Injury Report: Injured Players Thread (3/6: Staal Out Indefinitely; Not Career Threatening)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khelvan

Apr 5, 2002
Oakland, CA
I've never played the game of hockey WITHOUT a full shield or cage. If every player were expected to do so from the moment they began playing hockey, as is the case in most leagues, this would be a non-issue. There would be no "discomfort" at all, and if the wearing of visors/cages/shields prevented just ONE injury over the years, wouldn't that be worth it? Given that, if all players coming into the league had to wear them, no one ever became accustomed to going without, thus there is absolutely no cost to doing so?

Apr 10, 2012
saw this on another board, dunno if it was posted here

TXJFXbx.png

hopefully that's a shadow and not the puck on his eye

poll on the main boards: visor mandatory or not and gives option of mandatory with a grandfather clause for those already in the league playing without one and that's def a better idea than forcing it now

blueshirtbolt

Aug 12, 2009
i've never worn a visor before, never will. haven't been hit with a puck or stick - yet - i know it will sooner or later but i'll deal with it there and then lol i've a huge head and any visor seems to make helmets fit wierd.

if staal misses any time how about calling up mcilrath?!

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
I've never played the game of hockey WITHOUT a full shield or cage. If every player were expected to do so from the moment they began playing hockey, as is the case in most leagues, this would be a non-issue. There would be no "discomfort" at all, and if the wearing of visors/cages/shields prevented just ONE injury over the years, wouldn't that be worth it? Given that, if all players coming into the league had to wear them, no one ever became accustomed to going without, thus there is absolutely no cost to doing so?

I think it should be mandatory. Any time it was optional in any of my leagues, I've always broken something (nose - multiple times, orbital bone, teeth, whatever). There was no way I would play with one if I had a choice, even if I saw my friends get their eyesight damaged. I know it's stupid, but it's just ingrained in you from when you are little.

YogiCanucks

Jan 1, 2007
Vancouver BC
Really hope Staal is okay. I don't want any player to go through another eye injury (a la Manny Malhotra in 2011). I'm sure the NYR will do anything and everything in their power to help Marc on and off the ice.

RegalRangers

Oct 23, 2005
Los Angeles
If I were an NHL team owner I would want mandatory visors because one errant puck can mean losing a valuable asset forever for nothing.

99.9% of me is reacting to this with concern for this man's health. 0.1% of me is pissed off because this wouldn't have happened if he hadn't been too macho to wear a visor.

Apr 10, 2012
there's a reason that everybody isn't running around in full kevlar body suits. it's not 100% about being macho, a lot of it is about comfort. if a guy's skating around all day trying to play with a glare or foggy visor he's not going to play as well. i'm for mandatory visors, but idk... i never had to play with one

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
This is the injury thread, isn't it better to discuss visor issues in a seprate thread?

Hank says this to Aftonbladet:
Presumably a bone in his face was broken, it looked like that from his nose and eye as he stood up.
http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/internationellt/nhl/article16362569.ab

I guess that the nose isn't that big of a worry. But the orbital bone (not 100% I use the correct en word? The bone under/around the eye) is usually in danger in these type of situations. That's about 3-4 weeks right? (if there is no concussion/actual damage to the eye)

Last edited:

Clown Baby*

If Hasek can play goal with his cage at his previous level, and Crosby, Ovechkin, and Malkin can play at their level with visors, there's no reason for everyone else to not skate with full visors. They need to be made mandatory (with a grandfather clause) immediately.

Apr 10, 2012
This is the injury thread, isn't it better to discuss visor issues in a seprate thread?

Hank says this to Aftonbladet:

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/internationellt/nhl/article16362569.ab

I guess that the nose isn't that big of a worry. But the orbital bone (not 100% I use the correct en word? The bone under/around the eye) is usually in danger in these type of situations. That's about 3-4 weeks right? (if there is no concussion/actual damage to the eye)

idk that we can assume breakage yet or not... the picture def helps the theory, but it could just be swelling or w/e... let's just hope he pulls a girardi and it's just a bone bruise or something

also-- yes, you are correct. that is the orbital bone. time frame is going to have a lot to do with the extent of the injury and this is going to be one of those where we can't even fathom a guess because of where he got hit. he might be lucky and just have a small chip

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
That looked pretty awful - only real glimmer of hope is that it was deflected. I'm on board with the mandatory shields because all of these guys have worn cages and shields their entire careers up until the NHL (for the most part). Grandfather it and get it over with. A cage/sheild can be a pain in the ass to play with, but you get used to it.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
If safety is your biggest concern, visors should just be skipped all together and the NHL should enforce full-cages. That's the only way you're going to completely protect the players faces.

Why isn't anyone that's pro-visors suggesting this?

I would love to see both NHLers and juniors wearing full cages. Not only will it protect against all sorts of cuts, bruises, eye damage, broken teeth....but they can also absorb some of the impact from dirty hits from behind into the boards and any other play where a player goes face first into anything (goalpost, into another player, into the boards, etc).

It makes the most about of sense. Too bad there are still too many dinosaurs left in the game who try too hard to act like walking around with a half dozen missing teeth somehow makes someone tough. Sorry kids, but it doesn't. It means you were too slow to get out of the way and too stupid to use the protection that exists.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
This is an INJURY THREAD. It's not here to discuss player safety or the benefits and drawbacks of mandating visors. Take that discussion somewhere else.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
I heard he posted a picture of the eye last night after the game. Anyone see it? I cant find it currently.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I think hell be fine regarding the swelling and all, just have to hope no broken orbital bones or direct eye damage (though when slowed down you can see it hit his brow, then his cheek)

Also have to worry about a concussion, which is something we may not know about, even at this stage. I would guess hes going to be out at least until Sunday at the very minimum.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Team will have to step up like they did last year. Though not having Sauer to log minutes definitely makes things more difficult.

Above all though, just really hoping Staal's vision is ok. Scary stuff.

Vickers8

I believe he will be fine, that could have been a career ender, scary coincidence, Barry Ashbee's career ended in that same faceoff circle, on a Dale Rolfe slapshot directly to his eye in '74

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
“@KatieStrangESPN: $NYR No update yet on Marc Staal, who left game Tuesday after taking puck to the eye. He did not go to the hospital last night”

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
“@KatieStrangESPN: $NYR No update yet on Marc Staal, who left game Tuesday after taking puck to the eye. He did not go to the hospital last nightâ€

Definitely a good sign that it was something that the trainers could handle/could wait until today to address more thoroughly.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Swelling is massive the day after, xray's were done immediately im sure and hopefully revealed no break. If his orbital bone was shattered, he would be in surgery right now.

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
No hospital visit is deff real good.. prob/hopefully bad bad bruise and stitches... im sure he'll be out a few game of course..but get well soon staal, well miss you out there!!

NYROrtsFan

Feb 1, 2007
Exactly...
No hospital visit is as good of news as you can get.

Think it was pretty clear that there was no concussion, the big worry was definitely damage to the eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad