Contract Termination: Ilya Kovalchuk

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Doesn’t he get a big bonus in two days? Gotta imagine it happens after he receives that. Shocked he’s giving up all that money, guess he does have lots in the bank though.

Vancity96

Apr 13, 2014
Ovechkin-Backstrom-Wilson
Vrana-Kuznetsov-Kovalchuk
Hagelin-Eller-Oshie
Leipsic-Dowd-Panik
Hathaway

PP1:
Oshie-Backstrom-Kuznetsov
Ovechkin-Carlson

PP2:
Kovalchuk-Eller-Vrana
Ovechkin-Orlov

Can switch the top 3 RW depending on needs at 5v5, but I think Kovalchuk would fit in perfectly with Washington in a purely offensive role. Depends on what he wants but it must be cheap, although I think that will be the case with nearly all contenders.

Reactions: NinjaKick

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
they have reached their max salary retaining with 3 people havent they or am I getting my rules mixed up?

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
This may have already been asked but can the Kings trade the contract like Toronto did with Marleau's last offseason?

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
I think he'd still be an asset to any good team that lacks scoring wingers and can keep him motivated. Also can not rely on him to be anything other then 2nd/3rd line sniper. He's not what he used to be by any means but I think he can still be effective in the right situation.

Reactions: abo9

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Doesn’t he get a big bonus in two days? Gotta imagine it happens after he receives that. Shocked he’s giving up all that money, guess he does have lots in the bank though.
does he tho , he just seems to do what he wants the kings couldnt have been fun to play for

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Sharks retirement facility is definitely interested, we can pay 1M per, gett'er done.

Marleau -- Thornton -- Kovy

Great line 2009
WTF line 2019
that would prob work not bad as a third line tbh , they are all set to retire but they can all somewhat play and thornton with 2 shooters even if they are all way too old is still a good line .

not a first line anymore

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
Kovy still has some talent but he doesn’t produce enough to cancel out his deficiencies. Thought he would be a better addition with a boost to the PP but his tenor in LA is a bust. Sad to say LA is better without him. Seems like a cool dude tho.

Reactions: Guitpik and hmc1987

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
that would prob work not bad as a third line tbh , they are all set to retire but they can all somewhat play and thornton with 2 shooters even if they are all way too old is still a good line .

not a first line anymore

This is the Sharks we're talking about, it's definitely our first line :sarcasm: But yeah, I do think we could roll the retro line as a 3rd and it would be fine. Marleau is still really effective honestly.

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009
This is the Sharks we're talking about, it's definitely our first line :sarcasm: But yeah, I do think we could roll the retro line as a 3rd and it would be fine. Marleau is still really effective honestly.

how are Kovy’s wheels? Marleau can still scoot and if he has speed still could be somewhat interesting having both as wingers for Jumbo. Not like we have much to lose.

Reactions: hmc1987

Rivet52

Oct 10, 2008
Buffalo, NY
This may have already been asked but can the Kings trade the contract like Toronto did with Marleau's last offseason?

They could try but he has an NMC, which gives him full control of his destination. I'm sure they tried shopping him around and no one has interest, at least under his current contract. I assume that last year is scaring teams off if that's the case. For one year, I'm sure some team would take a chance on him but given the situation, that isn't plausible. Now since he becomes a UFA after this happens, he gets to sign a new contract and a new team can get him on a one-year contract at a more reasonable price.

He can't be happy that he's not playing and we don't know what happened behind closed doors. I'm guessing he is willing to leave money on the table to get out of that situation and, if it is true he wants to stay in the NHL, it seems that he is also willing to sacrifice it to have a shot at winning this year. Washington immediately came to mind to me as a fit. He knows Ovechkin and Kuznetsov among others from international play and the Caps are as good as anyone right now.

It's interesting he still would stay on the books even with a mutual termination. I was always under the impression that despite the 35+ contract, it would be wiped if they went that route but I guess not.

Reactions: Mike Jones

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
how are Kovy’s wheels? Marleau can still scoot and if he has speed still could be somewhat interesting having both as wingers for Jumbo. Not like we have much to lose.
His wheels are probably OK but unfortunately he has to wear skates......

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
la's record with Kovy is a lot worse then without

Pretty flawed argument. There are many instances of a player being out of the lineup and the team somehow getting better, even if that player is a star.

Pens are 8-4-3 since Crosby went down. Should they waive him?

I remember the same kind of stat where the Canucks got better with Edler our a year or so ago, but it’s just simply absurd to actually believe that to be the case.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
I’m confused why he isn’t being dealt for another struggling player with a similar cap hit or being dealt for pennies on the dollar with heavy retention. If LA is still on the hook for his cap hit then something is fishy. The Kings are bad enough that I’d think someone would take a chance.

Its a mutual termination, meaning both parties (Kovalchuk and the Kings) have decided to void the contract. Kovalchuk no longer has an obligation to play for the Kings and the Kings no longer have an obligation to pay him. LA saves the remaining ~$4.5 Million in actual cash they would have paid him over the next year and a half and Kovalchuk is able to return to the KHL and sign a new contract to get paid to play for another team.

However, this contract was signed when Kovalchuk was over the age of 35. This means that even though LA won't be paying him any actual money, they will still be penalized by having the full $6.25 Million cap hit this year and next year. LA is ok with this, because they are well below the cap ceiling and likely will be next year as well.

The reason they don't do what you suggested, swap struggling player for struggling player, bad contract for bad contract, is that they would still have to actually pay that player and therefore wouldn't get the $4.5 million in actual cash savings.

Reactions: hmc1987

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Pretty flawed argument. There are many instances of a player being out of the lineup and the team somehow getting better, even if that player is a star.

Pens are 8-4-3 since Crosby went down. Should they waive him?

I remember the same kind of stat where the Canucks got better with Edler our a year or so ago, but it’s just simply absurd to actually believe that to be the case.

I actually watch every kings game where as ur taking the results and trying to compare it to other examples . Try watching the kings play and tell me this team isnt better now then when they had him playing. The results prove the eye test in this case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad