Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Thank you, that is the detail I was missing

To be a little more specific, that is for performance bonuses only. Signing bonuses can be in any contract, but are just counted as salary in terms of the cap.

Now, a question I have, are there playoff shares given out in the NHL. I know there are in MLB, as in the players who win the World Series usually get a bonus at the end of the year. But do the players who win the Stanley Cup get a bonus as well. I would assume if they did, it wouldn't go against the cap.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
To be a little more specific, that is for performance bonuses only. Signing bonuses can be in any contract, but are just counted as salary in terms of the cap.

Now, a question I have, are there playoff shares given out in the NHL. I know there are in MLB, as in the players who win the World Series usually get a bonus at the end of the year. But do the players who win the Stanley Cup get a bonus as well. I would assume if they did, it wouldn't go against the cap.

I think so. I think I read that even though they don't get paid during the playoffs they get a bonus each round they advance and the first round was 15k.

Flanagan

Registered Loser
Jul 10, 2011
St. John's
Some more info from that article:

President’s Trophy winner (Chicago) — $500,000

First round losers — $2 million ($250,000 each to eight teams)

Second round losers — $2 million ($500,000 each to four teams)

Third round losers — $2.5 million ($1.25-million each to two teams)

Stanley Cup finalist — $2.25 million

Stanley Cup champion — $3.75 million

So even we got some bonuses last season

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Brennan Klak ‏@nhlupdate 13s
Panthers sign Greg Zanon to a one year deal. Played with the Rampage last year in the AHL

He is alive!

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Brennan Klak ‏@nhlupdate 13s
Panthers sign Greg Zanon to a one year deal. Played with the Rampage last year in the AHL

He is alive!

Another ex Av goes to Florida. I swear they could have got a decent return from them for PAP.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
They tried. No one was interested really.

I don't think we really know who was or wasn't interested. This is the same team that only talked to Philly when they moved Downie, because they identified Talbot as a player that could help address a need. I get the feeling that's how they see Briere.

I'm not really buying the idea that they couldn't have found a taker for PAP aside from Montreal. I would be absolutely flabbergasted if NYI wasn't interested in him with the amount of money they throw around, and the need for a Tavares winger after losing Moulson and Vanek.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I don't think we really know who was or wasn't interested. This is the same team that only talked to Philly when they moved Downie, because they identified Talbot as a player that could help address a need. I get the feeling that's how they see Briere.

I'm not really buying the idea that they couldn't have found a taker for PAP aside from Montreal. I would be absolutely flabbergasted if NYI wasn't interested in him with the amount of money they throw around, and the need for a Tavares winger after losing Moulson and Vanek.

It was pretty well known that PAP was being shopped from December until the deadline, and then the offseason (Ottawa and Montreal were connected, I'm sure others were as well). If somebody was really interested, they would have stepped up. One dimensional, soft, offensive players past their 'prime' don't hold a hell of a lot of value.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Isles have Okposo in PAP's old RW spot.
Isles were not bumping Okposo for PAP.

And with 16 forwards, the isles are now shopping Grabner /Bailey for a top four blueliner.
The first line LW spot will be filled internally. Likely from the group of Strome/B. Nelson/Lee.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It was pretty well known that PAP was being shopped from December until the deadline, and then the offseason (Ottawa and Montreal were connected, I'm sure others were as well). If somebody was really interested, they would have stepped up. One dimensional, soft, offensive players past their 'prime' don't hold a hell of a lot of value.

True but I also think most of us realize the Avs lost their motivation to trade him when Tanguay's injury turned into a season ender.

If they were a little more patient they could have got a much better 3rd line center for cheaper in Legwand at $3M, and maybe picked up a prospect or some picks from a team like NYI to restock the ones they seem to throw into the wind.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
True but I also think most of us realize the Avs lost their motivation to trade him when Tanguay's injury turned into a season ender.

If they were a little more patient they could have got a much better 3rd line center for cheaper in Legwand at $3M, and maybe picked up a prospect or some picks from a team like NYI to restock the ones they seem to throw into the wind.

Which was smart on their part. They needed to keep some forward depth instead of just dumping PAP at the time since they were in the middle of a playoff run. Dumping him now, they could take time to evaluate how to replace him and actually use free agency. When you look at it, they replaced Stastny + PAP + 5th with Iginila + Briere + Winchester.

Maybe they wanted to clear the future salary off the books so Josh would be willing to sign some checks/commit more to future payroll on July 1st?

I really don't think Briere was brought in as the #3C as Mitchell will be the #3C whether people want to believe it or not. Briere will likely be his RW or will play on the 4th line.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
So Zanon and Hunwick signed deals but MDZ, etc have not. And Zanon played like the first couple of games for the a Rampage and then the last couple of weeks, I couldn't figure out what happened to him and was shocked when he was there vs the Monsters at the end of the year.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Benoit must be asking for the world if Hunwick and Zanon can get signed before him.

He is probably regretting not taking the Avs up on their offer while it still stood. Sometimes heading to July 1st isn't the best way to get paid...

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I think Sakic and Roy refused to just dump PAP. They were insisting on some semblance of legitimate value to the big club in return.

I think it was a wasted use of a draft pick when it would have only cost 30% (1.3m) more to CBO/Regular Buyout PAP once Briere's contract was figured in. While the pick may turn into nothing, it's still a chip that did not need spent by a front office that keeps preaching building through the draft.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I think Sakic and Roy refused to just dump PAP. They were insisting on some semblance of legitimate value to the big club in return.

I think it was a wasted use of a draft pick when it would have only cost 30% (1.3m) more to CBO/Regular Buyout PAP once Briere's contract was figured in. While the pick may turn into nothing, it's still a chip that did not need spent by a front office that keeps preaching building through the draft.

The odds of a 5th ever amounting to anything are incredibly low, and can be easily reacquired if they need to. In their eyes it was well worth getting rid of the last year of that contract.

Building through the draft, doesn't mean you don't use your picks are trade pieces. It just means you have to draft well where you are, and don't trade away too many.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad