IOC bans Russia from 2018 Winter Olympics (formerly KHL considering dropping out of Olympics)

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
@mouser and other hf lawyer types:

If Russia were to take the step of removing the KHL from the IIHF would that render all the contracts void (well not void, but non-enforceable by IIHF sanctions) since it would remove them from the transfer agreement, leaving any player willing to walk away from the money free to play in the Olympics?

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Would have been interesting to see if IOC would have banned Russia from Sochi.

Reactions: jd22

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Debating which countries have the worst hooligans has nothing to do with this topic.

Let’s carry on without that.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Seems like pretty short notice to cobble together a team of invites that are willing to play especially with uncertainty about the KHL. At this point I'm assuming there won't be a Russian (OAR) team in Pyeongchang.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
BobbyMac:

Just got off the phone with IIHF president Rene Fasel, who says it’s “too early” to make any declarations on where we go from here. More from Fasel: “We need 24 to 48 hours to see where things are at. This is the first time in history we’ve had to deal with something like this...

More Fasel: “We will see where things are tomorrow, in the next 48 hours. We have to see how Russia will react. We need to talk to our (IIHF) people, we need to talk to the Russians. It’s too early make statements.”

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !

If Russia were to take the step of removing the KHL from the IIHF would that render all the contracts void (well not void, but non-enforceable by IIHF sanctions) since it would remove them from the transfer agreement, leaving any player willing to walk away from the money free to play in the Olympics?

Not a lawyer type but just my opinion...

If we trust and believe everything media feeds us...the big bad guy is the Russia. If I was a Russian athlete, I would not go to the Olympics despite being the best in my discipline because I may have very serious issues back home in mother Russialand.

But once again, just my opinion.

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Not a lawyer type but just my opinion...

If we trust and believe everything media feeds us...the big bad guy is the Russia. If I was a Russian athlete, I would not go to the Olympics despite being the best in my discipline because I may have very serious issues back home in mother Russialand.

But once again, just my opinion.

I cant really imagine them having any issues if they do attend & compete ps. Very likely receive a Hero's Welcome Home if they Medal.... Really really unfortunate for all the Russian athletes who do compete cleanly. This is really something else. No Russian National Team. From hosting the last Winter Games to being Banned. No NHL. Games being played on the other side of the world. Real convenient for your broadcast audience, bang for buck with the sponsors eh? Way to go IOC.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

So far as I understand the KHL itself is not a member of the IIHF. I don't know whether the KHL and IIHF have any contract or other agreement in place.

The Ice Hockey Federation of Russia is a member of the IIHF. Maybe someone else here can answer how much authority/control the Russian federation has over the KHL?

As for the contracts the devil is in the details. It all depends on what those contracts say.

Saku11

Jan 25, 2010
:laugh: Hahaha ! Serves them right ! Very happy about this....

Last edited by a moderator:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
So far as I understand the KHL itself is not a member of the IIHF. I don't know whether the KHL and IIHF have any contract or other agreement in place.

The Ice Hockey Federation of Russia is a member of the IIHF. Maybe someone else here can answer how much authority/control the Russian federation has over the KHL?

As for the contracts the devil is in the details. It all depends on what those contracts say.
believe the KHL is backed in part by Russian federation, that's why you're seeing Fasel stating that potentially the IIHF dropping said Federation

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin

Earlier in this thread somebody mentioned that the KHL is not under the jurisdiction of the Russian Federation, however they have an agreement in place whereby the KHL must release all players for tournaments in which Russia participates.

Plus, about a year ago the IIHF announced they signed a separate agreement with the KHL to implement their drug policy in that league. Such an agreement wouldn't have been necessary if the KHL operated under the Russian Federation. If they had, the KHL would've already been bound to IIHF rules and regulations.

I'm of the opinion that if Russia doesn't participate, the KHL will be under no legal obligation to release players.

Last edited:

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
The point is mute.

The KHL is likely to release all players as Russian athletes will participate. Putin just said the olympic committee will not impede anyone from participating. Interestingly, the national team (hockey) sent a personal letter to Putin describing their willingness to play.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
The point is mute.

The KHL is likely to release all players as Russian athletes will participate. Putin just said the olympic committee will not impede anyone from participating. Interestingly, the national team (hockey) sent a personal letter to Putin describing their willingness to play.

The thing is...
It wouldn't be the National Team if they participate. Well... It would, but it wouldn't.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
The thing is...
It wouldn't be the National Team if they participate. Well... It would, but it wouldn't.

Would it be amazing if the team played and won gold. Then all the boys started singing the Russian anthem in unison.

And what about flags from crowd/family members ? I know they would be under the OAR flag but what if one or more of them actually takes out of his own belongings the Russian flag and displays it during the medal ceremony ?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Would it be amazing if the team played and won gold. Then all the boys started singing the Russian anthem in unison.

And what about flags from crowd/family members ? I know they would be under the OAR flag but what if one or more of them actually takes out of his own belongings the Russian flag and displays it during the medal ceremony ?

They'd probably face severe restrictions, I suppose.
AT LEAST the same as other "non-national" teams, maybe even more stringent. Especially considering the fact that it's Russia-in-everything-but-in-name.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

It is a very real possibility has they have to be considered the overwhelming favorites as the NHL won't be there.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

Really? I was under the assumption that the KHL had a transfer agreement in place with the European Pro Leagues but refused to sign with the NHL, instead keeping that memorandum of understanding to respect each others contracts.

How much international recourse could they have if the NA players said screw it and walked (with full intention to never play in Russia again) even if it is in breach? With the KHL having no transfer agreement seems like the other leagues would not have to acknowledge the players as having a valid contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad