Post-Game Talk: In which we praise Dan Bylsma, with straight faces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I don't believe that he was napping. I think he was playing with absolutely horrible compliments to the game he plays, and he simply isn't good enough to be effective on an island.

Torey Krug was one-handing him to a complete stop every time he shared the ice against Boston. When you're getting manhandled by a guy 7 inches shorter than you are, you're not even trying. That's got nothing to do with Adams.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Well as a positive, I Copyrighted the phrase 'getting to our game' last offseason. I get a nickle every time Dan says it.

I am thinking of using the money to buy a bigger house.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I don't believe that he was napping. I think he was playing with absolutely horrible compliments to the game he plays, and he simply isn't good enough to be effective on an island.

Meh, I would agree somewhat. Until the Kesler trade rumors were abound around the deadline, Sutter was playing like ****. He did seem to get a jump in his legs around that time.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Torey Krug was one-handing him to a complete stop every time he shared the ice against Boston. When you're getting manhandled by a guy 7 inches shorter than you are, you're not even trying. That's got nothing to do with Adams.

Well now you're exaggerating. Sutter didn't play well in the PO last year, but it was his first time through. He's playing tons better this year. And the only major change to occur in the last part of this season was finding chemistry with a few decent linemates. He had spurts of great play throughout the early part of the season when he had Conner, Gibbons, Dupuis and JJ, and didn't play well when he had Glass and Pyatt.

He has things to address in his game, and he needs to put on some muscle, but the speed, hands and hockey sense are there.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
What would you say, you do here?

03-15-42_dan-bylsma_original.jpg
:laugh:

So Dan, let me ask a quick question. How much time would you say you spend dealing with mustache boy?

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Good news is that regardless of Sutter playing well now we should still be able to sign him to a cap-friendly deal . He wasn't nearly consistent enough to demand more. So we should be able to lock him up for another 4-5 years on what will look like a total steal down the road after him becoming a very solid player.

If that does happen, we should all be glad he had no wingers up until now.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
Bad linemates notwithstanding, Sutter was just not good this season. Weak on the puck and lacking intensity and drive.

He's been the exact opposite this postseason and even the last bit of the regular season. We all knew he had it in him and we've all seen it before. Linemates help but a lot of it is just on him. He's driving and he's engaged physically, something nobody thought would ever happen in January. Great seeing it from him.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Bad linemates notwithstanding, Sutter was just not good this season. Weak on the puck and lacking intensity and drive.

He's been the exact opposite this postseason and even the last bit of the regular season. We all knew he had it in him and we've all seen it before. Linemates help but a lot of it is just on him. He's driving and he's engaged physically, something nobody thought would ever happen in January. Great seeing it from him.

I thought he would be once he got linemates, so did a lot of folks, go read the whining about Sutter threads from earlier and you'll see a lot of the usual suspects on this board:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1519955&highlight=sutter

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1577601&highlight=sutter

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
I thought he would be once he got linemates, so did a lot of folks, go read the whining about Sutter threads from earlier and you'll see a lot of the usual suspects on this board:

Without even looking at the threads, I don't disbelieve you... but none of that is on his linemates. He was just playing incredibly weak and passive. When Sid and Geno double with the fourth line they don't automatically turn to garbage. They continue to do things right.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

If the hypothesis is all Sutter needed was better linemates to not play like a sack of crap, that hypothesis was proven wrong.

He improved his play. He also got better linemates. But the latter didn't happen until after the former.

He began playing worthwhile hockey for more than a shift here or there for the first time in this uniform when he was demoted to the fourth with Adams and Glass. They're not "better" linemates than he had prior to improving his play. They're the same or worse.

His improvement is on him and just him. So was whatever the Hell garbage brand of "hockey" he was playing prior to a month ago.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
If the hypothesis is all Sutter needed was better linemates to not play like a sack of crap, that hypothesis was proven wrong.

He improved his play. He also got better linemates. But the latter didn't happen until after the former.

He began playing worthwhile hockey for more than a shift here or there for the first time in this uniform when he was demoted to the fourth with Adams and Glass. They're not "better" linemates than he had prior to improving his play. They're the same or worse.

His improvement is on him and just him. So was whatever the Hell garbage brand of "hockey" he was playing prior to a month ago.

He got demoted and played with Gibbons.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
Side note, and since most people will refuse to give credit where it's due, but Adams has been legitimately good this series. Whatever gear he kicked it in to, it's working. I don't get the *****ing from people so far this series unless your mind has already been made up, which is likely a solid number of people.

Other side note: Glass has been awful. I've always maintained people gave him too much crap during the regular season, I don't buy in to the hivemind BS around here... but he really has been bad so far. Low minutes last game, hopefully he's out when Gibbons is back. Dare to dream I suppose.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Side note, and since most people will refuse to give credit where it's due, but Adams has been legitimately good this series. Whatever gear he kicked it in to, it's working. I don't get the *****ing from people so far this series unless your mind has already been made up, which is likely a solid number of people.

Other side note: Glass has been awful. I've always maintained people gave him too much crap during the regular season, I don't buy in to the hivemind BS around here... but he really has been bad so far. Low minutes last game, hopefully he's out when Gibbons is back. Dare to dream I suppose.
Agreed on both sides. Right now, I have a little more confidence in Bylsma. He´s treating Glass like a 12th forward now and is rewarding Vitale for a good play. He promised that he´ll find a spot for Gibbons, so Glass is the most logical option right now. Who else??

Gibbons for Glass and our forward group is suddenly really deep & solid. Who would´ve thought that a two months ago??

ByeBye

Jul 13, 2010

For people who know how to interpret that, Glass and Scuderi are also far and away the worst players when you look at advanced stats. That kind of supports the eyeball test. Both should sit.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
Agreed on both sides. Right now, I have a little more confidence in Bylsma. He´s treating Glass like a 12th forward now and is rewarding Vitale for a good play. He promised that he´ll find a spot for Gibbons, so Glass is the most logical option right now. Who else??

Gibbons for Glass and our forward group is really deep & solid. Who would´ve thought that a two months ago??

Very true. Getting a couple real solid guys in Stemp and Goc changes things too.

I honestly don't know who he would take out for Gibbons over Glass though. Vitale's consistently been getting more opportunities and playing time than Glass since he's been back from injury. There's no other option, it's one of those two. If Glass sits for Gibbons I'll be ecstatic.

For people who know how to interpret that, Glass and Scuderi are also far and away the worst players when you look at advanced stats. That kind of supports the eyeball test. Both should sit.

Yeah, I know. Always got to look at context too and not solely the stats. Sutter was last in fenwick and corsi heading in to game three and I don't know anyone who would have said he's been bad. Glass and Scuderi seem to earn their numbers though.

Michael8771*

This is an excellent post and encapsulates my opinion in regards to Sutter perfectly. Well stated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad