Interesting hf article from a few years ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
And reading past articles like this -- be they here or say THN's old draft previews -- should give people pause when the topic of current prospects, draftees or soon-to-be draftees is broached.

oilers_guy_eddie

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS!?
Feb 27, 2002
This is Oil Country!
Visit site
Bergeron47 said:
Before Schremp hit the OHL:

Schremp has been described as a bit of a floater and a player reluctant to play defense consistently, but according to Gionet, "his talent level is (at the top) of all offensive categories... He will be a superstar in the OHL."
The part I liked:
Born: 07-01-1986
Height: 6'0
Weight: 195
Style: Power Forward
I guess he shrank sometime between 2002 and 2004...

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
Rand said:
HF 1999:
NYR-Lundmark and Brendl both rated 9.

Brendl-
HF Comments: A smooth skater with extra gears.... a puck magent who see's the ice very well... a natural goal scorer... strong on his skates and hard to knock of the puck.....has the POTENTIAL to be a game breaking winger....some have compared him to Mike Bossy.... played LW in the WHL but can also play RW... might join the Rangers next season after a long look in training camp... defense isn't good but not nearly as bad as some would have you think... a legit blue chip prospect.

It's amazing how much of Brendl's luster had already worn off even a yr after that.

I've been searching for old articles about Pavel Brendl's glorious years but haven't found any...

Do some of you have any stuff on the kid ?

I thought he looked real hot as a prospect, too bad he could put it all together ! But we still belive ! ;)

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
Tjardus Greidanus said:
Coleman and Marc-Andre Fleury will be the top goalies eligible for the 2003 draft.

Fleury: 1st overall
Coleman: 224th overall

Jiri is expected to be an early-to-mid first rounder in the 2003 draft.

Drtina: Undrafted

Petrov has had a little less success at the High League, but many are already hyping this skilled dynamo as Russia's top 16-year old prospect.

Petrov: Undrafted

Who is Roman Petrov? And Ovechkin was 16...wow.

I love reading stuff like this for a second time. I read it the first time around, but it's easy to forget guys like Roman Petrov(I repeat...who?) and Jiri Drtina(though I definitely remember there being a rouse around here when he kept slipping).

If im not wrong Roman Petrov now plays for HK Belgorod in russian's vysshaya liga

RussianProspects

Feb 14, 2003
www.russianprospects.com
Some comments regarding the, well comments made him. I guess I’ll distribute by posts:

#12 Peter Bondra – regarding Soin – Soin was a great prospect and one of the best skaters in the draft. What hurt him was his choices and his attitude towards NHL. It’s not that he “won’t make the NHL†is that he did not want to play in the AHL and face the uncertainty. The wrong move he made is giving up his ice time and captaincy with the Soviet Wings for a situation that ended up being quite bad for at least a season with CSKA. He has had a solid year with Severstal, but the damage has already been done. This prospect was on Russia’s national team at just the age of 21 and has a lot of potential. It’s his unwillingness to sign a deal and come over is what hurt him. His quickness and aggressive style is actually built for the NHL, especially this season’s NHL. So – I would still stand by the opinion that Soin was a great second round selection, just mishandled. I stiil hold out hope he will come over, but I doubt he will and he will likely be released by Nashville this summer as their property. It's quite sad too, as he was right up there with Suglobov, Pasha Vorobiev, Nepriayev, Zinovjev etc.

Viktor Alexandrov – I don’t know why all the hype was around him. I never saw this kid as a top notch prospect, but I guess the fact that he showed up at such a young age made everyone talk. I agree though – this kid is a solid prospect for St. Louis – but not a franchise player. He is very talented though and sees the ice very well.

Tezikov – he was a great prospect. What killed him when he arrived in DC is the mentality of isolation and finding some drinking buddies. He found some guys in the area who were buying him alcohol and drinking with him at the hotel. That lack of discipline and motivation and stupidity is what killed his NHL chances. He really did have the skill and the potential. This is probably why Buffalo traded him. They knew how he was off the ice, and all that the Caps saw is what he was on the ice – big mistake. You have to consider the complete package.

Roman Petrov – yeah, the thing about this kid is that he was on the national team at 16 and 17, and then kind of fell off. He did not develop as the other guys did and that’s where the problems came. He dazzled, but then just stopped growing mentally. Another guy like that is the once “highly touted†Arseny Bondarev – who was a projected 2nd or 3rd rounder in 2002 and then ended getting the dubious honor of being selected with the absolute last pick of the 2003 NHL Entry Draft. He basically stopped growing and developing and the other kids passed him. He is now a marginal Vischaya Liga (Russia 2) player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->