Interesting hf article from a few years ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abyss

GO BRUINS
Jun 20, 2005
CT
Was just browsing the internet to see if I could open every webpage out there and came across this...http://www.hockeysfuture.com/beyondtommorow.php

Has some cool little scouting reports from players years ago that are now breaking into the NHL. Crosby, AO, Zherdev, Horton and guys like Bernier, Michalek and Nilsson.

Lot of guys I do recognize...and others I don't...Patrick Koslow? Jiri Drtina?

Interesting report on Mark Stuart, saying he would probably opt to be in the 2003 draft and he did...and while he was a top 20 pick like they predicted you can't get much closer as he was #21 ;).

I just think its pretty neat to see how people thought about these guys when there were still fairly young (Crosby = 14 in the article?) and the views they had...like

Compared by many to Teemu Selanne, Tukonen is one of the front runners for the top position in the 2004 NHL Draft.

and he ended up falling to 11? Will still be solid though..

He also adds, "(Ovechkin) likely will adapt better than any of the others. Talent-wise, he is in the top 5 in the world... so far. He can score at will. He also has size, and could grow to 6'4" before he is drafted. Just a great combination of a player. I guess he is a more rounded and filled out version of Joe Thornton. (Ovechkin) will get lots of attention and could go first or second overall."

Just crazy...

Anyway, just thought I'd post it if anyone wanted outdated but interesting insight into some prospects :)

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
heh yeah I remember that article, that's the one where I concluded that Alexandrov might end up becoming a franchise player.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Before Schremp hit the OHL:

Schremp has been described as a bit of a floater and a player reluctant to play defense consistently, but according to Gionet, "his talent level is (at the top) of all offensive categories... He will be a superstar in the OHL."

Abyss

GO BRUINS
Jun 20, 2005
CT
Kevin Forbes said:
Hockey's Future:
We're right all of the time, some of the time.

:clap: Most of them are pretty good though :) and considering a couple of those guys were still a couple years (or 3) from even being drafted thats not bad.

Are there any other (more recent) articles like that?

Transported Upstater

Bergeron47 said:
Before Schremp hit the OHL:

Schremp has been described as a bit of a floater and a player reluctant to play defense consistently, but according to Gionet, "his talent level is (at the top) of all offensive categories... He will be a superstar in the OHL."

I watched him consistently pre-OHL...his skating sucked, he couldn't spell defense, and his offensive skill was ridiculous.

When he played with the Syracuse Stars, he was simply at a MUCH, MUCH higher level talent-wise than anyone else he played with. Pure skill-wise, at the same age, Dustin Brown couldn't fit in Schremp's skates.

Of course, Brown is one of my favorite players in the world, and I'd rather have him than Schremp, but Rob's skill was overwhelming at that age.

Abyss

GO BRUINS
Jun 20, 2005
CT
Kevin Forbes said:
I think an executive decision was made to only use the time machine for recreational purposes and world domination and not predicting NHL success.

Bah! Can't you just...maybe give it a spin in the closet and just come back with a little info on a couple guys?

EDIT: I mean..you'd think with the success (for the most part) of that article you'd be writing them every year so you guys can brag about how amazing you are :sarcasm:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Coleman and Marc-Andre Fleury will be the top goalies eligible for the 2003 draft.

Fleury: 1st overall
Coleman: 224th overall

Jiri is expected to be an early-to-mid first rounder in the 2003 draft.

Drtina: Undrafted

Petrov has had a little less success at the High League, but many are already hyping this skilled dynamo as Russia's top 16-year old prospect.

Petrov: Undrafted

Who is Roman Petrov? And Ovechkin was 16...wow.

I love reading stuff like this for a second time. I read it the first time around, but it's easy to forget guys like Roman Petrov(I repeat...who?) and Jiri Drtina(though I definitely remember there being a rouse around here when he kept slipping).

Rand

Oct 17, 2002
askme
Some of the lowlights of HF's 2000 organizational rating:

Originally Posted by HF in 2000
1. New York Islanders-
The Islanders remain the top team in terms of prospects led by all everything Roberto Luongo! Add Pyatt, Mezei, Krog, Kudroc, Weinhandl, etc... and you have yourself a very very bright future.

2. Vancouver Canucks-
The Sedins alone are enough to put Vancouver in the top 5, but if still not convinced, try Bryan Allen and Harold Druken plus Mike Brown is still hanging around...

6. Calgary Flames-
The Flames have a great top line on the way in Fata, Tkazcuk, Saprykin

9. New York Rangers-
Lundmark and Brendl both have good skills and are future NHl’ers.

10. Washington Capitals-
Beech is an intriguing prospect, and Tezikov, Sivek, Lupaschuk, Tvrdon, provide solid depth.

14. Ottawa Senators-
Vauclair, Lajeunesse, Havlat, Hurme, Verenkin and Chouinard round out a strong prospect core.

16. Florida Panthers-
Novoseltsev is drawing comparisons to teammate Pavel Bure, and they're not unwarranted. He's a bluechip prospect, and along with Denis Shvidki, they may add some much needed depth to the finesse wingers in Florida. Shvidki passing to Bure. A goaltender's worst nightmare.

19. St. Louis Blues-
Barrett Jackman looks like a keeper but unfortunately him and Ladislav Nagy is as far as the depth goes.

25. Detroit Red Wings-
The next wave of defensemen (Wallin, Kuznetsov, Golubovsky) are on the way for the rapidly aging Red Wings blueline corps.

It's rather amusing looking at some of the top prospects from years ago.

Fata/Tkachuk/Saprykin as Calgary's ever so dominant 1st line... I'm guessing their probably not going to unseat Iginla

Novosltsov = Bure, and Shvidki to Novoseltsov as a goaltenders worst nightmare... if the goalie is an ECHL backup, and their having the game of their life perhaps. ;)

Washington's great depth... in future AHL'ers.

The Isles had the best group of prospects in the NHL, the envy of all.... doubtlessly Pyatt, Mezei, Krog, Kudroc, Weinhandl will be leading them to a cup soon. At least Luongo came as advertisted.

It serves as a testiment to just how much of a crapshoot the draft really is.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
I have 2 favorites things :
- "Fata, Saprykin and Tkazuck - great 1st line in the future"
- "Shvidki passes to Novoseltsev and he shoots. Goaltenders nightmare"

Rand

Oct 17, 2002
askme
HF 1999:
NYR-Lundmark and Brendl both rated 9.

Brendl-
HF Comments: A smooth skater with extra gears.... a puck magent who see's the ice very well... a natural goal scorer... strong on his skates and hard to knock of the puck.....has the POTENTIAL to be a game breaking winger....some have compared him to Mike Bossy.... played LW in the WHL but can also play RW... might join the Rangers next season after a long look in training camp... defense isn't good but not nearly as bad as some would have you think... a legit blue chip prospect.

It's amazing how much of Brendl's luster had already worn off even a yr after that.

Abyss

GO BRUINS
Jun 20, 2005
CT
Rand said:
Some of the lowlights of HF's 2000 organizational rating:

Originally Posted by HF in 2000
1. New York Islanders-
The Islanders remain the top team in terms of prospects led by all everything Roberto Luongo! Add Pyatt, Mezei, Krog, Kudroc, Weinhandl, etc... and you have yourself a very very bright future.

2. Vancouver Canucks-
The Sedins alone are enough to put Vancouver in the top 5, but if still not convinced, try Bryan Allen and Harold Druken plus Mike Brown is still hanging around...

6. Calgary Flames-

9. New York Rangers-
Lundmark and Brendl both have good skills and are future NHl’ers.

10. Washington Capitals-
Beech is an intriguing prospect, and Tezikov, Sivek, Lupaschuk, Tvrdon, provide solid depth.

14. Ottawa Senators-
Vauclair, Lajeunesse, Havlat, Hurme, Verenkin and Chouinard round out a strong prospect core.

16. Florida Panthers-
Novoseltsev is drawing comparisons to teammate Pavel Bure, and they're not unwarranted. He's a bluechip prospect, and along with Denis Shvidki, they may add some much needed depth to the finesse wingers in Florida. Shvidki passing to Bure. A goaltender's worst nightmare.

19. St. Louis Blues-
Barrett Jackman looks like a keeper but unfortunately him and Ladislav Nagy is as far as the depth goes.

25. Detroit Red Wings-
The next wave of defensemen (Wallin, Kuznetsov, Golubovsky) are on the way for the rapidly aging Red Wings blueline corps.

It's rather amusing looking at some of the top prospects from years ago.

Fata/Tkachuk/Saprykin as Calgary's ever so dominant 1st line... I'm guessing their probably not going to unseat Iginla

Novosltsov = Bure, and Shvidki to Novoseltsov as a goaltenders worst nightmare... if the goalie is an ECHL backup, and their having the game of their life perhaps. ;)

Washington's great depth... in future AHL'ers.

The Isles had the best group of prospects in the NHL, the envy of all.... doubtlessly Pyatt, Mezei, Krog, Kudroc, Weinhandl will be leading them to a cup soon. At least Luongo came as advertisted.

It serves as a testiment to just how much of a crapshoot the draft really is.
:clap: thats amazing :) Indeed looking back now is quite interesting...do you know what they said about the Bruins at that time?

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
I definitely read that article and I remember saving it somewhere, when I was an even bigger draft geek than I am now. Ahh, the time I spent contemplating Viktor Alexandrov. :)

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=1469

Alexei Tezikov:
Alex biggest skill, or asset in his case, is that he is by far the most
skillful player in Buffalo's entire system. He does things the other
defensive prospects can dream about doing. His shot and pure scoring
potential are something Buffalo needs desperately. As far as a major
weakness, I don't see any, except his lack of experience in North America
hockey. Though playing in the Quebec Junior league is closing that gap,
quickly.

NHL Future: Potential Superstar

That didnt work out.

BTW, I went through the HF Archives a while ago and read quite a few nice predictions which now seems like jokes:

Boyd Devereaux looks to be the type of player that Stevie Yzerman is--a true combination of grit, skills and tremendous character.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=1231

Boulerice ahead of Gagne in 1998.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=380

While the Avs are in desperate need of a player with a physical touch, they have more than just Parker in the wings. With both of the Banging Belak Brothers (Wade & Graham) and 1997 pick Kevin Grimes on the way, the Avs now seem to have another depth position covered.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=112

My Avs havent had a top notch enforcer for a long time.

3. Sergei Soin, F This was a great selection, one of Colorado's more impressive selections on the first day. Soin is likely one of the top skaters in the draft, and can play any forward position, maybe even defense. Soin could be a great 3rd line player; aka a Jon Klemm type forechecker, who can move up and down when needed in a defensive role.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=931

Soin is now NSH's property and wont make the NHL.

Im not trying to bash HF but Im just trying to show what a great read HF can be and how people saw prospects 4-5 years ago and that prospects who seem 100% sure fire may bust.

Last edited:

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Rand said:
6. Calgary Flames-

:cry: Oh what could have been. When he was traded it was looking like Tkaczuk could have salvaged a career, but going to St. Louis really solidified him being part of the biggest draft **** up in Flames history. I kinda wish he got another chance.

As for Fata, :banghead:

Abyss

GO BRUINS
Jun 20, 2005
CT
12# Peter Bondra said:
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=1469

Alexei Tezikov:
Alex biggest skill, or asset in his case, is that he is by far the most
skillful player in Buffalo's entire system. He does things the other
defensive prospects can dream about doing. His shot and pure scoring
potential are something Buffalo needs desperately. As far as a major
weakness, I don't see any, except his lack of experience in North America
hockey. Though playing in the Quebec Junior league is closing that gap,
quickly.

NHL Future: Potential Superstar

That didnt work out.

BTW, I went through the HF Archives a while ago and read quite a few nice predictions which now seems like jokes:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=1231

Boulerice ahead of Gagne in 1998.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=380

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=112

My Avs havent had a top notch enforcer for a long time.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=931

Soin is now NSH's property and wont make the NHL.

Im not trying to bash HF but Im just trying to show what a great read HF can be and how people saw prospects 4-5 years ago and that prospects who seem 100% sure fire may bust.

Cool stuff...I remember the hype around Devereaux, remember he was a beast in a couple NHL 2000 games lol...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad