Injury Report: Injury Thread 2018-19 [Klefbom (Finger Surgery, Out 2 Months)]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey71

Apr 3, 2005
I think it has to be 1 of 2 things. Either there was a bit more to this, or they want him back at 100% and not 90%. I definitely do find it odd that he potentially could be skating with the team for as long as he could be and not playing. I imagine the stability muscles would have had to be well on their way to being better before he skated with the team.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
ACL is a 6-9 month recovery. It was May 18th I believe when he had his surgery so mid-December puts him at ~7 months recovery time. I don't think that's all that surprising really.

I suppose in this day and age most expected Sekera back even quicker because he's an elite athlete with the best available medical treatment (presumably)... but my guess is that he'll likely be back within a month or so... which would basically be right in the middle of that expected 6-9 month range.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
The thing with ACL injuries, especially ones that require major surgery to fix, is that it can take a lot longer than the physical recovery time to fully heal. I've heard it mentioned by some physiotherapists that if you need 6 months to recover physically, you'll need up to another 6 months on top of it to recover psychologically.

In my personal life experience, over the years I've had ACL reconstructive surgery performed on both knees, and for me it definitely took quite a while to trust my knees wouldn't give out on me when doing such mundane tasks like walking down stairs or even standing up out of bed in the morning. Even though they were probably totally stable due to the successful surgeries, my brain would play tricks on me.

Hopefully Sekera won't have similar issues, because we need him on the ice and performing at the best of his abilities. And we need it yesterday.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The thing with ACL injuries, especially ones that require major surgery to fix, is that it can take a lot longer than the physical recovery time to fully heal. I've heard it mentioned by some physiotherapists that if you need 6 months to recover physically, you'll need up to another 6 months on top of it to recover psychologically.

In my personal life experience, over the years I've had ACL reconstructive surgery performed on both knees, and for me it definitely took quite a while to trust my knees wouldn't give out on me when doing such mundane tasks like walking down stairs or even standing up out of bed in the morning. Even though they were probably totally stable due to the successful surgeries, my brain would play tricks on me.

Hopefully Sekera won't have similar issues, because we need him on the ice and performing at the best of his abilities. And we need it yesterday.
Those small things are so annoying. I never had surgery, but I had a bad knee injury that took about a year and half to heal. Never had any major issues, but the worse for me was the toilet. Try stand up and you buckle. The bed was another annoying one, as you aren't mentally even ready and it would give out.

The other thing I'd add from what I've heard from a couple of people that play soccer/hockey is that you can run/skate no problem. The problem you get is when you try stop or pivot.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Larsson had a setback and could be out longer than expected. This isn't very pretty.
I listened to Todd yesterday was really tough to figure out if he actually had a setback or his just out a touch longer. I think it was more of the case they thought it would be 7 days and he'd be back. Now it might be a few more days.

Didn't sound major.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Other tidbit from yesterday was this team has had a couple different illnesses going through it.

They originally thought the second one was food poisoning as it is only a 24-36 hour bug. Apparently across the league this has been happening.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

I had my ACL reconstructed as well, and was on the ice at 6 months... but nobody was counting on me to win games. Sekera is out there too. From the sounds of Gregor's post it has more to do with "how it responds" which I interpret as mobility and swelling. You can be feeling great during rehab... you can have your knee brace to provide confidence, but until you get twisting and turning and digging explosively, you aren't going to fully loosen that scar tissue internally.

He's probably just working through the paces of getting some good flexibility and washing out the inflammation/swelling that comes with "new" movements that rehab can't create.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Any update on Talbot? I don't see anything on the Oilers site regarding an estimated return time, or if he's close to returning or not.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So frustrating is the secretive nature of management and the coaching staff about injured oilers. Help keep the fans at ease. Dam.
Why?

Fans lose it when a guy comes back too soon. If he comes back one game after he was suppose to, they lose it again.

There is no winning with the fans.

I also don't think they are overly secretive either. TM has been pretty clear lately when asked.

The problem is the questions asked are so f***ing vague that he answers very similarly. Maybe if the media asked direct questions with timelines they'd be fine. Instead you have guys that ask the same question everyday about Klefbom.

Reactions: Night Witch

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Any update on Talbot? I don't see anything on the Oilers site regarding an estimated return time, or if he's close to returning or not.
I listed to Todd's post practice interview said Talbot is really close, won't be in next game but maybe the weekend and Larsson went from having a setback to again being on the mend and is again day to day, no suggested timeline for Larsson, but said if he wakes up and things feel better he could be back in rather quickly.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Skated with team yesterday is all I really heard this morning

I listed to Todd's post practice interview said Talbot is really close, won't be in next game but maybe the weekend and Larsson went from having a setback to again being on the mend and is again day to day, no suggested timeline for Larsson, but said if he wakes up and things feel better he could be back in rather quickly.

Awesome, thanks for the replies and updates!!

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
So what's going on with Sekera? I thought he was skating with the team a few weeks ago. I thought I heard he was coming back earlier than expected...i guess not

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
So what's going on with Sekera? I thought he was skating with the team a few weeks ago. I thought I heard he was coming back earlier than expected...i guess not

Gregor was saying about a week ago that Sekera was aiming for a return around christmas. So the smart money would be on a return for the Dec 27th game, as it would buy Sekera another 3 days to heal, and the Oilers only play 2 games over 8 days. That is somewhat when I would expect Larsson and Talbot back as well to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad