Injury Report: Injury Thread (5/2: Staal/Boyle skate with scratches, Clowe doing off-ice work)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I really don't blame people who are young for not knowing him either. He only played 3 games in those 93-94 playoffs. People are making it seem like he was Kovalev or something.

I'd put him right up there with Eddie O. :)

He's also noteworthy for being part of the deal that brought Steve Larmer to the Rangers.

Mr Atoz*

My favorite memory of Nickpreos is on one of the '94 celebration videos where right after game 7 ends and they are lining up for the team photo he goes over to Mike Keenan and says, "Thank you for letting me play tonight."

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Haha. Thanks for letting me play. Yeah, if it were anyone other than Kocur that was out, he wouldn't have played. It's not like Keenan liked him more than any of the other aces.

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
On TSN 690 in Montreal, Pierre McGuire just said that he spoke to Marc's agent, Bobby Orr this morning, and he told him that although his eye is completely shut, he can still see some light, which is very good news. They will know more once the swelling goes down, but said hat he has blood in the back of his eye, which is normal supposedly.
I'm no doctor, but this sounds like he will be away for weeks...just hope he fully recovers.

truebluegoalie

Nov 28, 2008
Virginia
It's beyond obvious that Hamrlik isn't for Staal. But since there is a significant likelihood that we have to face the reality of not having Staal for a majority if not all of the rest of the season, then who do we replace him with? Girardi and McD will have to step up for sure. But we're fooling ourselves if we think that will be enough. So does McIlrath get a shot? I'm thinking probably not. So what's the solution then? No way we can just say oh well, guess we'll keep playing Bickel, and consider that a successful strategy.

then you don't know torts.

nyr5186

May 12, 2002
New Orleans
Visit site
If Marc Staal is back by mid-April (that would be 5-6 weeks), I would consider us very fortunate, considering something like this could easily blind a player for life.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
GOOD NEWS.

@stevezipay: Staal was examined by Dr. Mark Fromer, ophthalmologist & Dr. Mendel Markowitz, maxillofacial surgeon. Injury has improved significantly.

@NYRangers: BREAKING NEWS: #NYR report that Marc Staal was examined by both an opthalmologist & maxillofacial surgeon today, both are optimistic that Marc Staal will make "a full recovery"...Staal will be sidelined indefinitely, though the injury has "improved significantly"

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Reading Eric's statement really makes me feel for Marc even more. Obviously, the injury is horrible and terrifying, but honestly, sitting there with your eye swollen shut waiting to hear about the future of your career and life sounds terrifying and awful in it's own right. I can't help but wonder if there's something we can do as fans to help him out during this tense time.

The idea of a card was going around on the PGT last night and people rightfully pointed out that we don't know how serious the injury is and how long he'll be out yet. How about a virtual get well card? Is there a blogging site somewhere that allows the site to be open to anybody to update? Maybe something like tumblr, but I'm not sure if they have that functionality. I'll check about that when I get home. But maybe we could make a blog like that "getwellmarc.tumblr.com" or something and we can all write a little get well message for him and try to spread it around the web. Ideally, we could tweet the address to DZ, Henrik, the beat-writers, and whoever else is big on twitter with NYR and get word back to Marc himself. Obviously, it's not going to heal him or anything, but I'm sure it'd be nice to get a massive outpour of support like that.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: Just saw the post above me. Good to know that he has some more info. The idea might still be relevant and useful though if we can find the right site to use and enough people think it'd be worthwhile.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Did anyone post this yet?

Andrew Gross ‏@AGrossRecord

#NYR statement on Staal: Injury "has improved significantly," docs optimistic he'll make full recovery but he's out indefinitely.

16 To Stanley*

He's also noteworthy for being part of the deal that brought Steve Larmer to the Rangers.

I know he was part of that trade, on the receiving side, but i don't think he's really known for that. I mean the people that DO know him, either were alive in 94 (and consciously aware, unlike me) or they watched/studied Rangers history to the death growing up (like me).

Poozer

Jun 25, 2008
New York
Good to hear...

#NYR statement on Staal: Injury "has improved significantly," docs optimistic he'll make full recovery but he's out indefinitely.

Alaix

I believe.
Mar 30, 2010
Very glad to hear Staal should recover fully! Amazing news for him, and for all of you Rangers fans!

16 To Stanley*

Good news. Out indefinitely just means depending on recover right? Like they really don't have an idea? Or does it mean he's out a long time.

Alaix

I believe.
Mar 30, 2010
Good news. Out indefinitely just means depending on recover right? Like they really don't have an idea? Or does it mean he's out a long time.

It means they don't know. I would expect at the very least a few weeks. Hopefully he'll be able to come back soon with a full grid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad