International calendar negotiations: NHL, NHLPA - ASG could be eliminated

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

From last Wednesday
The NHL and NHLPA’s next face-to-face meeting about the international calendar is Thursday in Toronto. There is some question about whether or not everyone wants to go back to China, because it didn’t make money. (The promoter takes the risk, not the league or union.) I can’t believe this is even an issue. You’re going to go once and give up, four years from the Olympics? I’d like to see them go to France and Germany, too, since the world championships were just there.

(Haven't seen any updates. Guess things are finalized to announce.)

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa

From last Wednesday

(Haven't seen any updates. Guess things are finalized to announce.)

For a bunch of businessmen, they sure don't know business. In order to grow in new markets you typically have to take a loss a first. After the brand becomes more recognized you make a profit. They don't seem to have a problem doing this year and after year in Arizona though.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
For a bunch of businessmen, they sure don't know business. In order to grow in new markets you typically have to take a loss a first. After the brand becomes more recognized you make a profit. They don't seem to have a problem doing this year and after year in Arizona though.

Because there's much more market potential in places like the US south than in France and Korea? By the way February is prime time for NHL hockey exposure with baseball and football finished and before the NCAA basketball tourney so there is an opportunity cost.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
So the NHL went to China because of a promoter and not their own future planning? Canadian media was sure trying hard to paint a picture of hockey being huge there. I guess that explains the lack of follow-up fluff articles.

Is that how the NFL in London is done??

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
Tried to link a site but it seems the Android paste feature doesnt work months new site??

Anyhow, a few articles mentioning replacing the ASG with an international event. I thought the game though was used for corporate America??

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Tried to link a site but it seems the Android paste feature doesnt work months new site??

Anyhow, a few articles mentioning replacing the ASG with an international event. I thought the game though was used for corporate America??

It's quite possible that they replace it with an international event staged in North America. If so, can't it be used in exactly the same way (with corporate partners) as the All-Star Game is?

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
It's quite possible that they replace it with an international event staged in North America. If so, can't it be used in exactly the same way (with corporate partners) as the All-Star Game is?

I'll admit I read that it would be based in another country. In that case, yeah it could still serve the same purpose.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I read in Russian sports news this morning that there's a proposal (from the Russian side no doubt) to play a 3 game series KHL champs v NHL champs. SKA v Pitt.

I'm not a fan of interleague play, so I won't be watching regardless...

but a better idea would be to scrap the all-star game altogether. give the players 5 days off instead.

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
Because there's much more market potential in places like the US south than in France and Korea? By the way February is prime time for NHL hockey exposure with baseball and football finished and before the NCAA basketball tourney so there is an opportunity cost.

I was talking about their China strategy not the Olympics. They are thinking of not putting on more games in China just because they had a loss the first time.

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
Why is the NHL so mum on the next World Cup of Hockey? If they are not going to Olympics, at least give us that.

Primetime for hockey and NBC, their major broadcasting partner in the US, is not even broadcasting their games during that period.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I was talking about their China strategy not the Olympics. They are thinking of not putting on more games in China just because they had a loss the first time.

NHL and teams had expenses covered (and probably income equivalent of "home" game). Promoter took loss.

I seem to recall a number of suggestions for like clinics the players could help run while in China, and more (structured?) free time.

Why is the NHL so mum on the next World Cup of Hockey? If they are not going to Olympics, at least give us that.

Because 2020 World Cup would fall at CBA end, IOW a lockout. (Similar to what happened in 2004 where there was event and then nothing for like a year.)

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I read in Russian sports news this morning that there's a proposal (from the Russian side no doubt) to play a 3 game series KHL champs v NHL champs. SKA v Pitt.

but a better idea would be to scrap the all-star game altogether. give the players 5 days off instead.

The last time they played KHL teams (circa ~2010), it was cheap shots galore.

I really doubt the NHL will have any interest in going back down that road.

Last edited:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010

Where did you read it?

JETZZZ

Oct 27, 2010
Winnipeg Manitoba
Its a no-brainer why the NHLPA would be against the All Star game. For starters, the players have been going to these things for great number of years now, and there is ZERO evidence these events increase viewership worldwide or that it grows the NHLPA brand AT ALL. 0. None.

Not to mention that the All Star game shuts the whole league down RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF WHAT SHOULD BE THE MOST CRUCIAL PART OF THE SEASON. As it has been mentioned before, this is the time of year when the NHL does not have to compete with Baskateball or Football or the Olym...um... or NCAA. And most important of all, how would YOUUUUUU feel if a star player from your team competing for a playoff spot gets injured at one of these 3 on 3 games and misses the rest of the season. huh? what then? yeah...didn't think so.

Reactions: Killion

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Its a no-brainer why the NHLPA would be against the All Star game. For starters, the players have been going to these things for great number of years now, and there is ZERO evidence these events increase viewership worldwide or that it grows the NHLPA brand AT ALL. 0. None.

Not to mention that the All Star game shuts the whole league down RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF WHAT SHOULD BE THE MOST CRUCIAL PART OF THE SEASON. As it has been mentioned before, this is the time of year when the NHL does not have to compete with Baskateball or Football or the Olym...um... or NCAA. And most important of all, how would YOUUUUUU feel if a star player from your team competing for a playoff spot gets injured at one of these 3 on 3 games and misses the rest of the season. huh? what then? yeah...didn't think so.

I was under the impression that most players who aren't selected like having the ASG because it gives them a few extra days to rest/heal right in the middle of the most crucial part of the season.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

I struggle to see any champion who is looking to defend their title willing to play a 3 game series that means nothing against a KHL squad. I'd be more worried about injuries then anything - especially with a February date.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Except for the fact that sponsors and advertisers love it. Which brings in money for the league, of which 50% goes to the players. So while it may not "grow the league or the NHLPA brand" or whatever else you spouted off about... it does grow their pocket books - something that the vast majority of NHLPA members do care about - significantly.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I struggle to see any champion who is looking to defend their title willing to play a 3 game series that means nothing against a KHL squad. I'd be more worried about injuries then anything - especially with a February date.

This fantasy comes up every year in Russian sports journalism and KHL circles speculating on a possible matchup. I have no interest in ever seeing interleague play and I doubt the NHL has any interest in it, but if were to generate enough $$$, the NHL would perhaps take a look at it. What that $$$ figure would be is the more interesting question.

JETZZZ

Oct 27, 2010
Winnipeg Manitoba
Except for the fact that sponsors and advertisers love it. Which brings in money for the league, of which 50% goes to the players. So while it may not "grow the league or the NHLPA brand" or whatever else you spouted off about... it does grow their pocket books - something that the vast majority of NHLPA members do care about - significantly.

If thats the case, i say cut out the middle man. NHLPA should make sure to kill the NHL all-star game, and then come up with a replacement event organized completely by the NHLPA. That way, they can nab themselves 100% of the profits. Have an NHLPA all star weekend, where fans can still vote in a John Scott if they want. Hell, add even more money making gimmicks to the weekend. More adds on the ice, adds on the all-star jerseys, maximize corporate sponsorship.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan

All teams already get a 5 day break during the season.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
The Alliance of European Hockey Clubs will hold its second autumn theme meeting in Stockholm on 11 November 2017 in conjunction with the two NHL regular season games between the Ottawa Senators and the Colorado Avalanche.

The E.H.C. Alliance is thrilled that both the National Hockey League’s Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly and Alexey Krasnov, Vice-President of the Kontinental Hockey League, will attend and make presentations about their views and strategies for Europe.

Bill Daly, Deputy Commissioner, NHL
NHL’s international strategy

Alexey Krasnov, Vice President, KHL
KHL’s new business plan & roadmap for the league’s 2nd decade

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
The last time they played KHL teams (circa ~2010), it was cheap shots galore.

I really doubt the NHL will have any interest in going back down that road.
This is exactly what I remember from it. Canes vs SKA. A few low bridge hits to Eric Staal (that of course weren't called) was just the tip of the iceberg in that game and the Canes pulled most of their star players early to avoid injury.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I've always liked the All Star Game but it's gotten to gimmicky. I liked when they did Team North America vs. Team World, myself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad