TSN: Ilya Kovalchuk Staying in KHL for 2017-18 Season

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I don't think he is going to play in the NHL this season. He may try to come back next summer as a UFA.

The fact that NJ still owns his rights and a contract and trade needs to be worked out with a second team involved makes this a much more complicated transaction than I think people realize.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I'll take a 2nd and 3rd for him, since Shero will turn that around into some gold.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I don't think he is going to play in the NHL this season. He may try to come back next summer as a UFA.

The fact that NJ still owns his rights and a contract and trade needs to be worked out with a second team involved makes this a much more complicated transaction than I think people realize.

If he waits a extra year, he falls under the 35+ contract rule, meaning GM's will be very cautious handing out a long term deal... something Kovalchuk probably wants as we speak.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
If he waits a extra year, he falls under the 35+ contract rule, meaning GM's will be very cautious handing out a long term deal... something Kovalchuk probably wants as we speak.

We just saw Toronto give a three year contract to Marleau and Williams received a two year contract. We have also seen longer term deals handed out to 35+ year old players in recent years (i.e., Iginla). I just don't see it as a deterrent.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
We just saw Toronto give a three year contract to Marleau and Williams received a two year contract. We have also seen longer term deals handed out to 35+ year old players in recent years (i.e., Iginla). I just don't see it as a deterrent.

They weren't out of the NHL for 4 years after ****ing thier team over... if he waits another year it would be worse because he could **** the team harder then before.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Gotta make sure to put Toronto's name in there even if they aren't interested for dem clicks.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Gotta make sure to put Toronto's name in there even if they aren't interested for dem clicks.

I think it's more the Lou connection than anything. It's not like Toronto has been linked to any of the big free agents this year except for Marleau (who they signed), Thornton (who it's pretty clear they were in on), and now Kovalchuk.

But okay then

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad