Injury Report: Injured Players Thread (3/6: Staal Out Indefinitely; Not Career Threatening)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dagoon44

Sep 15, 2003
NJ
dagoon44.blogspot.com
if there was a break in the eye area he would have been rushed into surgery because of the chance of the eye ball shifting or moving back or down. the fact he never went to the hospital is a solid sign he has a big cut and a huge black eye and got very lucky

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
This first picture makes it look really really bad like he'll probably never see again out of the right eye:

BEpHMUUCcAA-kiM.jpg:large

But if you look at the full shot in slow motion:

staalface_medium.gif

I believe the still captures the deflection and not the original impact. i.e. what you're seeing in that still is not the puck slamming into the eye but instead the puck bouncing down after hitting the bone at the eyebrow

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Yea that is definitely positive news. Would think if it was anythin really serious/threatening he would have went to the ER.

Unless they need to wait for swelling to go down to check out damage to the eye? I'm no doctor...

thelos

Bunk
Jul 19, 2011
Hopefully Staal recovers okay. Sucks to see injuries like this.

Hopefully it doesnt bring back his concussion issues like Pronger's eye injury did

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Incredibly lucky that he didn't need a trip to the ER last night. Jeez.

This first picture makes it look really really bad like he'll probably never see again out of the right eye:

staalface_medium.gif

I believe the still captures the deflection and not the original impact. i.e. what you're seeing in that still is not the puck slamming into the eye but instead the puck bouncing down after hitting the bone at the eyebrow

The 2nd replay shows the first point of contact was his helmet. Which means he's VERY VERY lucky.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
i've never worn a visor before, never will. haven't been hit with a puck or stick - yet - i know it will sooner or later but i'll deal with it there and then lol i've a huge head and any visor seems to make helmets fit wierd.

if staal misses any time how about calling up mcilrath?!

Played for years without one, tried visors and took them off during the game because I couldn't stand it. Three weeks ago I got a puck come up off a stick just beside my right eye and I now have a nice one inch vertical scar on my forehead next to my eyebrow. I went out and bought the thinnest cage I could find. It was annoying for about half of the first game, especially when trying to find loose pucks near your feet, but now I don't really notice it anymore. It was my turn and like you alluded to it will be yours eventually. Having said that, I think it's every guy's decision and I don't think making it mandatory is the way to go personally. Especially at the pro level. In a beer league I just kind of realized the slight advantage it gave me wasn't worth losing an eye over. Mind you it took a puck to the face to make me realize that. :laugh:

Anyway, glad to hear what sounds like positive news this morning regarding Staal. Anytime this stuff near the eyes happens to any player for any team you just cringe and hope for the best.

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
scary scary stuff. i think it hits the eyebrow/helmet then bounces and hits collar bone.. so so sooooo lucky not direct shot to the eye... prob broke something, needs stitches but no hospital is a good sign nothing serious.. Guys should wear visor, i dont understand it, especially your dman that blocks shots and are prone to more of those types of injuries...

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas

staalface_medium.gif

I think that is clearly the case as well. That still shot actually aggravates me for this reason.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Does the puck catch a little of the helmet too? Because if you look at the .gif it recoils back a bit.

Its got to be before it hits his eye/brow area, because the puck goes down. Nonethless, it lessened the impact a bit which is good.

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
We will probably get news first from his brothers in Carolina than the Rangers. I'm sure they will spill the beans to someone after being asked about their brother's injury, visors, etc...

Hockey Team

Hunger Force
Dec 30, 2009
New York, NY
There's NO broken bones and NO damage to the eye.

Either of those guarantees he would be visiting the hospital.

I will eat pubes if he has either of those and he didn't go to the hospital, because that would be pure negligence.

We'll probably see him back on thursday. They'll probably make him wear a visor for at least a few games until the injury fully heals.

Vickers8

Does the puck catch a little of the helmet too? Because if you look at the .gif it recoils back a bit.

Its got to be before it hits his eye/brow area, because the puck goes down. Nonethless, it lessened the impact a bit which is good.

Plus it was a long shot and deflected

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
What's with you and eating pubes? Seen you a post it a few times and its pretty gross lol mostly just hear about eating crow.

Haha blame Kershaw from last years playoffs. He's the one who said it, I believe he said if we won the Ottawa series he'd eat his own pubes. He's just a BIT of a pessimist if you haven't noticed.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
What's with you and eating pubes? Seen you a post it a few times and its pretty gross lol mostly just hear about eating crow.

It was a thing last season Kershaw started during the last part of the season regarding the Rangers position in the standings versus Pitt. IIRC.

poeman

To Win The One Ring
Mar 8, 2006
Brendan Shanahan the man who never wore visors should probably look into getting players wearing visors now...Eyes are precious and sensitive.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
“@AGrossRecord: No update on #NYR D Marc Staal yet but one is expected at some point today.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad