Is Aaron Ekblad a #1 D-man?

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
No, he's one of the most overrated players in the league on here. He's a very good defenseman who has the potential to be a franchise guy, but so far his minutes and competition have been somewhat limited compared to true number 1s, and Campbell was the driving player on his pairing

Campbell was not the driving player :laugh: this notion of Campbell carrying or even being better than Ekblad is absolute nonsense. Anyone who watches them play can see that. Ekblad was the reason Campbell looked good not the other way around.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Funny how Ekblad is still perceived as the better player in comparison to Klingberg, ever since their rookie seasons.

Only at HF..

dbhislife

Jun 27, 2007
This is such a flawed argument. There are like 14-16 true #1 dmen. A #1 dmen is a guy who can lead the defense and shut down other teams top lines and can carry a pairing. Ekblad isnt that yet. Muzzin and Barrie were voted top 30 dmen on here, do you think they are #1 dmen as well? Komarov is a top 30 right winger, I guess hes a 1st liner then right? Ekblad is a solid #2 right now but will be an elite franchise dmen soon. He gets heavily overrated on here though. People act like he is already what he will become but he hasnt yet.

No.... your argument is the one that is flawed. By definition, a #1 defensemen is a defensemen who, with perfectly parity, would be the top defensemen on his team. There has to be 30, just like there has to be 30 #1 (i.e. starting) goalies in the league. Its the same with fantasy sports. Its why TMB refers to #11 and #12 as his low-end RB1s.

The metric for what that is might change, i.e. we can say that the #1 Centers today are (on average) weaker han the #1 Centers of 2000 if we want. But there still has to be 30. The quality can just fluctuate.

Ekblad is a top 20ish Dman in the league, so he's a #1.

Last edited:

dbhislife

Jun 27, 2007
So at exactly what point does another 1 Center, 1 Defenceman, and 2 Wingers get the "promotion" to #1C/W/D with Las Vegas entering the league? Does it happen now, knowing that it's coming? Does it happen the day they're selected in the expansion draft? Does it happen at the end of Las Vegas' first game? :laugh:

You can take a hardline stance on there being as many #1s of everything as there are teams, but tying the quantity of #1s to the number of teams is latching on to a convenient, but practically irrelevant number. What really doesn't make sense, is offering up that promotion based on something that in no way reflects a talent/ability level in the player.

As in the example...Las Vegas entering the league doesn't magically upgrade the talent of 1 extra C/LW/RW/D/G to "#1" level. Assessing the talent level and ability is a massively more useful and descriptive definition of #1C/D/etc. Which is where there are typically less than 30 (or 31) true #1 Defencemen - it's a completely reasonable and logical premise.

No it doesn't upgrade the talent. It decreases the bar they have to meet by 1 slot (aka 31 top center slots available vs 30).

dbhislife

Jun 27, 2007
You're looking at the description way too literally, and not looking at it from a more contextual sense.

For instance, Malkin is 2C in Pittsburgh, while Kadri was 1C in Toronto. Does it make any sense whatsoever to argue that Kadri is a true #1C, while Malkin is only a 2C just because that's how their respective teams employed them?

A #1 defenseman is a guy who any coach/team would feel comfortable utilizing as a #1 defenseman if he was on their roster. Just because the worst team in the league employs a guy the most minutes, doesn't mean he's actually a #1 because if he played for any other team in the league he'd be buried on the second or third pairing (see Schultz, Justin as proof of this).

The guy you're quoting literally never said this. 30 #1 centers does not mean everyone has one. It means there are 30 slots available to fulfill that position. Obviously Pitts (and a few others) have 2, and a few have 0. The league isn't perfect parity.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
No, he's one of the most overrated players in the league on here. He's a very good defenseman who has the potential to be a franchise guy, but so far his minutes and competition have been somewhat limited compared to true number 1s, and Campbell was the driving player on his pairing
No he was not. Speaking of overrated, that would be Campbell. I'm not saying Ekblad is a #1, but he sure wasn't carried by Campbell.
Ekblad definitely has the potential to be a #1 D, I'm not sure he is one right now though.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Complete package, can do all things well. I don't know how he wouldn't be a #1.

He gets some pretty sheltered minutes. Which he should get as a young defenseman. But until he starts getting the most difficult assignments, I can't call him a true #1D. He'll get there eventually though

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
As a side note, does Campbell being gone this year help Ekblad take a big step forward?

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
No.... your argument is the one that is flawed. By definition, a #1 defensemen is a defensemen who, with perfectly parity, would be the top defensemen on his team. There has to be 30, just like there has to be 30 #1 (i.e. starting) goalies in the league. Its the same with fantasy sports. Its why TMB refers to #11 and #12 as his low-end RB1s.

The metric for what that is might change, i.e. we can say that the #1 Centers today are (on average) weaker han the #1 Centers of 2000 if we want. But there still has to be 30. The quality can just fluctuate.

Your definition is flawed. #1 Dman doesn't care about the number of teams, he either is good enough to be one or he's not.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He's a #1D on some teams, but can't call him elite #1D today.
Wouldn't be surprised if he was at the end of next season.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015

This makes no sense. By your definition that means kadri is a #1C lol

jrmysell

Feb 7, 2015
St. Kitts

He's not saying that. He's saying if you rank all centers or all D, the top 30 of them are #1's. Not the top C or D per team. Hence Malkin would be much higher on the list than 30-60, hence he's a #1 C. Kadri would not be in the top 30 C's listed in the NHL, hence he's not a #1 C. Essentially he's saying if every team was perfectly even, i.e. every team got a top 30 C, top 30 RW, top 30 LW, 31-60 C, LW, RW, 61-90 C, LW, RW, 91 C, LW, RW, top 30 D, 31-60 D, etc... every team would then have a #1 C, LW, RW, D, G, a #2 C, LW, RW, D, G, etc...

dbhislife

Jun 27, 2007
Your definition is flawed. #1 Dman doesn't care about the number of teams, he either is good enough to be one or he's not.

No it makes total sense. You're trying to use some random marker we establish based on how good we want our top players to be. I'm saying there is a bar at all times in the league; that bar may just move as the league develops or player caliber changes.

When there were six teams we didn't have a situation where there were eight #1 centers. No one thinks in those terms. Center #7 back then was an elite second line player because, even in perfect parity (i.e. the top 6 centers each on different teams), center #7 would have not had a spot on a top line. So the reciprocal is also not true. 30 spots to be a top line center, that's the definition of a #1 center. Now we could make tons of claims like:

(1) Only the top 15 #1 centers are actually good enough to lead their teams to cups;
(2) The bottom half of the #1 centers today are weaker than they used to be;
(3) Only the top 10 #1 centers are true superstars;
etc.

But there are 30 #1 centers. There have to be, just like there are twelve RB1s in a 12 person fantasy football league. RB11 and RB12 might suck one year, but they're still an RB1 ranking wise so long as they finish ahead of he 13th guy. What team said RBs are on is totally irrelevant. I can own the top 3 RBs, but that doesn't change the fact that they all rank as RB1s, and there are 12 RB1s.

In the same sense, Ekblad is a lower tier (I'd say bottom half or third) #1 D. He's probably not yet good enough to be the superstar D-man that leads his team to a cup. But if we spread the 30 best defensemen out across the 30 teams, he'd be the #1 on one of those teams. So he's a #1.

re: Kadri-- I'd have to think it through. My guess is he's a fringe #1 center or an upper #2. I'm betting I could find 30 centers in the NHL I'd prefer to Kadri. Just because he's he #1 on his team doesn't make him a #1. The guy above me gets it (TY good sir). FWIW; Certainly not the be-all-end-all in analysis, but he was far from top 30 among centers in scoring last season....

Last edited:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

No, that's your definition

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
To me a #1 defenseman is someone that would be adequate in such a role on a team that wants to compete for the cup. Who cares about the 30th best defenseman in the league if no team could expect winning the cup with that guy as their #1.

Esko

Sep 23, 2015
Does Dolly Parton sleep on her back?

Yes Ekblad is a #1 defenseman.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
Man oh man I can't believe how misunderstood my post was.

I'm not saying every defenseman has a #1D: of course not.

I am saying that across the league in total, the top 30 defenseman are necessarily #1D.

If you took the best 30 defenseman in the league and ensured each team got exactly 1 of those defenseman, how on earth could you make the argument that one of these players is "not a #1D"?

It just doesn't make any sense to me, but if any of you disagree with my definition go nuts: it's just a term, and a meaningless one at that if you reject the objective definition I have provided.

Instead I will say that yes, Ekblad is a top 30 defenseman. Happy?

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa

Att least someone sees what I'm saying...

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
That's the only definition that makes sense...

It's a forced arbitrary definition that doesn't actually say anything about the quality of the player (aka the one thing that matters when determining whether he is a #1D or not).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad