Post-Game Talk: In which we praise Dan Bylsma, with straight faces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
There is no reason to advocate Scuderi. He was the same **** as in previous games, the only reason he didn´t cost us something were his limited minutes and Bortuzzo saving his ass. Scuderi can´t clear the zone/make a solid first pass. He can´t handle the forecheck, immediately turning the puck over or at least sending the puck to 50-50 area. The key was that Bortz was winning those 50-50 battles and clearing the puck, but Scuderi was as horrible as always and needs to sit when Orpik comes back.

Sorry

May 18, 2005
...other than the first goal...he played well, as in reasonably competently most of the time

If he was a forward I would be OK with that

Play him as a left wing. It's obvious. He could be our Brent Burns but the "brains" are too stubborn to accept his failure at defense.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Scuderi played like our worst d-man. That's not good regardless of salary. He is playing at a level that should have him replaced by Engelland or Despres. If Orpik comes back, Scuds should sit before Bort.

Did Scuderi have a terrible night? No. Was he our worst d-man? Yes.

I think we agree,I thought all 6 def played good games, i mean CBJ had very few chances during the game, saying he was the worst dman last night might even be true, but like i said they all had good games, it was by far Scuderi's best game of the series IMO.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think we agree,I thought all 6 def played good games, i mean CBJ had very few chances during the game, saying he was the worst dman last night might even be true, but like i said they all had good games, it was by far Scuderi's best game of the series IMO.

I think Despres would be doing better. That's what bothers me.

Rectify

I HAVE A JOB!!
Oct 16, 2008
Around

Agreed that it was by far the best game for our defense as a whole (meaning everyone). Scuderi was still the worst though, and he did have a good game. Orpik not being in the lineup helps drastically.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Agreed that it was by far the best game for our defense as a whole (meaning everyone). Scuderi was still the worst though, and he did have a good game. Orpik not being in the lineup helps drastically.

even if Orpik himself is not a problem (and he is), Orpik being out actually created smart defensive pairs, minutes played, and forward/D combinations.

The sad thing is, the coaching staff won't learn anything from it. (meaning, if/when Orpik is healthy, they'll just go back to Orpik/Martin, Scuderi/Letang, Maatta/Niskanen)

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
You guys are bringing up Scuderi's cap hit, that is another issue, im talking about how he played last night.

He was signed in the off season to be in the top 4, nobody knew Nisky would still be here or play at the level he is playing at, same goes with Maatta.

How can you not see that a guy who was signed to play in the top 4 and that is actually playing like a #6/7 Dman isn't a good thing?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Shelly Anderson @pgshelly

Nine players at #Penguins optional skate. Looks like Scuderi the only regular.

YinzAintBurgh*

I've been a fan of Scuderi but when Hooks comes back. I would be fine with sitting Scuderi for Bortuzzo. He quietly played a great game. I don't think I saw him make one mistake or stupid turnover.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
even if Orpik himself is not a problem (and he is), Orpik being out actually created smart defensive pairs, minutes played, and forward/D combinations.

The sad thing is, the coaching staff won't learn anything from it. (meaning, if/when Orpik is healthy, they'll just go back to Orpik/Martin, Scuderi/Letang, Maatta/Niskanen)

if orpik is back we better get back to Martin Orpik, combo, that is the only place where Orpik would not cost us bunch of goals, put him with anyone else we are screwed.

so there is not much rom left to improvize

Sorry

May 18, 2005
I've been a fan of Scuderi but when Hooks comes back. I would be fine with sitting Scuderi for Bortuzzo. He quietly played a great game. I don't think I saw him make one mistake or stupid turnover.

Yeah, that's not going to happen.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Shelly Anderson @pgshelly

Nine players at #Penguins optional skate. Looks like Scuderi the only regular.

So, not injured and probably aware that he looks like ****.

if orpik is back we better get back to Martin Orpik, combo, that is the only place where Orpik would not cost us bunch of goals, put him with anyone else we are screwed.

so there is not much rom left to improvize

Except what if the only place Letang looks good is with Martin? If those two both need one player there's a serious issue.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
you know who else both letang and Scuderi have looked good with?

lardass-07.jpg

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
+ Fleury never left his net on dump-ins.

+ The line combos

+ line matching.

+ using Vitale, Goc and Sutter a lot.

+ benching Orpik.

+ Minimizing Scuderi.

+ better defensive zone play and coverage.

No negatives towards Bylsma tonight. He did so many things I never thought he could do. (wait, one negative: PLAY BEAU BENNETT MORE YOU BOOB)

The+Eagles+-+Hell+Freezes+Over+-+VIDEO+CD-350180.jpg

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Look, Im pretty happy with this game, but its too much like Deja Vu from the Isles series last year... run into the obvious problems over the first four games, fix it when desperate... revert for the next series... They have to prove that this isn't just like Reducing Scuderis minutes in game 3... a one time or short term fix...

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
They haven't been held to a similar standard in quite a while now. I think it's down to a couple things. One, Geno is just generally a more likeable guy. He's more loose and has a goofball personality. Sid's more reserved and "boring". In some ways Geno's simply an easier guy to root for.

Two, Geno's game is much more aesthetically pleasing. He's more likely to try guys one-on-one, he'll hang onto the puck and circle the offensive zone a lot, he'll carry the puck through the neutral zone at top speed, etc. Even when these things don't amount to anything, he's given credit for "flying". There's much less wasted motion in Sid's game and, again, it's more "boring" even though he gets slightly better results.

How'd you come up with this. The entire PGH hockey media sans Dejan cannot wait to unload on geno, Sid is untouchable and never ever questioned or criticized

here on this board Sid does get some criticism but what's wrong with that...
He had a decent game, crap first period, picked up in second and third, still nowhere closet to Sid level, why is thatt so hard to accept. One game, one series is not going to make him a bad player, we all want him to score five each night.

I don't get this sensitivity it gets so annoying, same for Geno, Geno was totally out of it last night, many of us said the worst game of the series, he was useless, did not seem to have an idea what to do, I am worrying just because we won, HCDB will continue to roll them same way...I just don't think that is a good idea...for either Geno or Sid (at this point)

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
How'd you come up with this. The entire PGH hockey media sans Dejan cannot wait to unload on geno, Sid is untouchable and never ever questioned or criticized

He had a decent game, crap first period, picked up in second and third, still nowhere closet to Sid level, why is thatt so hard to accept. One game, one series is not going to make him a bad player, we all want him to score five each night.

I don't get this sensitivity it gets so annoying, same for Geno, Geno was totally out of it last night, many of us said the worst game of the series, he was useless, did not seem to have an idea what to do, I am worrying just because we won, HCDB will continue to roll them same way...I just don't think that is a good idea...for either Geno or Sid (at this point)

Well as long as he keeps JJ-Sutter-Bennett/Neal together

Kuni-Sid-Stemps
Vitale-Geno-BB/Neal

are still good lines

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Stemps is the one who created the goal with Sutter and JJ.

Juice - Sutter - Stempniak is the 3rd line I want right now. Bennett with Geno and Neal.

Yeah, I'm pretty good with that too!

Top 6 of:

Kuni-Sid-Who the hell goes here? Vitale?
BB-Geno-Neal

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I don't think it's quite so simple with Sutter. There's been plenty of times where he's flat out dogged it on the ice and has looked completely soft and lazy. He only seems to give 110% in bursts.

Sutter needs help, like pretty much every third line pivot in the league. Since he has been with talented line mates, I haven't seen him dog it at all.

Skating with guys like Glass, Adams, TK, and even Cooke wasn't helping bring out the best in Sutter. His game is predicated on speed, not grinding on the boards like Staal did. Once he was put with guys who can make plays such as BB, Stemps and Gibbons, he came alive. Those guys helped him play his game, and with that his confidence grew and you can see that in every aspect of his game now.

I just don't see any mystery there.

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
The first reason is borderline ridiculous, and the second is an opinion. Neither are good reasons for people to co stantly look for reasons to ***** about the best player in the world.
I agree completely. I think they're ridiculous reasons but I still think it's part of why, on this board, Sid seems to be getting the harsher criticism. I also think that Sid being the consensus best player in the world makes him an easier target for internet contrarians.

I'm talking about specifically on this board. In the media, I would agree that Malkin probably gets the harsher treatment. On here, it's a little different. Both guys have failed to deliver so far. There's no denying that and there's nothing wrong with them getting criticism as long as it's even-handed. But on here we see a lot more over-the-top "Sid sucks" posts than we do for Geno. For Geno it's always more about his linemates or how he's being used.

I mean this isn't even really my opinion, it's a fact. Just read through this very thread or any of the recent post game threads. This discussion started specifically because of another over-the-top "Sid is trash" post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad