GDT: "In The Running" • FLAT CAP FRENZY • Oct.9.2020 • 10 AM • SN / TSN

Which of these free agents do you want the Oilers to sign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigTime99

Mar 27, 2014
Would it make sense for the oilers and sens to trade chiasson for gaborik ltir?
4.875mil gaborik
4.2mil klefbom
2.15mil gain from chiasson
2.8mil cap space after rfa signed

Thats about $14mil in cap space.
Should be enough for:
2 dmen (barrie, psysk)
1lw (hoffman, grandlund, hall?)
1b goalie

Ringo13

Jul 9, 2007
I still think we need a true energy/shut down line. We get more than enough offense from the top 2 lines. Nothing needed there.
Ennis Turris Archibald is a great 4th line. What we need is a 3rd line!

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Would it make sense for the oilers and sens to trade chiasson for gaborik ltir?
4.875mil gaborik
4.2mil klefbom
2.15mil gain from chiasson
2.8mil cap space after rfa signed

Thats about $14mil in cap space.
Should be enough for:
2 dmen (barrie, psysk)
1lw (hoffman, grandlund, hall?)
1b goalie

I don’t think OTT has to pay that contract (insurance), so they don’t really care about moving it. Chiasson for Gaborik costs them 2.15M real dollars that they would want an asset for the privilege of acquiring. I do wonder if they would take a low pick (5th rd next year say) and be happy to have a veteran they are familiar with in Chiasson, or if they would grill us like most teams and ask for a 2nd+.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
If you couldn't get Markstrom for cheaper and shorter term and can't get Kuemper for less than a 1st round pick then waiting is best plan. Teams are getting their goalies and there are going to be more goalies left than desirable jobs open. Guys will realize that and have to take less to battle with Miko for playing time.

Overall, our team defense at even strength still scares me a lot. If our special teams regresses at all we may not be a playoff team.

We need D men who can move the puck in transition. Bouchard is close, Jones and Bear are at that age where they should start taking the next step. Broberg, Samorukov, Lagesson, etc. are still brewing and another year or so away at the earliest. Lagesson is likely the most pro ready for a #7 type role. The cavalry is on the way but still a little ways out, I think Bouchard makes the team out of camp.

I agree though, we do need to pick up one of the remaining D who has real, legitimate NHL experience.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
I'd say our lack of a third line is more sad than funny, but I understand why you think it's funny

OK, if you think we get “MORE than enough offence” from the top 6, then I guess we can take Nuge back down as our 3rd line Center, in between Neal and Kassian. Voila, third line. Puljujarvi and one of Nygard/Benson/Chiasson move into the top 6.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I'd say our lack of a third line is more sad than funny, but I understand why you think it's funny

Lack of skill and scoring in the bottom 6 has plagued us for like two decades outside of one big run in 2005-06. Even that team was largely because of Pronger and just a bunch of tough ****ing blue collar attitude guys that outworked teams into submission.

Ennis-Turris-Pulju is likely the third line out of camp would be my guess, a lot can happen though. Turris specifically was talking about playing Pulju, I would imagine Holland had conversations with him about that.

That’s a lot of skill if they all click and should have some very favourable matchups. You need skill and depth to win in this league.

Reactions: Oilhawks

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Aside from Kuemper what trade options are there out there for goalies (that would be plausible for us)? Freddy Andersen? Who else?
Mrazek, Reimer, Hutton, Kuemper, Varlamov, Raanta, Rask, Fleury, Nilsson.

Last edited:

Ringo13

Jul 9, 2007
OK, if you think we get “MORE than enough offence” from the top 6, then I guess we can take Nuge back down as our 3rd line Center, in between Neal and Kassian. Voila, third line. Puljujarvi and Benson move into the top 6.
I wouldn't do that, but I wouldn't add to it. That's for sure. Too top heavy.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I’d be ok with Smith for one more year
This is unfortunately probably the outcome to expect in the next week. I don’t see Edmonton getting Greiss, looking at what Crawford just got he probably prices himself out of Edmonton’s range.

I don’t see Holland going the trade route, so it wouldn’t shock me if Smith is back on an identical deal to last year.

Though he’s 38, he was below average in all statistical categories last year, his partner beat his in SVP by a whopping .15%, which is hard to do when you play almost the same amount of games on the same team.

It’s not a move I like but at this point it’s probably the last option.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I still think we need a true energy/shut down line. We get more than enough offense from the top 2 lines. Nothing needed there.
Ennis Turris Archibald is a great 4th line. What we need is a 3rd line!
Our 'energy' line will be the fourth line. As it stands Khaira/Haas will center it unless we get a cheap 4C in the later stages of FA.

The 'third' line is going to be a third scoring line seeing soft minutes in all likelihood, allowing Puljujarvi to get his feet wet. Turris' assignment is probably helping JP out in a similar manner that Strome did. Hopefully the results are better.

If a 'shutdown' line happens, it'll probably be later in the season when we can add a heavier cap hit.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I 1000% see Barrie going to Van, they have the space to give him a cheap 1 year deal, can probably afford to pay him more than EDM, they have like 7.9M and only have to sign Virtanen and Gaudette as RFA.

Benning wanted to make a big splash but couldn’t make it happen, no way he sits back and let’s hm go elsewhere.

Reactions: gordonhught

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Chara is taking his time and seriously considering offers from multiple teams. Wouldn’t this be an ideal short-term Klefbom replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad