Player Discussion Ilya Samsonov [#35] discussion

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I don't know that a Game 7 victory would have absolutely led to a new contract, but it seems safe to suggest that this ride ends here.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Cya.

the-office-steve-carell.gif

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008

Weak goal by a 3 goal scoring defencemen on the first shot after Toronto scores. Hits Samsonov's arm and goes in.

Samsonov is the king of allowing weak goals right after the Leafs get some momentum.

Exactly. He played a great game overall, and I don't blame him for the game winner, but this was a must-stop goal on a shortside shot that wasn't even well-placed, and he flubbed it as usual.

Weak back-breaking goal by the king of weak goals, after we'd just gotten the lead. I can't help but think if Woll was playing he would have stopped that very stoppable shot and we'd be talking about the next round.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
I don't know that a Game 7 victory would have absolutely led to a new contract, but it seems safe to suggest that this ride ends here.
I said before that regardless of what happened in this series that next season I'd let Woll, Hildeby and a vet goalie to take the net. Let our young guys take the reins and see what they can do instead of bringing in someone else. Only way Samsonov should be possibly coming back was if he was spectacular in the playoffs and took this team far. Another person that seems like a good guy that we need to move on from.

Reactions: Buds17

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Exactly. He played a great game overall, and I don't blame him for the game winner, but this was a must-stop goal on a shortside shot that wasn't even well-placed, and he flubbed it as usual.

Weak back-breaking goal by the king of weak goals, after we'd just gotten the lead. I can't help but think if Woll was playing he would have stopped that very stoppable shot and we'd be talking about the next round.

Keefe bet his job on Samsonov this year and I hope he pays for it. It was inexcusable to start Samsonov every game and not even give Woll a chance until we're down 3-1. Samsonov went 0-4 against Swayman this series.

This graphic after the game was very telling of this series.

yzerman

Apr 23, 2017
Sweden
Often when he make a save it feels like it is 50/50 save or a goal and he is movable like a refrigerator.The chances of he continues with the Maple Leafs must be really low??for me his must be out!!

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Lindholm goal was awful, you can’t let that in. He absolutely killed any momentum we had after the Nylander goal. You knew Boston would come out strong after going down 1-0 and you need your goalie to make the stops he needs to make which Samsonov has constantly shown he can’t do.

Glad we won’t see him in a Leaf’s uniform again. Time to go out and acquire a real 1A. Saros I’m looking at you!

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Lindholm goal was awful, you can’t let that in. He absolutely killed any momentum we had after the Nylander goal. You knew Boston would come out strong after going down 1-0 and you need your goalie to make the stops he needs to make which Samsonov has constantly shown he can’t do.

Glad we won’t see him in a Leaf’s uniform again. Time to go out and acquire a real 1A. Saros I’m looking at you!

The sad part was right after we scored we had another amazing chance where Edmundson tips it and then Swayman makes the save.

Then they come to the other end of the ice and shoot it off Samsonov's glove and into the net. Lindholm, the 3 goal scorer flicks it off his glove.

Look at the replay from the front of the net, it's such a brutal goal. Then people say we can't blame Samsonov for allowing a bad goal because he only allowed 1 bad goal in regulation.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Goalie target?

I think the Leafs need to go for Devon Levi from Buffalo if they’re willing to trade him. He’s been unreal everywhere he’s been including the AHL playoffs right now but he wasn’t that good in Buffalo this year and UPL outplayed him.

If they choose UPL, you got to take your chances.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
he had been weak on both goal

if he attack the puck on pastrnak goal unstead of staying f***ing far in his net, pastrnak would never had any space to cut in front of the net and he wouldn't score

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

tuckerintensity

armed with will and determination
Jul 16, 2022
Thought he played a real solid game especially when the Leafs were outplayed badly at the start.

Shame the team can’t score
He was pretty fantastic, really. One in regulation, we gotta be able to score more than one. Even on the goal, terrible coaching decision to throw those guys out there that moment. The whole shift was a bleep show, really.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad