Post-Game Talk: Interesting

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Normally we can blame this on injuries, but what's the excuse now?

Although, I'm legitimately starting to think Weiss would help. His goals and plays were the type around the net that you score when the pretty stuff isn't working.

I think Babcock's comments of late are spot on. When we were scoring goals we started feeling like a skilled team, and goals were easy to come by, and stopped doing some of the dirty work that was working for us. I have seen it lately in these games where we aren't scoring like we were.

Also yes, I think losing Weiss hurt. I also think for whatever reason, our line combos have gone stale. The Tatar-Datsyuk magic has dried up a bit, the Swedish line has disassembled completely, and there's really not much chemistry to be found right now.

Also, Abby is looking like he has come down from cloud 9 a bit.

Still plenty of good players to work with though, I am sure they will turn it around.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Shootouts are like having a free throw contest determine a basketball game. Time to lose the skill competition.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

tumblr_l497zboI1X1qabf0co1_400.png

tlpoV2b.gif

Ralph's face plant. Alternate title: Red Wings in a shootout.

redwingsphan

Apr 25, 2014
It was another boring game and neither team played well (though Detroit was at least better), lots of broken plays and bad passes abound. Avs blocked a lot of shots and their goalie was great. Dats netted our token goal (on a PP, of course) and late in the third the refs gifted the Avs a PP that they immediately tied on. Deflection, I think, nothing Mrazek could've done.

The only good thing with this game was the 5 minute break before the shootout which were actually pretty good and the fact we actually scored twice in the shootout. Mrazek conceded two ones that were really good, Datsyuk is a one trick pony and hit iron but at least Nyquist scored (with his one trick :naughty:) and Tatar equalized it. Mrazek did well to save the next 10 or whatever shots but of course our shooters weren't going to cash in on that.

That was not a shot that mrazek had no shot at saving. It was along the ice the whole way. It was a softish goal, IMO. He made quite a few good stops though, and I wouldn't put the lose one him.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Would'nt be surprised, Howard or Mrazek scoring a goal before we win another shootout. Would'nt put it past it.

Mrazek might score a goal, Howard can barely knock the puck down behind the net much less fire it the length of the ice...

Just got done watching the replay, sick and tired of perimeter hockey. You get what you deserve when you play that way, if the pretty goals aren't going in or the other team's tender isn't helping you there is no offense to speak of at the NHL level. They are too good to be beaten by lazy passive hockey. This team needs to want the tougher areas of the ice a heck of a lot more than they have been doing lately. They are making this far too easy on the other team especially at the JLA.

The Wings just ****** away their solid start with an awful December. Their positioning isn't awful yet, but they need to snap out of it ASAP. Really disappointed. Also already sick and tired of the holiday season and guests getting in the way of live hockey.:laugh:

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
That was not a shot that mrazek had no shot at saving. It was along the ice the whole way. It was a softish goal, IMO. He made quite a few good stops though, and I wouldn't put the lose one him.

That shot deflected off Ericcsson's stick into a Colorado's calf and then into the net and he should have had it? I wouldn't even blame J-How for that goal. I would love to see you try to save a double deflection. They even showed it twice on replay on FSD that it caroomed off 2 players and into the net.

It was a ******** no call that was called however colorado dude got brushed up against and fell like he got shot though.

redwingsphan

Apr 25, 2014
That shot deflected off Ericcsson's stick into a Colorado's calf and then into the net and he should have had it? I wouldn't even blame J-How for that goal. I would love to see you try to save a double deflection. They even showed it twice on replay on FSD that it caroomed off 2 players and into the net.

It was a ******** no call that was called however colorado dude got brushed up against and fell like he got shot though.

The reason I called it weakish, was because it beat him along the ice. His pad was down well ahead of the puck. If a deflection beats a tender over the shoulder, I consider it tougher than one that he was in position to stop. It wasn't necessarily a bad goal, but it was one that could have been stopped.

Edit: I agree on the Jurco penalty. It was weak as could be. He was driving the spot, like every time there is a face off. Ill watch the goal again.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Mrazek might score a goal, Howard can barely knock the puck down behind the net much less fire it the length of the ice...

Just got done watching the replay, sick and tired of perimeter hockey. You get what you deserve when you play that way, if the pretty goals aren't going in or the other team's tender isn't helping you there is no offense to speak of at the NHL level. They are too good to be beaten by lazy passive hockey. This team needs to want the tougher areas of the ice a heck of a lot more than they have been doing lately. They are making this far too easy on the other team especially at the JLA.

The Wings just ****** away their solid start with an awful December. Their positioning isn't awful yet, but they need to snap out of it ASAP. Really disappointed. Also already sick and tired of the holiday season and guests getting in the way of live hockey.:laugh:

I could'nt agree more, I have a disdain for perimeter hockey myself. It seemed to me that when we were scoring goals in bunches it was because we were attacking the net and now were just lobbing pucks at the net. And we're pretty much not getting 2nd chances. Would still love to have that elite puck moving RHD that can get the puck out of our own zone quicker we're just making far to many mistakes in our own zone and it's costing us. Was really hoping to be better at home with all the road games coming up in January and February we play like 6 out of 23 games at home and the rest on the road. Sad part is right now that we're making bad teams look like great teams we need a better showing against Buffalo on Tuesday.

Aug 6, 2012
Just when I thought they had taken the next step in becoming contenders, the Wings fall straight back to mediocrity. Really tough to watch, this team has a lot of talent but something just isn't working right now.

I was thinking, the Wings must have the least amount of odd man rushes and breakaways in the league this year... I can't really remember the last time they had one. Part of it is definitely the defenseman being ****** but I think Babs needs to open it up a bit more, this team isn't built to win 2-1 games.

Also Ericsson was so by far the worst Wings player on the ice tonight.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Do you guys think Kindl goes to bed thinking "Man, I had a great game, I rocked the **** out of hockey tonight"

I'm pretty sure Kindl's not thinking about hockey when he goes to bed

tumblr_n135cdd4YC1sznyklo1_1280.jpg

but I think Babs needs to open it up a bit more, this team isn't built to win 2-1 games

To be fair, we're built to get the 1 part, its scoring the 2 that we're having the problem with.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
One of the weirdest and most annoying losing streaks in many years.

Don't even know what to complain about. Just...score some goals.. like damn. How hard can it be?

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
We have scoring issues. Giving up that late one was brutal, but we can't expect our defense and goalies to pitch a shutout every game.

Mrazek gave up 2 of the first 3 but luckily Tatar extended it. Then we couldn't do ****. Doesn't matter who is in net if we can't score goals in regulation, OT or the SO.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
the DRW are easily the worst team at creating offence from their backend in the league outside some of the lottery teams

their is no push up the ice, no flow

we arent able to generate or sustain much momentum coming through the neutral zone and into the offensive zone

our "f3" forward has to come back so far basically to get the puck because no dman and that includes kronwall can move the puck up the ice in a hurry in transition

we basically play a 2-1-2 european football version of hockey

RedWingsForPresident

Nov 20, 2012
Indiana
I wish I could blame the Hockey Gods, but we can't be too mad at them for the last 25 years

All I can say is at least it was a competitive shootout, they had like 7 chances to win the friggin thing. Was getting embarrassing losing 2-0 in a SO every time

At least they're getting points :help:

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
The Wings rarely get easy goals. IE odd man rush & breakaway goals, and while we suck at shootouts most of our guys are pretty solid in those two areas. Due to our lack of ability to get the puck up the ice from our back end though, we rarely get those type of chances. That means all of our goals basically have to come from in zone cycles, which usually have to start off a faceoff because again our breakouts stink. The Wings need a dman or two that can make a breakout pass. I don't care what handedness they are. If they are capable of putting up 40pts, and QBing a PP. We just need a guy or two that can make a decent breakout pass.

Kronner is average, everyone else is below. Ericsson used to be ok at this but now he can't handle the puck to save his life. Smith can skate pucks out but again isn't a great passer. Dekeyser has moments where he makes great passes and I think will improve in this aspect of his game, but right now he isn't there. Quincey, Kindl, Lash are just meh.

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
Edit: I agree on the Jurco penalty. It was weak as could be. He was driving the spot, like every time there is a face off. Ill watch the goal again.

Yeah, it was a ridiculous call. It was as if the ref was looking to give the Avs a chance to tie up the game with a call like that. Jurco had no reason to interfere there, they just bumped each other and the Av wisely fell down.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
The Wings need to recalibrate their collective GPS. They're skating, they're getting open, they're getting chances, but they're just an inch there, a half a foot there, two degrees there off. Passes in the feet to wide open players.

They're playing well. Should be 4-2 or better in the last 6 games just by watching the flow of the games. But they're ever so slightly off. Nothing Earth shattering. They're not horrible. Just out of sync by a bit.

Defense is there. Effort is there. Chances. One big game to loosen them up. Just need a couple bounces to get the ball rolling.

Edit - Oh... and if they're going to randomly sit Andersson. Sit him for Pulkkinen. Cleary has his cash, he can GTFO now...

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Should we start playing 4f 1d on even strength as well as power plays?

Second note: Does anyone else see a ridiculous reffing trend lately? I mean I wouldn't blame our streak on them- we obviously need to get our scoring touch back somehow (maybe Gustavsson coming back from injury will help that). But still, I feel like in the last 5 or 6 games the refs are always blind in the third period to obvious penalties committed against us (blatant trips, high sticks... the cross check to Nyquist's back comes to mind), and yet at the same time we always have to kill a penalty in the last 10 min because of some borderline ticky tack call where Jurco or Franzen or someone maybe taps someone on the waist briefly.

I'm seeing this stupidass double standard where the Wings get Stanley Cup finals let-everything-go refs, but the other team gets the boring old regular season refs who just make random calls once in a while to reach their quota.

Is it just me?

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Also... overtime lines should be

Z-Dats-Abby
Kronwall

and

Sheahan-Franzen-Nyquist-Tatar

everyone else benched. Maybe Jurco filling in for someone who's really gassed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad