Confirmed with Link: Ilya Kovalchuk to Capitals for 2020 3rd round pick

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
13 20 77 is the better line by far. Backstrom then wont be getting 3rd line mins. It's like you see Kovalchuk as a Conn Smythe candidate as opposed to a role player
Where did I say it?

I see 13-20-77 as a Conn Smythe line who will be a pain in the ass for every opponent. Nothing more, nothing less.

And then 62-19-17 should be a good fit. 19 knows what to do with 17, can't say the same about Eller yet.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Where did I say it?

I see 13-20-77 as a Conn Smythe line who will be a pain in the ass for every opponent. Nothing more, nothing less.

And then 62-19-17 should be a good fit. 19 knows what to do with 17, can't say the same about Eller yet.

Leave it to me to overreach. Conn Smythe was poorly done sarcasm. 13 and 77 are top 6 wingers and 62 and 17 aren't. Would you bump 17 up to cover for a slumping 13? Sure. Would you replace either 13 or 77 with 62 under any circumstances? No

Reactions: Portable Mink

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Leave it to me to overreach. Conn Smythe was poorly done sarcasm. 13 and 77 are top 6 wingers and 62 and 17 aren't. Would you bump 17 up to cover for a slumping 13? Sure. Would you replace either 13 or 77 with 62 under any circumstances? No
Its more like bumping Eller up and make it sound like no demotion for Backstrom. I see a fit between 19 and 17.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Its more like bumping Eller up and make it sound like no demotion for Backstrom. I see a fit between 19 and 17.

They aren't going to put Backstrom on the 3rd line. That's part of the problem.
He has been a point per game in every 10 game stretch over the last 31 games. I would suggest he is the team leading scorer in that stretch.

19 is the 1c. 17 is the 3RW. 43 and 77 are team identity makers. I see all kinds of bad from taking toi away from either

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
If they win... Who cares?!

I think he means in this in a really good way, ala passing the Cup to Kovy like Sakic did to Bourque.

giphy.gif

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Kuzy asked what were his thoughts when he suddenly got to know Kovy is a Cap?
Answered he wasnt surprised, only media were.

So they did the homework obviously.

Im now more excited than yesterday.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Max Domi is 24 and 28 goals is his best. Ovechkin was impressed by Fedorov because Fedorov was the standard. Any young and impressionable Caps star(Vrana) already has Ovechkin.

17 may offer real value but not as a leader to a team desperate for leadership

How do you figure he is not a leader?
He was one of 5 alts for the Thrashers and then eventually named Captain where he scored 90 points or so as captain.
He also captained Saint Petersberg and the Western Conference in the all star KHL game and Captained Russia in the world champs in 2015.

There are things that any player can be a leader in. A young player might have a nutrition degree, an old player might know the gym better than anyone whos played hockey, an assistant coach may understand skating dynamics that can help a number of guys on the team.

Kov has a hockey resume as good as anyone and has been as good an offensive player as anyone over the past 20 years. I am not sure why you would call out my post to downplay what impact he can have on the Caps when you simply dont know what he brings behind closed doors.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
They aren't going to put Backstrom on the 3rd line. That's part of the problem.
He has been a point per game in every 10 game stretch over the last 31 games. I would suggest he is the team leading scorer in that stretch.

19 is the 1c. 17 is the 3RW. 43 and 77 are team identity makers. I see all kinds of bad from taking toi away from either
This is what I cant understand. Nicky couldnt forget how to play but by the eye test he's awful this season. From start till this day.

Even if he's 1C I still think Kuzy is a better fit for Ovi because of his speed.

Maybe Im forcing the cart before the horse here. They can really switch Eller and Backstrom later... but Reirden never tried that this year, could be useful to try another option for playoffs (and I remember last season Hags played with Nicky and they had some cohesive game IIRC).

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Btw, Vogel talks about TJ playing on 3rd line.

Reactions: txpd

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Well, for a very long time the Caps have been facing the same puzzle -- how to solve the "motor-deficiency" of guys like Ovi, Backstrom, then Kuzy, at times Vrana, now probably Kovy. Ideally, each of these skilled guys needs a couple of Zubrus/Wilson type players to do the heavy lifting for them, IMO. But in the top-6 or top-9, some of them have to play together -- hence the puzzle. There's no "clean" fit here, everything will be a compromise. Not enough Wilsons, Oshies, Ellers on this team.

I think Raik has a solid idea. Hagelin-Backstrom-Kovy could be a nice compromise/fit, allowing the Caps to run other lines that have worked well before, namely Ovi-Kuz-Wilson, Vrana-Eller-Oshie. Doesn't matter which line is called 1st/2nd/3rd, the ice time could be quite similar.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Kuzy asked what were his thoughts when he suddenly got to know Kovy is a Cap?
Answered he wasnt surprised, only media were.

So they did the homework obviously.

Im now more excited than yesterday.

They ate together (Kovy, Ovie, Orlov, Kuzy, Sammy) in Washington on Saturday for Samsanov's birthday. Kovy then went back to Montreal on Sunday, got traded, and then they all ate together again for sushi yesterday.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Well, for a very long time the Caps have been facing the same puzzle -- how to solve the "motor-deficiency" of guys like Ovi, Backstrom, then Kuzy, at times Vrana, now probably Kovy. Ideally, each of these skilled guys needs a couple of Zubrus/Wilson type players to do the heavy lifting for them, IMO. But in the top-6 or top-9, some of them have to play together -- hence the puzzle. There's no "clean" fit here, everything will be a compromise. Not enough Wilsons, Oshies, Ellers on this team.

I think Raik has a solid idea. Hagelin-Backstrom-Kovy could be a nice compromise/fit, allowing the Caps to run other lines that have worked well before, namely Ovi-Kuz-Wilson, Vrana-Eller-Oshie. Doesn't matter which line is called 1st/2nd/3rd, the ice time could be quite similar.

Reirden also stated earlier today that Kovy is starting on a line with Hags and Eller, but everything is going to be up in the air lineup wise depending on chemistry and production.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...x-ovechkin-reunite-capitals-look-find-rhythm/

Kovalchuk initially will be used on the third line right wing alongside Carl Hagelin and Lars Eller. Richard Panik moved to the fourth line as a left wing, and Brenden Leipsic was pushed out of the lineup as a healthy scratch. That is subject to change, per Capitals Coach Todd Reirden. Right now, it is all about trying to find the right chemistry with the players and new lines.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Reirden also stated earlier today that Kovy is starting on a line with Hags and Eller, but everything is going to be up in the air lineup wise depending on chemistry and production.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...x-ovechkin-reunite-capitals-look-find-rhythm/

Kovalchuk initially will be used on the third line right wing alongside Carl Hagelin and Lars Eller. Richard Panik moved to the fourth line as a left wing, and Brenden Leipsic was pushed out of the lineup as a healthy scratch. That is subject to change, per Capitals Coach Todd Reirden. Right now, it is all about trying to find the right chemistry with the players and new lines.

It makes sense to start him there -- least disruption, least pressure, defensive support to help with adjustment, etc. And if it works offensively, great.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
How do you figure he is not a leader?
He was one of 5 alts for the Thrashers and then eventually named Captain where he scored 90 points or so as captain.
He also captained Saint Petersberg and the Western Conference in the all star KHL game and Captained Russia in the world champs in 2015.

There are things that any player can be a leader in. A young player might have a nutrition degree, an old player might know the gym better than anyone whos played hockey, an assistant coach may understand skating dynamics that can help a number of guys on the team.

Kov has a hockey resume as good as anyone and has been as good an offensive player as anyone over the past 20 years. I am not sure why you would call out my post to downplay what impact he can have on the Caps when you simply dont know what he brings behind closed doors.

Didn't say he wasn't a leader. I said the Caps are not short of leadership. 8. 19. 77. 43. 74. I also was saying this is a veteran cup winning team.

Apparently if they are short on leadership it's on the blue line

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad