Contract Termination: Ilya Kovalchuk

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I think he has this season and 1 more on his King's contract.
Does LA carry his $4m per cap hit, until the end of the 2020-2021 season?

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
How bad was he that LA didn't want him on the team even though he was putting up 0.5 points/game?

Reactions: Morrison

RyGuy

Mar 24, 2013
Medford, NJ
There may be more to this than meets the eye, but Kovy is still a PP threat and his shot is still lethal. He was able to play a decent 2-way game with NJ, back when we actually had a system. This guy can still help a team offensively. LA has been a joke the last few years, and he was never utilized properly. I hope he finds a better fit.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Nobody saw this coming!

tenor.gif

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Wonder if Kovalchuk would have made more money if he stayed in Jersey.

Anyone know what he made in the KHL and LA vs what he would have made in NJ if he stayed?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
F
I'm tempted to see him on Krecji's wing but I also know he will most likely be terrible and not worth it.

For damm cheap why not give it a shot?

Some of the options are terrible right now.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
la's record with Kovy is a lot worse then without
I only saw one game of him, against the Habs. I had commented how it was "sad", as I watched him in Atlanta, how creative he was... and to see him at this point, it just felt weird. The NHL is the best league in the world and Kovalchuk can't be the integral piece of a team unless he is placed in a specific role with limited time. Otherwise, he already has a place in the KHL waiting.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Well they were already paying him while not playing him, so this isn't totally out of the blue.

I want to know how this happens without it being considered a buy-out. Anyone know why this can be called "termination" instead? Is it because Kovalchuk is agreeing to it?

Either way, I think he's done in the NHL. Sad, because I loved this guy's game when he was with the Thrashers. He was the best player in the league after the three headed monster of Sid/Malkin/Ovie.

Reactions: captainpaxil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad