Player Discussion Ilya Samsonov [#35] discussion

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Samsonov did his job last night. The Leafs only managed one goal. End of story.
Woll may be the good going forward, but can he stay healthy?
No you go out and get a real number one and keep Woll as cheap back up who can play 25 games and win. If your number one goes down you play Woll. Goal is the most important position come playoffs. Then defense. The Leafs let in one too many easy goals. Swayman kept some hard ones out.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I said before that regardless of what happened in this series that next season I'd let Woll, Hildeby and a vet goalie to take the net. Let our young guys take the reins and see what they can do instead of bringing in someone else. Only way Samsonov should be possibly coming back was if he was spectacular in the playoffs and took this team far. Another person that seems like a good guy that we need to move on from.
That veteran goalie should still end up being a fairly signficant add though since Woll hasn't played all that much (36 GP in the regular season) while Hildeby has yet to play in the NHL at all.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
How do you NOT go after that puck as Samsonov ?

IMG_8318.png

One easy poke check, crisis averted.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
How do you NOT go after that puck as Samsonov ?

View attachment 865312

One easy poke check, crisis averted.
Weird play right. He was probably caught off guard that two of his teammates let Pasta just go without any hinderance. By the time he realized what was happening, I think he froze for a second. Still no excuse. That was a three-man-tag-team f***up for the ages.

Wish he was able to take us all the way. Impressed with his ability to get his head on straight after that looked impossible. Wish him the best. No reason for him to come back.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
That veteran goalie should still end up being a fairly signficant add though since Woll hasn't played all that much (36 GP in the regular season) while Hildeby has yet to play in the NHL at all.
After what happened they can find the money with Samsonov, Bert, Brodie off the books they could sign a Pesche and get a good proven goalie. Woll gives us great backup and emergency Goal but he gets injured way too much to rest your playoffs on. Hildeby is no way ready.

Sammy many not have lost his job bc of game 7, but he lost his job bc of games 1-4.
You cant even entertain him as your number one. 6 and 14 in the playoffs.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Sammy had to earn a shutout for Leafs to win this game. Think about that. He didn't get the shutout so he's a useless loser? WTF???
and we are designed to outscore problems.

except we can't do that in the playoffs.

At the end of the day, Sammy let in his 1 per game softie (weak floater from the point), and Rielly brain farts multiple times here. Sammy brain farts.

Rielly is slow as molasses. Out of position as well.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
After what happened they can find the money with Samsonov, Bert, Brodie off the books they could sign a Pesche and get a good proven goalie. Woll gives us great backup and emergency Goal but he gets injured way too much to rest your playoffs on. Hildeby is no way ready.

You cant even entertain him as your number one. 6 and 14 in the playoffs.
Who's replacing Bertuzzi in this scenario though?

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Who's replacing Bertuzzi in this scenario though?
First Id rather use that money on Defense. In other words I would have traded Bert for Tanev prior to that series. I think Cowan makes the team next year. OHL mvp, 38 games pt scoring streak, keeps getting better into the season. I just dont think Bert brings enough to justify his salary when our defense clearly needs help. Leafs are a winger factory. Cant make defense worth sh&?%t

Reactions: ruaware41

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
First Id rather use that money on Defense. In other words I would have traded Bert for Tanev prior to that series. I think Cowan makes the team next year. OHL mvp, 38 games pt scoring streak, keeps getting better into the season. I just dont think Bert brings enough to justify his salary when our defense clearly needs help.
I thought Bertuzzi was one of our better players in the playoffs but likely wouldn't re-sign him due to the contract he'd figure to command and obtain. I'm hopeful of Cowan making that jump to the NHL as well but we'd have to be realistic about the player who would be replacing Bertuzzi in the top six (not intending to suggest that said player would be Cowan). I absolutely believe a top four defenceman is a must for next season and yet I still can't forget that it was primarily a lack of offence which prematurely ended this playoff run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad