IOC bans Russia from 2018 Winter Olympics (formerly KHL considering dropping out of Olympics)

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
cannot be, no team sport, only individual athletes are allowed under the Olympic flag

The IOC announcement says team sports will be allowed, but the IOC still has to invite the individual members of the team. Dunno if that just means smaller team sports (e.g. Bobsled) or the larger team sports like Ice Hockey will also be invited.

After discussing and approving the Schmid Report, the IOC EB took the following decision:

To invite individual Russian athletes under strict conditions (see below) to the Olympic Winter Games PyeongChang 2018. These invited athletes will participate, be it in individual or team competitions, under the name “Olympic Athlete from Russia (OAR)”. They will compete with a uniform bearing this name and under the Olympic Flag. The Olympic Anthem will be played in any ceremony.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I'm going to assume that the KHL will now do everything in their power to not allow their players to go to the olympics.

No idea if there is the will to put together a team of Russians not including KHL or NHL rosters.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The IOC announcement says team sports will be allowed, but the IOC still has to invite the individual members of the team. Dunno if that just means smaller team sports (e.g. Bobsled) or the larger team sports like Ice Hockey will also be invited.

I am guessing the IIHF will be told they can invite players born in Russia :dunno:

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
I am assuming they would just make a team named "Hockey Athletes from Russia" and use the Olympic flag. I mean it still not as dumb as lumping leftover countries into one team and calling it "Team Europe".

RossiyaSport

Aug 18, 2017
www.instagram.com
Sensible people should be pointing out the obvious questions. Like how is this being done on the statements of a criminal on the payroll of the Russophobia industry.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Sensible people should be pointing out the obvious questions. Like how is this being done on the statements of a criminal on the payroll of the Russophobia industry.

chartoftheday_5288_the_vast_extent_of_russia_s_state_sponsored_doping_scandal_n.jpg

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Woah, I haven't been paying attention to this

From an SI article:

"The honorary president of Russia’s Olympic Committee believes the man responsible for exposing the country’s state-sponsored doping program should be executed."

Yeesh.

Reactions: Morrison

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Woah, I haven't been paying attention to this

From an SI article:

"The honorary president of Russia’s Olympic Committee believes the man responsible for exposing the country’s state-sponsored doping program should be executed."

Yeesh.

Talk about inhumane. They were cheating got caught and now wants to murder someone.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
NHL just cares about money. This is just a boomerang of an absurd political attack.
its a private hockey league ? Complaining that they only care about money is like complaining that the NHL doesnt do enough to support jazz music.

Plus with all of the money they make, why couldn't they buy their own black mass spec lab with a hole in the wall to ensure that no one in the nhl ever tests postitive ? It seems to work for some.

Wait I stand corrected.

I thin hell jsut froze over, the ioc finally made a decision I can support. Must be a broken clock is right twice a day,

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
and the " black" labs, don't forget the black labs.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
The IOC should follow the World Cup model and cobble a team together under a united banner, individual Russian players included.

That creates a very odd precedent in team sport. What are the requirements for an Athlete from a non-banned nation to compete under the neutral banner?

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Everyone with two brain cells to rub together sees right through you, comrade.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
How IOC's decision could impact Team Canada and Olympic hockey - Sportsnet.ca

Will they go?

Will Ilya Kovalchuk, Pavel Datsyuk and the rest of the Russian hockey team consent to pulling on a sweater featuring the Olympic rings rather than one of their own? Will they even be allowed to?

There was considerable doubt on Tuesday afternoon in the wake of a ruling from the International Olympic Committee that Russian athletes will have to compete as neutrals at the Pyeongchang Games in February. No hockey players were named directly in the reports about that country’s state-sponsored doping program ahead of the 2014 Sochi Olympics, but the IOC felt compelled to impose sanctions across all sports because the violations were deemed so brazen.

"This has caused unprecedented damage to Olympism and to sport," Samuel Schmid, who led the IOC commission into the allegations, told a news conference in Lausanne, Switzerland.

What it will do to the men’s and women’s hockey tournaments remains to be seen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad