Interesting Info: Part XVI (All Jackets-related "tidbits" in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Richards talked about it, too. Said it was an indicator of guys' readiness to play or something. 57/43 is a significant difference. I don't understand poo-pooing faceoffs, or rather the stat. Coaches talk about it as meaningful, and won faceoffs can directly be seen to lead to goals even if it's a minute or two later.

Coaches talk about all sorts of ridiculous stuff as meaningful, whether it's meaningful or not. Coaches fall in love with certain players, normally hideously unproductive ones, insist on dragging that player to every stop they make, and blast everyone who dares question that as some type of know-nothing Luddite who's obviously never seen the inside of a locker room and obviously doesn't know about the heart and grit and clutch that this garbage player brings to the table at the expense of actual production.

And if a goal is scored a minute or two after the last stoppage, it basically has ****-all to do with the faceoff win.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Coaches talk about all sorts of ridiculous stuff as meaningful, whether it's meaningful or not. Coaches fall in love with certain players, normally hideously unproductive ones, insist on dragging that player to every stop they make, and blast everyone who dares question that as some type of know-nothing Luddite who's obviously never seen the inside of a locker room and obviously doesn't know about the heart and grit and clutch that this garbage player brings to the table at the expense of actual production.

And if a goal is scored a minute or two after the last stoppage, it basically has ****-all to do with the faceoff win.

Correct. A better indicator is if Prout was on the ice.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn

Your player analogy is imperfect because in your telling, coach X has irrational love for player X while few or no other coaches share that sentiment. But plenty of coaches (a majority? All?) seem to feel face offs are important.

I disagree with your last point, because a won face off that leads to the winning team having possession of the puck entirely until a goal is scored is a big part of that goal being scored.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Your player analogy is imperfect because in your telling, coach X has irrational love for player X while few or no other coaches share that sentiment. But plenty of coaches (a majority? All?) seem to feel face offs are important.

(WARNING: baseball scenario incoming. Skip to the next bolded line if you want to avoid it.)

When I played baseball back when I was a kid, there was a huge emphasis on catching a fly ball the right way: two-handed. And for the better part of a century, that's how it was taught all the way to the highest levels, well past the point that it was necessary. Two-handed fielding of a fly ball was important back when gloves had minimal support and no webbing to speak of, because there was the chance that even a well-played ball would pop loose and you'd have to be able to barehand it.

This basically stopped being a problem before WWII, but for another 30 or 40 years, it was still this outward sign of playing fundamental baseball the right way. Guys who fielded a ball this way were praised for being a guy who embraced the little things, guys who didn't were slammed for everything from attitude problems to laziness to whatever else happened to be said.

It wasn't until really getting into the 1970s when managers like Weaver and Herzog basically said, "Yeah, this is stupid. It actually puts you in a worse position to make a play and doesn't do anything positive" that things started to change.

(END BASEBALL)

I question whether the huge emphasis on faceoff wins is actually detrimental. Yes, in an ideal world your center would cleanly win the draw, prevent his opponent from setting up in transition, and your team would gain possession either to get a shot away or to clear the defensive zone.

But roughly 50% of the time, your team isn't winning the draw. And a good chunk of the remainder isn't going to be a clean win by any means; it'll be disjointed. And plenty of other times, your team isn't going to have possession within one second of the puck dropping anyway.

I'd be curious to see how a team would do if they basically conceded a faceoff in certain scenarios and just set up entirely for a defensive situation. Figure that enough teams concede possession a couple dozen times a game as it is by dumping the puck into the corner from somewhere in the offensive area of the neutral zone, and it's not like that's believed to be detrimental to the team.

It won't happen, but I'd be interested to see it.

I disagree with your last point, because a won face off that leads to the winning team having possession of the puck entirely until a goal is scored is a big part of that goal being scored.

In this particular scenario, yes. But how often does it happen that a team gains possession off the draw and doesn't relinquish it until the puck goes into the net?

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
(WARNING: baseball scenario incoming. Skip to the next bolded line if you want to avoid it.)

When I played baseball back when I was a kid, there was a huge emphasis on catching a fly ball the right way: two-handed. And for the better part of a century, that's how it was taught all the way to the highest levels, well past the point that it was necessary. Two-handed fielding of a fly ball was important back when gloves had minimal support and no webbing to speak of, because there was the chance that even a well-played ball would pop loose and you'd have to be able to barehand it.

This basically stopped being a problem before WWII, but for another 30 or 40 years, it was still this outward sign of playing fundamental baseball the right way. Guys who fielded a ball this way were praised for being a guy who embraced the little things, guys who didn't were slammed for everything from attitude problems to laziness to whatever else happened to be said.

It wasn't until really getting into the 1970s when managers like Weaver and Herzog basically said, "Yeah, this is stupid. It actually puts you in a worse position to make a play and doesn't do anything positive" that things started to change.

(END BASEBALL)

I question whether the huge emphasis on faceoff wins is actually detrimental. Yes, in an ideal world your center would cleanly win the draw, prevent his opponent from setting up in transition, and your team would gain possession either to get a shot away or to clear the defensive zone.

But roughly 50% of the time, your team isn't winning the draw. And a good chunk of the remainder isn't going to be a clean win by any means; it'll be disjointed. And plenty of other times, your team isn't going to have possession within one second of the puck dropping anyway.

I'd be curious to see how a team would do if they basically conceded a faceoff in certain scenarios and just set up entirely for a defensive situation. Figure that enough teams concede possession a couple dozen times a game as it is by dumping the puck into the corner from somewhere in the offensive area of the neutral zone, and it's not like that's believed to be detrimental to the team.

It won't happen, but I'd be interested to see it.

In this particular scenario, yes. But how often does it happen that a team gains possession off the draw and doesn't relinquish it until the puck goes into the net?

Are they playing the Jackets in the early stages of the 2015-16 season and taking the faceoff in their offensive zone? :)

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
I'd be interested in if there was a correlation between PP/PK success and winning the faceoff immediately following a penalty. For this Jackets team, it seems like the PP is lethal when they can set up off a clean win on a faceoff in the offensive zone, and borderline inept when they have to set up on the fly. I don't know if such stats exist, but if they do, I'd like to see them.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Lots, and lots of interesting stuff in print today...

From Elliotte Friedman's 30 Thoughts:

7. Not positive Columbus is 100 per cent going to trade Ryan Johansen. I do think GM Jarmo Kekalainen is testing his value.

Don’t be surprised to see several teams make multiple trips to Ohio —or elsewhere — specifically to watch him. Plenty of homework will be done here.

Number one centres are hard to find and rarely become available. My sense is this isn’t about the last negotiation; you have to put that behind you. But it is about the next one. He’s going to get paid, big. The question is: who will do it?

... and the palate cleanser from Portzline's chat:

To be clear: I don't think it's out of the question that the Blue Jackets trade Johansen. I don't think he's being shopped, per se, and I don't think he's even on the block. But they're listening to offers ... as they should. But I have no proof -- and, again, I haven't read anywhere else -- that Tortorella and Johansen don't get along or can't get along. Key distinction.

...Tyutin may actually have suffered a concussion:

I believe there is, yes. The club has said it's a broken nose. If there's more, they should be out with it quickly, because it's making Tyutin look as if he's taking a week off (or more) instead of putting on a cage and playing. I've heard tell that Tyutin is concussed, but the club won't confirm that.

...Suggesting Wennberg is expendable:

And if the Blue Jackets are needing to trade a young player for defensive help, tell me that Karlsson hasn't made Wennberg expendable? I think he has.

...and finally, Porty confirming what we already know about the Penguins:

When Torts talked about the Penguins "whining" a night later, I heard from a few people across the league asking me to pass along a "thanks." (I did not, by the way.) That's a tag the Penguins have a hard time living down, and it might take years to shake. Every penalty is complained about on the way to the penalty box. It's unreal. As one smart hockey person said: If a Penguins player gets call for an obvious penalty, say tripping, the response is: "Well, why were his feet there?"

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

All of those things sound like they involve some level of "reporting" save for the Wennberg thing, which sounds not dissimilar to a poster here suggesting the same thing might be possible.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Lots, and lots of interesting stuff in print today...

From Elliotte Friedman's 30 Thoughts:

Verrrrry interesting indeed..

Concussion scenario would make sense why Tyuts is still out..

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
A 4-4 start to the season and the Jackets are in the midst of the playoff race (kind of ignoring the games in hand a couple of teams have). Makes you wonder. What kind of team is this really? Inconsistent and unpredictable are the only 2 things I'm sure they are.

Cash for Nash

May 13, 2012
A 4-4 start to the season and the Jackets are in the midst of the playoff race (kind of ignoring the games in hand a couple of teams have). Makes you wonder. What kind of team is this really? Inconsistent and unpredictable are the only 2 things I'm sure they are.

If we can stabilize things this month and get close to .500 it should be interesting 2nd half post new year. We'll have almost played our entire western conference schedule with the exception of the sorry nw Canadian teams. Also less back to backs. If we can figure out this whole losing at home thing:)

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Jackets now have the oldest major league scoreboard in Ohio

(still not all that old, only in its fourth season)

http://m.indians.mlb.com/news/article/159002832/progressive-field-installing-new-scoreboard

Blue Jackets - 2012-2013
Browns - 2014
Cavaliers - 2014-2015
Crew - 2015
Reds - 2015
Bengals - 2015
Indians - 2016

I'm going to be honest: I didn't know scoreboards were replaced that often.

I remember reading in an article about the team that said they had been asking for a new scoreboard. I had no idea that it was only four years old

Although, I am sure there is a perfectly good explanation. I can't imagine they are cheap

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
The Jackets are asking for a new scoreboard?

The Tribe scoreboard being replaced is twelve years old. The Jackets now have the oldest (major pro) scoreboard in the state, which is in its fourth season (only a third as old).

Unless it was near-obsolete technology when they bought it, the Jackets are going to have a hard time getting a replacement this soon.

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
The Jackets are asking for a new scoreboard?

The Tribe scoreboard being replaced is twelve years old. The Jackets now have the oldest (major pro) scoreboard in the state, which is in its fourth season (only a third as old).

Unless it was near-obsolete technology when they bought it, the Jackets are going to have a hard time getting a replacement this soon.

I think the Jackets were asking for a new scoreboard several years ago so they could get the All-Star Game, which they got. I've seen no new request for an even newer scoreboard. I think their big priority now is getting the upper level seats replaced since they've now completed the lower level seat replacement.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
What I'd like to see is the cupholders moved to ground level (attached to seat in front of you) or eliminated. Fat guys like me can't fit in the seats with those side cupholders (the armrest/divider also is not a particularly practical place to put your beverage).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad