Confirmed with Link: Ilya Kovalchuk to Capitals for 2020 3rd round pick

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Thinking more about this, what Ted (Ovi) has built.... there was a time when UFA's gave us the middle finger, and TDL acquisitions left town on the first thing smoking when the season was up.

Now superstars (granted, old fart superstars) actually select us from the list and other GMs accommodate them out of respect for their wishes.

Things sure are different since Ovi came to town.

It's glorious! I remember getting excited over signing a washed up Housley!

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
I actually remember a lot more pining for Carlson to take over from Green on PP1, rather than for Green to retain his spot, because Carlson was a threat to shoot from the point while Green virtually never shot (and had a weaker shot regardless).

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Yeah, I'm warming up more to the fit. Even if Hagelin/Panik-Eller-Kovy is whatever, there's enough defense there to stay afloat... and then the Caps get some insurance for top-6 injuries/troubles, and one of Hagelin/Panik to hopefully inject more juice into the 4th line. Modest win-win, with potential for more serious win.

welcome to the dark side

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I'm sure Kovy said these things and I bet he meant them sincerely. But its also true that every athlete in history has probably said these exact things when asked. I mean, Albert Haynesworth said these exact things about signing with the Redskins, then proceeded to stop playing when he was asked to do something he didn't like doing.

Anyway, not being negative, I like the Kovy trade and I do think he will give us all he has left in the tank, which is all we can ask. He's clearly a 10x more dynamic finisher than Panik and offers no visible deficiencies vs the limited game Panik was bringing to the 3rd line. And bumping Leper out of the lineup is a net win for the 4th line I think.
We are using Fat Albert to make a point about Kovalchuk,,,?!?.....and you are “not being negative”?

Lol..... that gets a @CapitalsCupReality “huge eye roll”

I mean for sure....Haynesworth is often used as a “somewhat medium” experience in DC sports talk. Perhaps even with optimism?

Last edited:

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
How exactly would they tweak it?
Less of the bumper, more of a two trigger look with Kovalchuk low circle and Ovechkin just off the umbrella point? If Carlson has to walk the line rather than the boards Ovechkin rotates to his island and Kovalchuk through the slot to the far post, give them a mix of setting up in the 1-3-1 with Kovalchuk in the bumper and a more old school look where the entire left side of the ice is just a nightmare to defend, give Backstrom and Carlson two huge passing lanes at a time. Force PK’s to play a high box and rotate into the 1-3-1 when the space is there.

just spitballing, but I don’t think it has to be as binary as replacing a cog with Kovalchuk.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
We are using Fat Albert to make a point about Kovalchuk,,,?!?.....and you are “not being negative”?

Lol..... that gets a @CapitalsCupReality “huge eye roll”

I mean for sure....Haynesworth is often used as a “somewhat medium” experience in DC sports talk. Perhaps even with optimism?

Heh, all I'm saying is, it would be pretty unusual for a player to tweet "They better not put me on the f***ing fourth line, and god damnit I better get some prime PP1 shifts, or I'm gonna be pissed" right after he gets traded :D

Reactions: Bananas

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
I’d be pretty interested to see what Kovalchuk thinks about the PP to be honest. The guy has been an offensive star for 20 years, I reckon he’d know a think or two.

When you get a guy like this, you are getting a lot more than just his on ice play. All his coaches, his own instincts and experience, everything he’s seen and done comes to your team and it could be a comment here or there to a player, a thought about the PP or anything.

Orpik changed this team more off the ice than on it. Kovalchuk can change things for the better like that also. The fact Max Domi called him ‘big brother’ is just a tiny indication that he does bring that aspect.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Ilya f*cking Kovalchuk is on the f*cking Caps! It’s still surreal to me. I can’t believe it and can’t wait for tomorrow night. Seeing him in a Caps jersey - teamed up with Ovi - has been a dream of mine for over a decade. Can’t wait to see it.

Yeah I'm pretty excited about it as well. I like both the additions to our team. Going to be really interesting how Dillon progresses and how Kovy plays.

Reactions: Pigskin

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Less of the bumper, more of a two trigger look with Kovalchuk low circle and Ovechkin just off the umbrella point? If Carlson has to walk the line rather than the boards Ovechkin rotates to his island and Kovalchuk through the slot to the far post, give them a mix of setting up in the 1-3-1 with Kovalchuk in the bumper and a more old school look where the entire left side of the ice is just a nightmare to defend, give Backstrom and Carlson two huge passing lanes at a time. Force PK’s to play a high box and rotate into the 1-3-1 when the space is there.

just spitballing, but I don’t think it has to be as binary as replacing a cog with Kovalchuk.

Questions. Kovalchuk on the left wing at the bottom of the circle with Ovechkin high in the zone? You would replace Oshie with Kovalchuk? Do I understand you right?

sk8ersublime

Oct 27, 2009
I remember some poster here being adamant that the Caps should had kept Brooks Laich because of his "character" and "league wide elite PK ability" lol.

Changing a fans tire did that. Everyone loves a "heartfelt" story. haha

They should have let him go when he ripped his groin overseas during the shortened season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad