TomB

Jul 20, 2016
Tournament starts tomorrow:

Participants:

Indonesia
Kuwait
Malaysia
Mongolia

Winner is promoted to Division IIIB; trading places with D3B last place Iran from earlier this year.

Kuwait has new imports. Mongolia has a new imported giant of a defenseman. My guess is that Mongolia promotes - but it will depend on whether or not the Kuwaiti imports can carry them through. I don't think either of Malaysia or Indonesia has any prayer of promotion.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Gendunov is Buryat, so basically Russian Mongol. I think he's serious about committing to Mongolia. Definitely going to be rooting for that team, was such a near miss at home last year.

Reactions: mattihp

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
If you watch the Mongol league page on eliteprospects you have some other Russians which could be eglible next year (I don't know how the handle passports, tough) which played VHL and MHL which should be easy enough to handle Div3B or even Div3A

TomB

Jul 20, 2016
Today's matches:

Mongolia beat Indonesia 9-3. Indonesia had only 4 shots on goal.

Kuwait beat Malaysia 15-1. Kuwaiti (and former Serbian NT player) Bojan Zidarevic had 11 points.

I'm far less confident in my initial prediction now. Kuwait will probably take this; especially if the Mongolian goaltending is that poor.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Kuwait beat Malaysia 15-1. Kuwaiti (and former Serbian NT player) Bojan Zidarevic had 11 points.
Yeah, this is why anything below 2A tier is bit farcical, team who attracts a more and/or better import/diaspora players just crush their opposition.

JimXVX

Jan 3, 2017
Blimey I’d love to see the highlights of these games. Those save percentages are absolutely brutal!

TomB

Jul 20, 2016
Indonesia beats Malaysia 7-6 in overtime.

Mongolia up on Kuwait 3-1 after two periods. Kuwait has one shot on goal. I'm wondering whether or not the Mongolians rested their better players when they played Indonesia.

Edit: It also looks like one of the Kuwaiti players received a fighting major. Not every day that you see that in international play.

TomB

Jul 20, 2016
And now things have really gotten wild. At the 7:19 mark of the third:

3 Mongolians kicked out for fighting.
4 Kuwaitis kicked out for fighting (1 of whom received a minor for leaving the bench)
Mongolian goalie tossed out for kicking.
Kuwaiti player tossed for charging.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006

4 Kuwaitis kicked out for fighting (1 of whom received a minor for leaving the bench)
That is insane

TomB

Jul 20, 2016

Small correction: The Kuwaiti who got tossed for charging was the same guy who left the bench and had one of the fights. Guy finished the game with 76 PIM.

Also in this game (separate from this):

Kuwaiti player tossed for fighting.
Mongolian tossed for a check from behind.
Mongolian tossed for slashing.

I'm not sure what was going on in this game.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
If there's no additional discipline Mongolia has thus secured their promotion. Gendunov the giant defenseman has been their star forward by the way.

TomB

Jul 20, 2016
Mongolia wins promotion with a 14-2 win over Malaysia.

Kuwait takes second place with a very back-and-forth 8-7 win over Indonesia.

It seems like the only players suspended after yesterday's mayhem were two of the Kuwaiti players.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The lame thing about this tournament as there's no relegation is that there may be nothing left to play for after two games like happened this time. Although I guess they hand out silver and bronze medals, but even so.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
The lame thing about this tournament as there's no relegation is that there may be nothing left to play for after two games like happened this time. Although I guess they hand out silver and bronze medals, but even so.
Div 4 is pretty new.. I'm sure there will be more teams joining as time goes on. Be hilarious to see Russia and Belarus join back up here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad