Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XLV

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
O'Reilly is RFA, nothing happens if he's not signed by the deadline. He can't go anywhere, he can't walk. The Avs hold his rights. Don't hold your breath waiting for him to get signed anytime soon. There is no reason for him to accept a deal right now.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
O'Reilly is RFA, nothing happens if he's not signed by the deadline. He can't go anywhere, he can't walk. The Avs hold his rights. Don't hold your breath waiting for him to get signed anytime soon. There is no reason for him to accept a deal right now.

Yep, and the avs have to get a deal done with staz first because he is a UFA, so I'll be surprised if Radar doesn't end this season without an extension.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Every player on the team and every member of the new management embraces O'Reilly. He's the one still here after last year's issues, not the guys who were on the other side of the table causing them. Looks like the Kroenkes chose a side. Of course, it's best to take the opinion of an emotional fan with zero understanding of anything that has transpired. That's always the right approach.

To be fair, it APPEARS that that ROR is embraced by the players and the management, as well as it APPEARS that ROR embraces the Avs. They are professionals (both sides) and as such should be acting that way whether it is true or not.

Until a new deal is signed, I'll hold some of my doubts as to whether he will be an Av come next season, and I'll wait and see who's choices facilitate the outcome.

I think it is quite fair for a fan to speculate from the view that ROR and KSE may still have an issue, that due to circumstances surrounding the offer sheet, has not yet been resolved. Sacco, PL, EL, and Sherman were not replaced for the ROR situation alone, so saying ROR is the last man standing is premature until a new deal with the Avs is done.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
O'Reilly is RFA, nothing happens if he's not signed by the deadline. He can't go anywhere, he can't walk. The Avs hold his rights. Don't hold your breath waiting for him to get signed anytime soon.There is no reason for him to accept a deal right now.

Maybe wishful thinking on my part but how about: maybe a 'fair' deal is offered and ROR wants to stay and eventually win a cup with the Avs?

I believe those discussions will occur (likely in January) and if the ROR camp is only interested in maximizing every dollar [ie: no interest in anything long-term and deadset on going to arb] then I believe he will absolutely be shipped out for some immediate help because I doubt very much that Roy will let this thing drag on.

I'm not so sure the Avs want to qualify him at $6.5m given the extensions given to Dutchy & Lando, I mean they will if they have to but I can't see that as being their preference. I can't see them taking him to arbitration, even though it is their right, this might bring his number down but would likely guarantee he walks as soon as possible.

Bottom line: this gets resolved one way or another before the trade deadline, imo.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
O'Reilly is still represented by the same agents that had him, Subban, Doughty miss training camp. They like to use brinkmanship as a negotiating tactic. With O'Reilly having to be qualified at $6.5M/year or taken to salary arbitration, things could certainly take a bad turn unless the player takes control of the situation.

It's O'Reilly's turn to buy in like others have.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If O'Reilly's agent really sticks to that $6.5M number as a start for negotiations, it's gonna be a sticking point. It's an artificially high number that was designed for Colorado not to match. Ryan really needs to step in and take a bigger lead in this, at least in terms of what he does and doesn't want his agent to do.

Ryan is an outstanding player, and one of my favorites on the team, but he can't negotiate like he's Duchene or a PPG player. He never has been. He's had an 18 goal, and a 55 point season as his career high so far. He's off to a very good start this year, but is on a 31 goal, 55 point pace.

That 31 goal number is pretty good, but it's not $6M+ good. Especially since it would only have been one season anywhere near that number.

To me a 5x5 or a $5.5M x 5 at most should make him perfectly happy. Long term security, and a great number, which before his crazy offer sheet from Feaster was a deal he probably would have loved to sign.

Just set aside the ego a bit, and don't let your agent try to strong arm the team again for the highest possible number.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Unless they offer him a Kessel deal I don't see any way O'Reilly signs right now. Even if it's say a fair good money offer of say 6 AAV, which he might eventually sign, it does not benefit him to sign right now. He has 9 goals right now with a career high of 18, he's playing on the top line and getting the most minutes off any forward. It benefits him to see where he is at the end of the season and what his point totals look like. That agency is in no rush at all.

From my understanding they have to give him the QO to keep his rights then elect to go to arbitration, which if it gets to that point would be terrible but I'll remain optimistic. Why would they go to arbitration anyway, it's not like they can't afford even the 6.5. I don't think ROR just wants the QO and nothing else. Why would someone want 6.5M vs say a 30M contract? That is maximizing the dollars.

Last edited:

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
ROR and Stastny ultimately should both get slightly less Duchene. I'm not sure if either will settle for that though.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
No one on this team should be making as much as or more than Duchene. Hopefully O'Reilly and Stastny buy into that and accept less.

Burnaby_Joe*

No one on this team should be making as much as or more than Duchene. Hopefully O'Reilly and Stastny buy into that and accept less.

Agreed

I remember years ago when Bourque was in his prime, a GM(not Boston's)said no dman in the league should be paid more than Bourque. I can't remember who the dman was that wanted more cash than Bourque.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Agreed

I remember years ago when Bourque was in his prime, a GM(not Boston's)said no dman in the league should be paid more than Bourque. I can't remember who the dman was that wanted more cash than Bourque.

iirc, jacobs said that too. and not just dman but any player. no player should get more money than bourque. and jacobs was notorious cheap skate back then.

and ray, being the class act he always was, always took discount deal. and jacobs said no one can make the case for being paid more on bruins than their best player; well that is pretty strong argument but obviously many bruins players didn't like that as it limited the size off their wallets.

salary cap might have been one of the best things that could happen to bruins.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I was upset at ROR for the way negotiations went last time around.

But that was then, and this is now.

He's playing well, and I hope he gets extended. I hope negotiations go MUCH smoother this time. And if they look like they're going to go the way they did last time, I hope Ryan considers getting a different agent.

hattrick3518

Jan 31, 2011
B-Ham
I was upset at ROR for the way negotiations went last time around.

But that was then, and this is now.

He's playing well, and I hope he gets extended. I hope negotiations go MUCH smoother this time. And if they look like they're going to go the way they did last time, I hope Ryan considers getting a different agent.

Agree with this. I think ROR may have been more of a product of his agent than anything else last go around. I think he has a good head on his shoulders and should act differently in the next round of negotiations. I can see him taking a 5x5 type of deal.

But that's all wishful thinking for now, we'll have to wait and see what pans out

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Not proposing this or even think it would happen, but was not sure how it works.

After Klesla cleared waivers, if he was assigned to their AHL affiliate, could the Avs and Yotes traded Hunwick for Klesla without exposing either guy to waivers again?

Also, could Yotes have still retained salary in that deal if it was just an AHL <--->AHL deal?

Zih

Dater's Gonna Hate
Dec 19, 2008
Colorado
Aren't re-entry waivers a thing of the past now? Some quick googling reveals that they were eliminated in the new CBA.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Aren't re-entry waivers a thing of the past now? Some quick googling reveals that they were eliminated in the new CBA.

No reentry waivers, but was not sure if there was any kind of loophole with trades (although I figured there wasn't). Did wonder about if salary was retained though just cause the NHL always finds ways to surprise me.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
No reentry waivers, but was not sure if there was any kind of loophole with trades (although I figured there wasn't). Did wonder about if salary was retained though just cause the NHL always finds ways to surprise me.

Both are on NHL contracts. Can't see why two buried players can't be traded with some salary retained.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
From Garrioch...

http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/11/30/ryan-miller-wanted-in-long-island
Trying to stay in the NHL playoff picture, Colorado GM Joe Sakic has been sniffing around to try to get a defenceman. I’ve been told that LW Jamie McGinn has fallen out of favour with Avs’ coach Patrick Roy and is being shopped around as part of a deal to try to get blueline help. McGinn, 25, has a cap hit of $1.75 million and will be an RFA on July 1. He’s still young enough that he could be an attractive option

As a McGinn fan, this hurts, but he has definitely struggled after the first few games and probably has good value around the league.

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Doesn't surprise me at all. When Tanguay comes back and assuming there are no significant injuries I could see that happen. I hope it is someone decent though because McGinn is a nice asset to have.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I know you have to give to get, but our forward depth is diminishing rapidly if we keep on trading 2nd/3rd liners away.
I would agree, but I do think we have 3rd/4th line players developing in the AHL, like Carey and Malone, and Condon will turn pro after this season.

Our size up front would definitely take a hit without McGinn though.

Someone on the main board threw around McGinn and Elliott for Coburn and a pick. I'd imagine the Avs would listen to an offer like that.

Last edited:

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
I have always been a McGinn fan. Was really happy when we got him but he has been given every chance to succeed and has not stepped up at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad