WC: IIHF Worlds TV ratings (Сanada,Russia,Sweden and others)

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
I feel like MTV has kinda killed my interest in the WHC, and if it was on Yle I think more people would watch...I don't have the pay channels, so I can only watch the Finnish games, so I don't get into the WHC feel, when it was on Yle, I'd watch every game that was on...now it's just "meh"...Please Yle, take WHC back!

Email sent on topic.

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
Bet if they put it on pro7 maxx and made it a show with twitter posts and stuff during the intermissions like they did it with the NFL it would be a whole lot more popular. It kinda gave the NFL broadcasting a comedy/event character seeing the fan tweets and stuff.

Isn't pro7maxx in even less households than Sport1? Did the NFL actually have good ratings? Outside the Super Bowl, which I am guessing was on SAT1 as always?

The World Championship is doing really well though by all accounts. It is at triple the average audience of Sport1 and performing up to expectations.

PenDuhNotPittsburgh

May 13, 2017
Krefeld
Isn't pro7maxx in even less households than Sport1? Did the NFL actually have good ratings? Outside the Super Bowl, which I am guessing was on SAT1 as always?

The World Championship is doing really well though by all accounts. It is at triple the average audience of Sport1 and performing up to expectations.

https://www.dwdl.de/zahlenzentrale/59534/nflplayoffs_locken_viele_fans_zu_prosieben_maxx/

500k doesn't seem to high but for a country that didn't have anything to do with the game so far it's actually a lot. What I get from it is how you set the show up

GX

Dec 28, 2011
Latvian numbers will probably be only released in early June.

Last year there were 100-160 thousand viewers average and a 20-35% share.

IDiO

May 6, 2017
This seems hard to believe...I think they're counting the same people multiple times (i.e. if you say watched 10 WC games you're counted as 10 people, not 1 person)

Based on 1,200,000,000 people watching a 16 day event, that's 75 million people a day watching - to me these numbers being posted don't seem like they're likely to add up to 75 million per day worldwide

You're forgetting Russia. I don't have any information on this year's ratings, but for example the 2005 final was watched by 34 million people. #1 sporting event and #2 overall (after the Victory Day anniversary parade). Semi-final wasn't far behind with 29 million.

This year's semi is bound to get at least as much...

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
You're forgetting Russia. I don't have any information on this year's ratings, but for example the 2005 final was watched by 34 million people. #1 sporting event and #2 overall (after the Victory Day anniversary parade). Semi-final wasn't far behind with 29 million.

I'm also pretty sure that total figure includes everyone who watched just one second of any replay, stream or highlights package. Basically the best figure possible to entice sponsors to realize the value of the product. (and yes, the tournament is a huge cash cow for IIHF)

FIBA has a similar figure for its World Champs, and FIFA had over 3 billion last time.

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015

You're pointing to the numbers for a final doesn't convince me of a 75 million a day average (to get that average per day, off days like today result in the avaerage for the next day having to be 150 million viewers....seems to me Russia would have to have "final numbers" every single day, including days when there were no games! HaHa)

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
This seems hard to believe...I think they're counting the same people multiple times (i.e. if you say watched 10 WC games you're counted as 10 people, not 1 person)

Based on 1,200,000,000 people watching a 16 day event, that's 75 million people a day watching - to me these numbers being posted don't seem like they're likely to add up to 75 million per day worldwide

Well of course do they count each viewing by the same person as a different person each time, that's how these things work, how are they supposed to know who the people who are watching are?

The numbers that take the event as a whole always seem a bit large. Take the Super Bowl, it seems very doubtful that billions of people watch that, when even the USA "only" gets to 100m viewers. Even taking other means into account, the interest in this event isn't that large around the world. Not to mention that availability should pretty much prevent that many people from actually watching it on average.

Finnished

Jan 31, 2013
Latvian numbers will probably be only released in early June.

Last year there were 100-160 thousand viewers average and a 20-35% share.

thats not a lot when half of Finland seems to watch the Finland games and I thought Latvians are very enthusiastic but seems like 10% of their fans have gone to watch it live :D

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I'm curious to see what the numbers in Canada will look like because the Ottawa game was on at the same time. With Ottawa losing so badly I'm guessing a lot of fans changed the channel to the Canada v Sweden game instead.

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
Well of course do they count each viewing by the same person as a different person each time, that's how these things work, how are they supposed to know who the people who are watching are?
That's not how things typically work in NA when they talk about TV ratings

The numbers that take the event as a whole always seem a bit large. Take the Super Bowl, it seems very doubtful that billions of people watch that, when even the USA "only" gets to 100m viewers. Even taking other means into account, the interest in this event isn't that large around the world. Not to mention that availability should pretty much prevent that many people from actually watching it on average.
I'm not sure why you're saying what you're saying here.....no one says the Super Bowl gets billions of viewers; I've never seen/heard that said (but I've heard it said about the World Cup)

Here's an example, an article noting the 2014 Super Bowl viewership worldwide as about 160 million http://www.ibtimes.com/how-many-countries-will-watch-super-bowl-1799734

I think quite clearly the numbers are being exaggerated to try and make it seem far more people are interested than actually are and the same thing is regularly done with Olympic numbers too; in NA the common practice is actual individual viewers (not counting the same person multiple times in a day when looking at "daily" numbers)

Tuoppi

Sep 9, 2016
Pori
Is there a point playing the final game at the same time with Stanley cup playoff game, Euroleague basketball final and final round of European soccer leagues? WCH is the smaller event so it has to adjust. I watched but then again I'm Finnish. Not much happening next sunday. They could start the WCH a week later. Would also be better for players coming from the NHL and European league finals.

Last edited:

GX

Dec 28, 2011
thats not a lot when half of Finland seems to watch the Finland games and I thought Latvians are very enthusiastic but seems like 10% of their fans have gone to watch it live :D

Yup, 20-35% share is not a lot. Truthfully, though, there was little excitement for last year's WC. I hope to see a nearly 50% share for LAT-USA, LAT-RUS and especially LAT-GER this year.

Latvian fans have indeed changed - prior to the KHL, I think many believed that the WC is a best-on-best tournament and most certainly the highest quality ice hockey available to the fans on TV. The NT exhibition games in Riga were always sold-out - now they have hard time filling the first floor of Arena Riga.

Also, Latvians tend to watch ice hockey in groups - with friends at home, in pubs or bars. A 20-35% TV rating share would probably mean a 30-45% share of Latvian people watching.

Spender

Feb 16, 2013
Växjö
2 million in Sweden for the final on TV4. Should be some streamers and cable viewers through Cmore as well.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
Final week in Finland

Sweden - Finland (Semi-final) avaraged 1,31m
USA - Finland (Quarter-final) avaraged 1,225m
Canada - Finland (group stage) avaraged 1,111m
Russia - Finland (bronze game) avaraged 1,067m

Canada - Sweden
(gold medal game) avaraged 750k
Canada - Russia (semi-final) avaraged 471k

Ad