International calendar negotiations: NHL, NHLPA - ASG could be eliminated

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
For a bunch of businessmen, they sure don't know business. In order to grow in new markets you typically have to take a loss a first. After the brand becomes more recognized you make a profit. They don't seem to have a problem doing this year and after year in Arizona though.
the whole point of arizona having a team is to grow hockey there. because of the coyotes, matthews became who he is

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
So the NHL went to China because of a promoter and not their own future planning? Canadian media was sure trying hard to paint a picture of hockey being huge there. I guess that explains the lack of follow-up fluff articles.

Is that how the NFL in London is done??
the nfl in london is done because the jacksonville jaguars have terrible attendance every year and an nfl team in london is possible

Bucky_Hoyt

Dec 11, 2005
Singapore
Been saying ditch the all star for WC / Oly and qualification tourneys for a while now.

Year 1 Oly qual
Year 2 Oly
Year 3 WC qual
Year 4 WC

Shut NHL down for 2 weeks mid-season.

Do this by starting season 1 week early and ditch the bye week.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Been saying ditch the all star for WC / Oly and qualification tourneys for a while now.

Year 1 Oly qual
Year 2 Oly
Year 3 WC qual
Year 4 WC

Shut NHL down for 2 weeks mid-season.

Do this by starting season 1 week early and ditch the bye week.
If I remember the KHL proposed something similar in 2012, but European hockey federations refused it. I am not sure what was an opinion of the NHL.

coolboarder

Mar 4, 2010
Maryland
Would be nice to have an official international calendar but the issue here is that the injury to a club player is increased chance of sustaining one during the international matches and would cost the league club money by paying for his salary during his time off. He could be paid by insurance but some clubs does not pay for insurance like Blue Jackets as an example.

Best time to hold an international competitions is during off-season where if there's injury during a tournament, he is more likely to come back at 100% at a training camp or close to the start of the season. Maybe the league should ask Olympics hockey tournament to be held at Summer Olympic Games rather than Winter Olympic Games. 1920 Games were held at a different date in April, rather than August and I suppose that the IIHF could do that, holding an Olympic hockey tournament months early or months after, whichever is better for hockey to hold a best of best tournament than a February dates. If there are compromises by all parties involved between NHL, IOC, IIHF, the NHL could change their regular season/ playoffs schedule to accommodate that standard international schedule. By then, the national teams would finally have their own best players to play best of best Olympic qualification tournaments.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad