Post-Game Talk: Inter Squad 1 - Team Luongo def. Team Schneider - 2-1, also win in SO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
You re-evaluate how you think the lineup should look with each passing scrimmage/game.

Regardless of past performance, you don't start the season playing Lapierre with Higgins+Hansen if he continues to look like this in camp, IMO.

Who do you play there then? I think people are reading to much into a one night scrimmage.

Considering how well lapierre has played for us since hes been here, i would give him a chance in games no matter how bad he plays in 2 scrimmages.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
For all our whining and such i truly believe that the key to this team is the third line. If Malhotra can get back to what he was a couple years ago then kesler can concentrate on offense and gives us 2 dynamic lines.

I truly feel that we need an epic third line center to do damage and if healthy Malhotra can be huge for us.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
The hundreds of NHL and AHL games these guys have played in their careers, in particular the AHL games this year.

The fact they're playing teammates vs real opposition is your first clue.

I'm not suggesting the Sedins should be battling for the first line or anything. We have some position battles going on and these scrimmages should absolutely help decide those battles. I'm not sure what your issue is with that?

I don't know what the second part means?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Haven't seen his name mentioned but i thought Andersson was perhaps the 3rd best defender on Blue. He was very good, his positions, angles, and he knocked away a loose puck in the slot with a quick stick. Made several good outlet passes. I'm starting to think he will be a Canuck far sooner than I ever imagined (not just based on this scrim, but what i've seen in Chicago as well). Just needs some more strengthening.

Note:
-It was Luuuus not Booos, when he stepped on the ice the first time.
-It was Boooos when Raymond went for his SO chance.
-3rd period, it seemed like the players were getting into a bit more and it was much more enjoyable.

I noticed him make a couple of nice plays too. He has great size. I had to look him up on the program when I saw those plays to see who he was.

Bieksallent

May 3, 2010
I noticed him make a couple of nice plays too. He has great size. I had to look him up on the program when I saw those plays to see who he was.

Really calm and smooth with the puck even in the neutral zone in transition. I likes what I see from him.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Who do you play there then? I think people are reading to much into a one night scrimmage.

Considering how well lapierre has played for us since hes been here, i would give him a chance in games no matter how bad he plays in 2 scrimmages.
Having the opening lineup be a certain way is hardly a condemnation or "not giving someone a chance".

Nobody is setting anything in stone after one scrimmage, but it makes sense to have impressions that become more clear as we get closer and closer to opening night and to let these impressions affect your lineup decisions (to a certain degree).

I think that considering the situation, you could try a few other guys between Higgins-Hansen. Schroeder for one. Malhotra for another (it's entirely possible that he could have caught back up-- he looked better than Lappy tonight, for my money), Ebbett for another. There's no reason we should be too sure that Lapierre is the clear choice head and shoulders above the others. He and Malhotra (and again, to a lesser extent, Schroeder/Ebbett) should both be competing for that spot, IMO.

I think you're extrapolating too much out of people's impressions/immediate thoughts rather than the other way around, personally. Nobody is actually saying this scrimmage means everything. But they shouldn't be treated like they aren't a factor, either.

When someone posts a lineup after a game after this, they're saying "IF it continues on like this up until opening day (which it won't), this is what I would like to see at the moment."

Last edited:

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
For all our whining and such i truly believe that the key to this team is the third line. If Malhotra can get back to what he was a couple years ago then kesler can concentrate on offense and gives us 2 dynamic lines.

I truly feel that we need an epic third line center to do damage and if healthy Malhotra can be huge for us.

His eye injury was the start of our problems in the finals. No Manny meant Kesler has to do double duties, officially or not, and tried to do to much.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Having the opening lineup be a certain way is hardly a condemnation or "not giving someone a chance".

Nobody is setting anything in stone after one scrimmage, but it makes sense to have impressions that become more clear as we get closer and closer to opening night and to let these impressions affect your lineup decisions (to a certain degree).

I think that considering the situation, you could try a few other guys between Higgins-Hansen. Schroeder for one. Malhotra for another (it's entirely possible that he could have caught back up-- he looked better than Lappy tonight, for my money), Ebbett for another. There's no reason we should be too sure that Lapierre is the clear choice head and shoulders above the others. He and Malhotra (and again, to a lesser extent, Schroeder/Ebbett) should both be competing for that spot, IMO.

I think you're extrapolating too much out of people's impressions/immediate thoughts rather than the other way around, personally. Nobody is actually saying this scrimmage means everything. But they shouldn't be treated like they aren't a factor, either.

When someone posts a lineup after a game after this, they're saying "IF it continues on like this up until opening day (which it won't), this is what I would like to see at the moment."

No i really understand this and thats what I am trying to say, i am giving thoughts to, what I am saying is creating a lineup based on a scrimmage i felt was reading to much into it, you do not.

Especially with your comment you dont start lapierre if he looks like this in camp with higgins and hansen.

I am basically saying this camp is way to short to make that decision. . The lapierre comment I just really did not agree with. He deserves a chance in games no matter what imo, given his excellent work here for 2 seasons, and mannys questionable eye condition and poor prior season. I also do not think ebbett would be an option over lapierre for the 3rd line, av wants a big checking line i assume like last year and I also feel lap is a superior player to ebbett.

Of course you are free to analyze the team how you wish as well.

Last edited:

Outside99*

I'm not suggesting the Sedins should be battling for the first line or anything. We have some position battles going on and these scrimmages should absolutely help decide those battles. I'm not sure what your issue is with that?

I don't know what the second part means?

What you say makes sense except, Nobody wants a regular injured in a scrimmage. Whereas if it was against another team - even an AHL lineup - the other team wouldnt care, it would be a lot rougher and much closer to NHL hockey. This is not. This is entirely the result of the lock-out by the way, just like more injuries than normal will be.

That's what I meant, didn't mean to offend.

HFCanucks

Jan 7, 2013
My thoughts on tonights game.

Sedins- looked solid. They manage to capitalize on even the smallest mistakes made by the defending team.
Borrows/higgins/hansen- Still don't look like they are up to full game speed. Starting to look less rusty but seemed average tonight,
Kassian- Played well. Showed a lot more tonight than in any of the practices this week. Beauty shoot out goal on luongo.
Raymond-Also played well. Skating fast creating offensive chances.
Malhotra-Had a great game. Looking like the old Manny. Creating offence as well. Starting to develope chemistry with Weise.
Lapierre-Not spectacular tonight. Average on most shifts.
Volpatti-Played ok but wasn't great. Still the best option for 4th line LW.
Bieksa-Bad game. Couldn't get much going. He was frustrated with his own play.
Ballard- Played a solid game. Almost took 2 pucks to the face blocking shots. Don't see why he was out trying to cover for the out of position winger. Just means 2 people are out of position.
Tanev- Was solid tonight. took more chances because of the lower intensity. good to see him gaining confidense.
Hamhuis- Spent the entire night covering for Bieksa.
Garrison- Great game. The points he put up in Florida were not a fluke. I can see him racking up the points on the PP with Edler this year.
Edler- Solid on the attacking side of center ice. You can tell he still isnt totally comfortable on the right side in his own end.
Alberts- wasn't his best game. Didn't notice him much tonight so I guess thats ok.
Barker. Really solid game. made the safe plays. was comfortable with the puck and didnt make any errors. No big plays though.
Weise-Great game. showed good hustle. creating offence and showing chemistry with malhotra. Looked like he could play on most teams 3rd line.
Corrado. Did not stand out like he did during practice. didn't look nhl ready.
schroeder- Played really well tonight. Creating chances and playing good defence. Looked like he could fill in for 2C.
Ebbett- scored his teams lone goal but really didn't have a good game.
Sweatt- played well. showed speed and vision.
Connauton- looked out of place on the wing. did create some offence though.
Rodin- had a bad game. got pushed around and couldnt keep up.
Vandemeer- Had a good game. was physical.
Luongo- Played well. good to hear him getting LUUUU's
Schneider- Played ok. beat over the glove by edler. didn't look as solid as Lu in the shoot out.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Does anyone know will the teams be altered i assume tomorrow? I felt bad for team grey.

gsharpe

Jan 12, 2010
Thought 61 (Connauton?) played very well on the "3rd" line for blue. Would like him over Volpatti and he can fill in if we lose a defender in a game.

He converted to defense right? He was a forward before he played with the Giants?

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010

Sedins- looked solid. They manage to capitalize on even the smallest mistakes made by the defending team.
Borrows/higgins/hansen- Still don't look like they are up to full game speed. Starting to look less rusty but seemed average tonight,
Kassian- Played well. Showed a lot more tonight than in any of the practices this week. Beauty shoot out goal on luongo.
Raymond-Also played well. Skating fast creating offensive chances.
Malhotra-Had a great game. Looking like the old Manny. Creating offence as well. Starting to develope chemistry with Weise.
Lapierre-Not spectacular tonight. Average on most shifts.
Volpatti-Played ok but wasn't great. Still the best option for 4th line LW.
Bieksa-Bad game. Couldn't get much going. He was frustrated with his own play.
Ballard- Played a solid game. Almost took 2 pucks to the face blocking shots. Don't see why he was out trying to cover for the out of position winger. Just means 2 people are out of position.
Tanev- Was solid tonight. took more chances because of the lower intensity. good to see him gaining confidense.
Hamhuis- Spent the entire night covering for Bieksa.
Garrison- Great game. The points he put up in Florida were not a fluke. I can see him racking up the points on the PP with Edler this year.
Edler- Solid on the attacking side of center ice. You can tell he still isnt totally comfortable on the right side in his own end.
Alberts- wasn't his best game. Didn't notice him much tonight so I guess thats ok.
Barker. Really solid game. made the safe plays. was comfortable with the puck and didnt make any errors. No big plays though.
Weise-Great game. showed good hustle. creating offence and showing chemistry with malhotra. Looked like he could play on most teams 3rd line.
Corrado. Did not stand out like he did during practice. didn't look nhl ready.
schroeder- Played really well tonight. Creating chances and playing good defence. Looked like he could fill in for 2C.
Ebbett- scored his teams lone goal but really didn't have a good game.
Sweatt- played well. showed speed and vision.
Connauton- looked out of place on the wing. did create some offence though.
Rodin- had a bad game. got pushed around and couldnt keep up.
Vandemeer- Had a good game. was physical.
Luongo- Played well. good to hear him getting LUUUU's
Schneider- Played ok. beat over the glove by edler. didn't look as solid as Lu in the shoot out.

Thanks for the summary HFCanucks. Huge props.

Golden Boy

The Spy in Beantown
Mar 24, 2012
Currently Undercover

I disagree with your analysis of Hansen, Higgins, Kassian, and Barker. Hansen was producing some of offense out there tonight, and he along with Higgins were fairly good on the forecheck. Kassian looked like his back hurt him all night and it impacted his play fairly severely. He did NOT by any means play well. I have no idea what game you were watching but aside from his lone shootout goal, he didn't do very much. Barker was just... well Barker. He looked lost in his own end at times and i'm pretty sure that he's the one who fell on his ass like three times while the puck drifted by.

edit: rest of it was pretty spot on.

HFCanucks

Jan 7, 2013
Connauton did have some good rushes and was making things happen when he had the puck. But to me, his play away from the puck wasn't so good. Had a bit of trouble with positioning in his own end and late to join some plays. As a dman filling in, did better than I thought he would.

Golden Boy

The Spy in Beantown
Mar 24, 2012
Currently Undercover
Connauton did have some good rushes and was making things happen when he had the puck. But to me, his play away from the puck wasn't so good. Had a bit of trouble with positioning in his own end and late to join some plays. As a dman filling in, did better than I thought he would.

Agreed. I think most of us knew that he would look out of place but he had a couple of nice entries into the offensive zone. He did better than I expected, at least.

HFCanucks

Jan 7, 2013
I think the tough criticism of Hansen and Higgins is probably because I tend to expect a lot from them. They are guys who bring it every night in nhl games. Maybe viewing them as if they should be 2nd liners. So thats probably why I say average.
I think the thing I liked most about Kassian was he played much better than he was earlier this week. Guess I was just happy to see improvement.
Must have over-looked barkers bad play...

Golden Boy

The Spy in Beantown
Mar 24, 2012
Currently Undercover
I think the tough criticism of Hansen and Higgins is probably because I tend to expect a lot from them. They are guys who bring it every night in nhl games. Maybe viewing them as if they should be 2nd liners. So thats probably why I say average.
I think the thing I liked most about Kassian was he played much better than he was earlier this week. Guess I was just happy to see improvement.
Must have over-looked barkers bad play...

I think that Hansen is poised this season to take flight in terms of points. The opportunity is there with Booth out for an extended period of time and I think that AV slots him into the 2 RW spot due to Kassian being a big question mark (along with his back). The Finnish league kept him pretty sharp for the most part and playing with increased ice-time (along with time on the 1st PP unit) will go a long way.

http://canucksarmy.com/2013/1/16/a-happy-ending-to-booths-groin-strain

That's a good article I read earlier. It's about Hansen's opportunity to break out with Booth out. Stats and what not.

HFCanucks

Jan 7, 2013
I think that Hansen is poised this season to take flight in terms of points. The opportunity is there with Booth out for an extended period of time and I think that AV slots him into the 2 RW spot due to Kassian being a big question mark (along with his back). The Finnish league kept him pretty sharp for the most part and playing with increased ice-time (along with time on the 1st PP unit) will go a long way.

http://canucksarmy.com/2013/1/16/a-happy-ending-to-booths-groin-strain

That's a good article I read earlier. It's about Hansen's opportunity to break out with Booth out. Stats and what not.

I agree. Hansen is one of my favorite players and I really hope he does have a break out season.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Yep. Hard to stop the Sedins in the shootout. Especially Hank.

Hard to stop higgins laser top shelf and edler who has been one of the most clutch players for us last year in shootouts, daniel shot was a bit of a fluke off the post and hits his back skate and in. Hank was the only bad shooter from blue. Daniels shot had some power behind it. I would also take teams blue shootout lineup any day over team grey.

Lou also got burned by kassian and ebbett. Neither was more solid imo.

They both looked fine. Schneider and lou.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad