I'm never going to play hockey again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
I played a game this morning. I was a goalie.

After the game, the coach came to congratulate me. He said that I have nothing to blame myself for. He said that I made 7 or 8 great saves and let in 7 or 8 soft goals, so in total it's 0-0. Everyone was staring at me.

That's it. I'm done.

RSBPC

Jan 19, 2005
Masao Kishin said:

After the game, the coach came to congratulate me. He said that I have nothing to blame myself for. He said that I made 7 or 8 great saves and let in 7 or 8 soft goals, so in total it's 0-0. Everyone was staring at me.

That's it. I'm done.

Come on, I'm a tender too, one bad game is not a reason to hang 'em up. Review the softies in your head, find out what you did wrong, and work on it next time you're on the ice. If every goalie quit because they had one bad game, there'd be no goalies at all...

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Masao Kishin said:

That's it. I'm done.

Poor excuse for a coach. In 15 years playing hockey I have never heard a coach say something like that, to a goalie no less.

RacerX

Aug 13, 2005
waffledave said:
Poor excuse for a coach. In 15 years playing hockey I have never heard a coach say something like that, to a goalie no less.

I played goalie more than a few times in my younger minor league days and never heard anything close to that. Believe me, I had my share of really bad games.

Don't give up. A bad game is never fun, but as another poster said, you can learn from it. Everyone has a bad game now and then, don't let that or a jackass coach make you give up the game.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I'm never going to play hockey again...

... For the Montreal Canadiens?

I wonder if that's what Tremblay told Roy to make him demand a trade.

dbbourn

Aug 22, 2005
New Jersey
Do not quit. It is obvious you are a goalie because you have the #1 trait all good goaltenders must have... I can't quite explain it, but it borders on irrational and nutty. Exactly what goalies need to decide that they intend on standing in front of that net to block shots.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
What a jackass your coach is, tell hiim at the end of the season "Well coach good job, it was obvious you had no idea how to coach a team but we won you a couple of games by our play and no help from you, now go back to coaching squirts"

Polska

May 25, 2004
Vancouver
Man, this is like a suicide note. Don't do it! You'll bounce back man. I'm sure if you stop playing for a while you're gonna miss it and come back to it. I always do.

Millions Livio

Nov 3, 2005
Dayton, Ohio
Let me tell you this, DO NOT QUIT....

I was seriously injured in my last game, I got checked from behind very badly and the stick hit my tailbone and inverted it..

I couldn't even walk for a month..

I'd kill to play hockey again, but I cannot take the risk, please, do not quit playing this wonderful game just because one bad game, you'll regret it big time..

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I've had my share of bad games and ******* coaches but I've never heard that before.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Sometimes you have to let the A-holes in life motivate you. Your coach is a moron and he insulted you. Consider the source and move on.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Masao Kishin said:

That's it. I'm done.

Suck it up and get ready for the next game.

Sticks of Fury

Apr 25, 2002
Visit site
It is constructive criticism from the coach. He is telling you the truth but don't take it the wrong way. Improve your play and don't let it affect you but take it as a challenge for the next game.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
RSBPC said:
Come on, I'm a tender too, one bad game is not a reason to hang 'em up. Review the softies in your head, find out what you did wrong, and work on it next time you're on the ice. If every goalie quit because they had one bad game, there'd be no goalies at all...

Exactly

Did Jose Theodore quit when he let down Montreal with a series of playoff exists? NO

Did Jose Theodore quit after all the scandals surrounding his family came to surface? NO

Did Jose Theodore quit after the Montreal Canadiens drafted a goalie with their 1st draft pick in 2005 as an obvious sign that they planned to replace him? NO

Did Jose Theodore quit after all the trade rumors surfaced that he was being shipping out of town? NO

Did Jose Theodore quit after not being named to the Canadian Olympic team? NO

Did Jose Theodore quit after being blown out in several consecutive games and letting in 18 goals on 63 shots to end the month of January? NO

Did Jose Theodore quit after being accused of using a masking agent to cover up performance enhancing drugs which is commonly found in hair growth pills? NO

Did Jose Theodore...

DaveyCrockett

Dec 8, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Metallian said:
Exactly

Did Jose Theodore quit when he let down Montreal with a series of playoff exists? NO

Did Jose Theodore quit after all the scandals surrounding his family came to surface? NO

Did Jose Theodore quit after the Montreal Canadiens drafted a goalie with their 1st draft pick in 2005 as an obvious sign that they planned to replace him? NO

Did Jose Theodore quit after all the trade rumors surfaced that he was being shipping out of town? NO

Did Jose Theodore quit after not being named to the Canadian Olympic team? NO

Did Jose Theodore quit after being blown out in several consecutive games and letting in 18 goals on 63 shots to end the month of January? NO

Did Jose Theodore quit after being accused of using a masking agent to cover up performance enhancing drugs which is commonly found in hair growth pills? NO

Did Jose Theodore...
Hilarious post. But yeah, stick with it. One stupid coach shouldn't end your career.

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
I know what you guys are saying, but in any case my knees are completely shafted anyway and I'd better just quit before I start needing a wheelchair. The only reason they made me play goal was because I can hardly skate. I just stand there and hope that the puck hits me... no fun. :shakehead

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Masao Kishin said:
I know what you guys are saying, but in any case my knees are completely shafted anyway and I'd better just quit before I start needing a wheelchair. The only reason they made me play goal was because I can hardly skate. I just stand there and hope that the puck hits me... no fun. :shakehead

You can do one of two things:

You can work on your skating and/or your goal-tending

OR

You can quit.

We can't make the decision for you. It all depends on just how much you want to play the game.

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
There is always someone who had a worse game or a worse experience but things will get better. When I was peewee my team played an All Star team and we lost 35-0 (I kid you not). Shots on goal were 108-2. I played defense and probably blocked another 30 shots by myself. Our team actually won games in our own league and we could actually play a little. The other teams coach comes in our locker room after the game and tells us we are the worst team ever to lace up skates. He is single and has no kids. Here comes the silver lining part. About 8 years later I end up coaching this guys step son (he married the mom of a kid on my peewee team) as a peewee and he has no hockey skill what so ever but a lot of heart. I turned the kid from a bench warmer into a terrific grinder who skated a regular shift. He saw how much that changed the kids whole life and remembered back to when he and I first met and apologized to me 8 years later and we became pretty good friends.
If I would have quit hockey that day, none of that other stuff would have happened nor most of the rest of the great things I have in my life would have happened. I met my wife coaching her brother. We're divorced but I owe my great kids to hockey in a way and my son plays now too and loves it.
Don't quit because of some knucklehead. If you love the game, then just play for that and be happy about that. You never know what it might lead to later.

JeffW

Apr 2, 2005
I'm goalie coach for my sons team and that jackass of a coach you have should be removed from the bench for making a comment like that. I seriously hope he was joking.

I hope you don't quit. When I have a bad game I use it as motivation to work that much harder to improve. Don't let a bad game or a dumb comment from an ignorant coach drag you down. Draw strength from it.

And maybe you could remind the coach that it's his job to instruct you in proper goaltending technique. :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad