likely though.

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
Too late for a Hawks cup win. Too early and missed the Russian gold medal

Was part of the Jackets team that upset TB but then flopped

In NY is great but his high goal season is 32.

He's a great player but cycling powerplay assists are racking up. Im sure he still has a great highlight reel

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Russians should not be inducted into the HHOF until Russia gets the f*** outta you know where.
Well, have to tell you Datsyuk and Kovalchuk are eligible next year I believe.

They finally stopped playing after the 20-21 KHL seasons.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
He’s the kinda player that while that had elite seasons, will be forgotten about how good he was decades after he was retired.

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
Well, have to tell you Datsyuk and Kovalchuk are eligible next year I believe.

They finally stopped playing after the 20-21 KHL seasons.
Well, obviously the HHOF doesn't give a f*** what I think, I was just expressing my opinion and I don't care if people don't like it, I'm not here to make friends with any of you.

Zorak

Dec 19, 2007
I'm pretty sure Naslund should be in the Hall (to the poster above), Panarin will probably miss it by the hair, unless he wins Cup+Smythe.

maddskkilz

Jan 27, 2016
A Cup + Smythe along with a couple more decent seasons and career totals >900 would give him better than 80% odds to make it. His closest player comparisons might be Daniel Alfreddson and Henrik Zetterberg

Compared to Alfrredsson, Panarin has more ASTs but is considerably short of point totals (for now)

Zetterberg has the Cup + Conn Smythe but only 1x 2nd AST and less than PPG career with 960 points in 1000 games

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He needs at least 3 probably 4 more years of better than point per game scoring and more than less injury free hockey to have a real case. That means being very productive moving past his mid 30's. Keeping also in mind that there are guys who deserve to be in---like Mogilny and some other guys who are in who maybe are reaches. It's not like the HOF doesn't have some questionable picks. I'd make a case for Kovalev too. It would also help if Artemi picked up his playoff scoring and maybe won a Cup.

maddskkilz

Jan 27, 2016
Kovalev is unbelievably talented player and a number of pros have stated that he is the most skilled player they’ve ever seen or played with. Unfortunately in terms of career accomplishments and HHOF standards he isn’t even in the ballpark.

One 2nd team AST, 1 Cup, and 1000 points with no awards or even respectable award finishes means he’s not even a debatable candidate. Never hit 50 goals or 100 points in a season. Panarin is much more accomplished and recognized than Kovalev already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad