I'm never going to play hockey again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
Steelhead16 said:
The other teams coach comes in our locker room after the game and tells us we are the worst team ever to lace up skates.

He said this? To PeeWees?

You became friends with this *******?

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Masao Kishin said:
I know what you guys are saying, but in any case my knees are completely shafted anyway and I'd better just quit before I start needing a wheelchair. The only reason they made me play goal was because I can hardly skate. I just stand there and hope that the puck hits me... no fun. :shakehead

Don't mean that to be harsh, but taking your words at face value, seems like you are looking for a reason to quit.

The coach with the unkind words gives you an easy out, a reason to quit, if you are looking for one. Likewise, if your injuries are that bad, then you have another reason. But aside from getting medical counsel that you must quit for health reasons, it is your choice, totally. No one can stand in your shoes, nor make a decision for you. But make no mistake: If you choose to quit, it's because you want to, not because of any outside influences. Those are just easy distractions, easy excuses.

Not going to judge you or your decision, however, one can tell you this: If words are enough to cause you to quit hockey, then you are going to be doing a lot of quitting in your life. For there will always be people who tell you what you can't do, trying to put you down and telling you how you will fail. Regardless of it's in sports or elsewhere.

Wouldn't want to have that coach on my team. Likewise, wouldn't want a quitter on my team either.

Again, sorry to be somewhat harsh, but perhaps some tough love is in order here.

Just me, but I'd get back on the ice today. And if I "failed" again, I'd hit the ice again and again and again...until I get it "right".

And the high standards that I'd hold myself up to would be my own. Not the words of another.

PS - I'm likely twice your age (if not more) and facing arthroscopic surgery on my right knee in a couple of months. And I'm playing later today and tomorrow night.

It's all up to you. Best of luck. :)

Last edited:

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
Clint said:
He said this? To PeeWees?

You became friends with this *******?

It was a odd story. He married my friends mom and got be the step father to a kid who loved hockey but was terrible at it and didn't get to play much. He got to see life from the other side of the fence. I guess spending countless hours seeing life through the eyes of the kids he used to ignore changed him. I became friends with the new guy. He put the old guy behind him so I did too.

MightyPleky*

Masao Kishin said:
I played a game this morning. I was a goalie.

After the game, the coach came to congratulate me. He said that I have nothing to blame myself for. He said that I made 7 or 8 great saves and let in 7 or 8 soft goals, so in total it's 0-0. Everyone was staring at me.

That's it. I'm done.
Your the biggest idiot ever if you stop play hockey for that.
I never could play hockey and I will never play hockey in my life but its the thing I most like in the life. Dont stop for that, its the most beautiful sport in the world by far

TheLokNesMonster

Sep 11, 2005
St. Paul, Minnesota
Masao Kishin said:
I played a game this morning. I was a goalie.

After the game, the coach came to congratulate me. He said that I have nothing to blame myself for. He said that I made 7 or 8 great saves and let in 7 or 8 soft goals, so in total it's 0-0. Everyone was staring at me.

That's it. I'm done.

I'm reading this over and over and still don't see anything wrong with what your coach said. If it bothered you that much then you have some kind of inferiority complex. I'm glad you're not playing goalie on my team.

As I see it you've got two choices.

Put your goalie gear on and get your a$$ back out there.

Or:

Do your team a favor and quit.

GameFace247SON

@NHLonICE
Jun 11, 2005
Philadelphia
www.thenhlonice.com
Metallian said:
Exactly

Did Jose Theodore quit when he let down Montreal with a series of playoff exists? NO

Did Jose Theodore quit after all the scandals surrounding his family came to surface? NO

Did Jose Theodore quit after the Montreal Canadiens drafted a goalie with their 1st draft pick in 2005 as an obvious sign that they planned to replace him? NO

Did Jose Theodore quit after all the trade rumors surfaced that he was being shipping out of town? NO

Did Jose Theodore quit after not being named to the Canadian Olympic team? NO

Did Jose Theodore quit after being blown out in several consecutive games and letting in 18 goals on 63 shots to end the month of January? NO

Did Jose Theodore quit after being accused of using a masking agent to cover up performance enhancing drugs which is commonly found in hair growth pills? NO

Did Jose Theodore...

i nominate this for post of the year! :clap: :biglaugh: :handclap: :yo: :bow:

Joe Cole

Jun 17, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Dude, quit.

If you are so easily upset and unable to rise to a challenge, maybe sports are not the gig for you. Try something that is impossible to fail at.

Magnus Fulgur

Nov 27, 2002
You should quit. Goalies need to be mentally tough. I was an okay goalie in high school but I quit because I knew wasn't focused or tough enough. Instead I did things that I was better at. Now I'm older and I play rec league as a forward and I love it. I'm sure there are plenty of things you can do well, but if you're going to come whining to the Hockey's Future board about your troubles as a goalie, then you have no future as a goalie, and I have zero sympathy for you. What your coach said was fine.

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
Masao Kishin said:
I know what you guys are saying, but in any case my knees are completely shafted anyway and I'd better just quit before I start needing a wheelchair. The only reason they made me play goal was because I can hardly skate. I just stand there and hope that the puck hits me... no fun. :shakehead

This sounds like the reason Lou Gehrig decided to hang them up. His teammates would start congratulating him when he made routine plays. Of course, Gehrig would be dead within a couple of years.

The question you have to ask is, why are you playing? If it's for fun and you're no longer having any, then do something else. Hockey isn't the only thing in this world.

Magnus Fulgur

Nov 27, 2002
YOU CAN'T SKATE??? And your knees are shafted???

Wow, that's like saying
"I'm an accountant, but I can't add"
"I'm a blind cameraman"
"I'm a wine taster...I have no sense of smell"

I know...I can't skate! Maybe I should play hockey!!!

Whatever...what a drama queen. Do something you can do.

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
Metallian said:
Exactly

Did Jose Theodore quit when he let down Montreal with a series of playoff exists? NO

Did Jose Theodore quit after all the scandals surrounding his family came to surface? NO

Did Jose Theodore quit after the Montreal Canadiens drafted a goalie with their 1st draft pick in 2005 as an obvious sign that they planned to replace him? NO

Did Jose Theodore quit after all the trade rumors surfaced that he was being shipping out of town? NO

Did Jose Theodore quit after being blown out in several consecutive games and letting in 18 goals on 63 shots to end the month of January? NO

Did Jose Theodore quit after being accused of using a masking agent to cover up performance enhancing drugs which is commonly found in hair growth pills? NO

Did Jose Theodore...

was it over when the germans bombed pearl harbor? NO!

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
I had a horrible game last week too. Just practice your angles and reflexes for next game and you should do better. And if that doesn't work, blame your defenceman :D

dabid

Feb 6, 2006
HFBoards
I'm just starting to learn to play the game now, trying to come starting goalie by the time I graduate. Everyone is telling me I cant do it, but do I listen. NO!

:(

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
As a goalie, you have to have a short memory. I don't get the feel that the coach was trying to insult or demean you. I think he was making an attempt at trying to perk ya up. I may be wrong. If you don't love playing goal, don't. For the insane part of the population that does wish to play goal (myself included), you just have to go out there every game and get shelled. Don't take it out on your D, just play. Eventually, you'll become a better goalie. Or the season will end. Whichever comes first.

DaveyCrockett

Dec 8, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Metallian said:
Exactly

Did Jose Theodore...

Did Jose Theodore quit after falling down stairs and breaking his heel? NO

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
Metallian said:
Exactly

Did Jose Theodore...
This is a super post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad