IIHF WOMANS UNDER 18 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
My point still stands as Bedard 5 on 5 has excellent stats and lacks the PP advantage that other all time generational prospects had.

Does he?

1704994873829.png

He's 9th among rookies with >10gp in 5v5 p/60 at 2.32, and his possession metrics are really unimpressive.

Nela had a bit of a disappointing tournament given expectations and if it's a team thing then the irony is that Bedard is very much in the same situation.
Being on a bad team can certainly be a detriment, but it's an order of magnitude difference. Slovakia's schedule was much tougher this year, but Nela was the huge in their only win this year. The whole team only scored 5 goals.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018

I didn't watch it. Far from an expert but a Quarter final win is alwasy great! Sounds like we were very evenly matched and that we will be playing Finland for Bronze after both our nations take as hit kicking.lol

Finland beat us in round robin and, I've always maintained, that it is very hard to beat an opponent twice in the same tournament. So maybe we have a slight edge due to losing? Sounds crazy but I see it all the time at the Men's tourneys.

Reactions: czechcanadian

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Does he?

View attachment 800846

He's 9th among rookies with >10gp in 5v5 p/60 at 2.32, and his possession metrics are really unimpressive.
Seriously you had to use p/60 to make your point here?

I bet if the Black Hawks were playing him sheltered opportune MPG and he was one of the leaders in p/60 your argument would be not enough of a sample size right?

Also the eye test showed that Bedard was creating chances out of his ying yang and sure his last 3 games weren't great as the stars big grinding team is a bad matchup for him at this stage of his development.

Being on a bad team can certainly be a detriment, but it's an order of magnitude difference. Slovakia's schedule was much tougher this year, but Nela was the huge in their only win this year. The whole team only scored 5 goals.
What you say is true but woman's hockey is still developing and isn't as structured mature as the NHL and Nela doesn't have the physical disadvantage that Bedard did and it was a disappointing tournament for her given the expectations.

Last edited:

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
My point still stands as Bedard 5 on 5 has excellent stats and lacks the PP advantage that other all time generational prospects had.

Nela had a bit of a disappointing tournament given expectations and if it's a team thing then the irony is that Bedard is very much in the same situation.

It will still be fascinating to watch Nela, Chloe and other young female stars emerge.
These two players specifically have been mentioned as having otherworldly talent compared to their peers, with one having been drafted by a WHL club (PR stunt or no) and folks suggesting she could go play in the BCHL or something. Luposanova (gonna get the spelling right eventually) should be able to break through to some extent on her own if she's that much better than her peers. Perhaps she did, but absent anything other than goal highlights from the games, it's pretty hard to know. It's another reason I would have liked to see her play against Canada: I could have actually seen her play.

It is ultimately a team game and well-coached teams can shut down stars without relatively comparable linemates, at least most of the time. But high-end talent should break through even in those circumstances. That's ultimately why I would have liked to see these two players go head to head,

Reactions: wetcoast

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Seriously you had to use p/60 to make your point here?

I bet if the Black Hawks were playing him sheltered opportune MPG and he was one of thee alders in p/60 your argument would be not enough of a sample size right?

Also the eye test showed that Bedard was creating chances out of his ying yang and sure his last 3 games weren't great as the stars big grinding team is a bad matchup for him at this stage of his development.

What you say is true but woman's hockey is still developing and isn't as structured mature as the NHL and Nela doesn't have the physical disadvantage that Bedard did and it was a disappointing tournament for her given the expectations.
McDavid was 2nd in the league in 5v5 p/60 as a rookie, it's hardly a fringe metric. He would have finished 2nd in total 5v5 points with 53 had he played the whole season (based on his 5v5 ppg). Crosby finished 7th in ES points during his rookie season.

Bedard is currently tied 46th in 5v5 points. He has 1 more 5v5 point that Fantilli and Rossi. Consider that McDavid was only 6 points shy of finishing 46th in 5v5 points in his rookie year despite only playing 45 games. Bedard's production has clearly not been generational.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Alright.. saw the highlights! Our goals were nice. No idea about gameplay though.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Alright.. saw the highlights! Our goals were nice. No idea about gameplay though.
You're in the wrong thread. We're arguing about Connor McDavid and Connor Bedard and maybe Connor McMichael and at this point, possibly Roseanne Conner.

But if we have to talk about the thing this thread is about, I hope Canada plays Czechia in the semifinal because revenge is a dish best served on ice.

• Haha
Reactions: Czechboy

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London

I didn't watch it. Far from an expert but a Quarter final win is alwasy great! Sounds like we were very evenly matched and that we will be playing Finland for Bronze after both our nations take as hit kicking.lol

Finland beat us in round robin and, I've always maintained, that it is very hard to beat an opponent twice in the same tournament. So maybe we have a slight edge due to losing? Sounds crazy but I see it all the time at the Men's tourneys.

Wouldn't say it's crazy at all Czechia was the better team in the round robin but Finland had the better goalie and Czechia screwed up giving that rush up shorthanded. Comedy of errors leading to that loss. Being able to close out Sweden who have become quite the team at the U18 level shows Czechia is not to be discounted. As a Canadian fan I'd rather be playing Finland. Despite the score Czechia did well 5v5 and drew a bunch of penalties. If Czechs get the lead and force Canada to take a bunch of penalties again...could see a rerun of CAN/FIN in 2023.

The loss to Finland really screwed Czechia. If they won that game they'd get the US who have looked good but not dominant. The US and Czechia played a pre-tournament game that the Czech's won in a shootout and didn't need their goalie making +50 saves either. Czechs should be threatening a vulnerable-ish US team to repeat what Sweden did to them last year but they forgot how to play hockey for 1 minute and it cost them a better match-up.

You're in the wrong thread. We're arguing about Connor McDavid and Connor Bedard and maybe Connor McMichael and at this point, possibly Roseanne Conner.

But if we have to talk about the thing this thread is about, I hope Canada plays Czechia in the semifinal because revenge is a dish best served on ice.

Canada is playing Czechia.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Wouldn't say it's crazy at all Czechia was the better team in the round robin but Finland had the better goalie and Czechia screwed up giving that rush up shorthanded. Comedy of errors leading to that loss. Being able to close out Sweden who have become quite the team at the U18 level shows Czechia is not to be discounted. As a Canadian fan I'd rather be playing Finland. Despite the score Czechia did well 5v5 and drew a bunch of penalties. If Czechs get the lead and force Canada to take a bunch of penalties again...could see a rerun of CAN/FIN in 2023.

The loss to Finland really screwed Czechia. If they won that game they'd get the US who have looked good but not dominant. The US and Czechia played a pre-tournament game that the Czech's won in a shootout and didn't need their goalie making +50 saves either. Czechs should be threatening a vulnerable-ish US team to repeat what Sweden did to them last year but they forgot how to play hockey for 1 minute and it cost them a better match-up.

Canada is playing Czechia.
Thanks for the insight... My only hope was that we are consistently in bronze talk. I'm under no illusion when it comes to US and Canada. The exhibition game was very encouraging for sure but I think the US would've taken it to us. Sounds like Canada will beat us by even more.lol.

I am 'just happy to be here' but am encouraged by our improvements. At the senior level, we were in that B pool forever and always had a showdown with someone to avoid Canada or US. Drove me nuts because I felt we could've competed with the 3, 4 and 5 nations in pool A bit never faced them. Now we have faced them, beaten them occasionally and moved out of the death cycle.lol

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Thanks for the insight... My only hope was that we are consistently in bronze talk. I'm under no illusion when it comes to US and Canada. The exhibition game was very encouraging for sure but I think the US would've taken it to us. Sounds like Canada will beat us by even more.lol.

I am 'just happy to be here' but am encouraged by our improvements. At the senior level, we were in that B pool forever and always had a showdown with someone to avoid Canada or US. Drove me nuts because I felt we could've competed with the 3, 4 and 5 nations in pool A bit never faced them. Now we have faced them, beaten them occasionally and moved out of the death cycle.lol

Should have been in the Bronze Medal Game last year but just couldn't finish off the Fins. I think it's fair to say that Czechia is a top 3 WHKY country now and with Klara Peslarova healthy they're going to beat out Canada or the USA very soon to compete for a Gold Medal. Thankfully only one more year at the senior level with the current Pool A/Pool B situation then it goes to being normal like every other IIHF tournament.

Considering how recently the Czechs have begun to rise on the women's side there's nothing wrong with realistic expectations. Canada and the USA are expected to be in the Gold Medal Game especially with Sweden out and the Czech's facing off against the most dominant team in the tournament. The field is closing in though and it's not going to be a surprise if a few things go right for the Czechs that have them upset Canada. The first half of the round robin game between the two easily could have seen Canada trying to comeback down 2-3 goals instead of being up 3. Adéla Šapovalivová and Tereza Plosová are looking great, while the rest of the team showed they can skate with most of the Canadian roster. This could easily turn into a frustrating game for Canada just like last years semi-final.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Should have been in the Bronze Medal Game last year but just couldn't finish off the Fins. I think it's fair to say that Czechia is a top 3 WHKY country now and with Klara Peslarova healthy they're going to beat out Canada or the USA very soon to compete for a Gold Medal. Thankfully only one more year at the senior level with the current Pool A/Pool B situation then it goes to being normal like every other IIHF tournament.

Considering how recently the Czechs have begun to rise on the women's side there's nothing wrong with realistic expectations. Canada and the USA are expected to be in the Gold Medal Game especially with Sweden out and the Czech's facing off against the most dominant team in the tournament. The field is closing in though and it's not going to be a surprise if a few things go right for the Czechs that have them upset Canada. The first half of the round robin game between the two easily could have seen Canada trying to comeback down 2-3 goals instead of being up 3. Adéla Šapovalivová and Tereza Plosová are looking great, while the rest of the team showed they can skate with most of the Canadian roster. This could easily turn into a frustrating game for Canada just like last years semi-final.
Appreciate the kind words about our tiny (but growing) little program. It is funny because I do think our goalie is the best one in women's hockey and she does give us the old 'puncher's chance'.

The nice thing is that we are doing well at the senior level and U18 level... so hopefully we can sustain and grow.

Having said that.. US vs Canada may be one of the best rivallry in any sport. Just amazing year after year. Their spots as 1-2 are very well earned.

I have had worries that they'll eventually get rid of women's hockey at the Olympics because lack of competittion... so this is great. The battle for Bronze has become amazing. The battle for Gold has always been amazing. Only gripe is that the semi's tend to not be very much fun as there are more blowouts than close games historically.

I've actually thought the Mens tourneys would benefite from a legit Pool A and Pool B. There is a clear divide between the 4th nation and the rest. I'd love to see round robin games between Canucks, US, Finns and Swedes. And, since I love my international hockey... I'd love to see the round robin games between the other nations too! Slovaks, Germans, Swiss and Latvians. Then my Czechs lost somewhere in the middle.lol

Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

FourQuarters

Mar 31, 2022

It will still be fascinating to watch Nela, Chloe and other young female stars emerge.
But the gap between the best and worst teams in the NHL is much smaller than the gap between the best and worst teams in the international tournament, especially the women's international tournament.
Having said that, I admit that Nela fell short of expectations in this tournament (expectations were very high of course), she had a lot of flash, a good shot, a lot of good moves, but her skating was not outstanding, which led to a lot of times she could not cut into the middle, but stopped at ozone and looked for teammates to pass, which required her to have good teammates. This is something Team Slovakia does not have (except for Ema).

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
But the gap between the best and worst teams in the NHL is much smaller than the gap between the best and worst teams in the international tournament, especially the women's international tournament.
I agree with this but will also say that the black Hawks outside of Bedard are historically horrible offensively and the poster I originally quoted should know better but he has his favorites and non favorites like we all do.

that all being said I think both players in question showed less than what they are respectively due to their teams issues.

Having said that, I admit that Nela fell short of expectations in this tournament (expectations were very high of course), she had a lot of flash, a good shot, a lot of good moves, but her skating was not outstanding, which led to a lot of times she could not cut into the middle, but stopped at ozone and looked for teammates to pass, which required her to have good teammates. This is something Team Slovakia does not have (except for Ema).
Agreed.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Appreciate the kind words about our tiny (but growing) little program. It is funny because I do think our goalie is the best one in women's hockey and she does give us the old 'puncher's chance'.

The nice thing is that we are doing well at the senior level and U18 level... so hopefully we can sustain and grow.

Having said that.. US vs Canada may be one of the best rivallry in any sport. Just amazing year after year. Their spots as 1-2 are very well earned.

I have had worries that they'll eventually get rid of women's hockey at the Olympics because lack of competittion... so this is great. The battle for Bronze has become amazing. The battle for Gold has always been amazing. Only gripe is that the semi's tend to not be very much fun as there are more blowouts than close games historically.

I've actually thought the Mens tourneys would benefite from a legit Pool A and Pool B. There is a clear divide between the 4th nation and the rest. I'd love to see round robin games between Canucks, US, Finns and Swedes. And, since I love my international hockey... I'd love to see the round robin games between the other nations too! Slovaks, Germans, Swiss and Latvians. Then my Czechs lost somewhere in the middle.lol

Last years WHC in Brampton when Czechia had to use a NCAA goalie who didn't even start a game that season (played in 3 relief efforts) and still won Bronze, what that showed was how good the Czech women's program had become. They won with one of the most unaccomplished goalies at the tournament which is huge because usually you'd expect the goalie to do the heavy lifting but that didn't happen. The team as a whole was so good they cruised to a Bronze Medal. With Peslarova back in net and Hesova developing, Czechia is a team to be concerned about.

Thankfully we're moving further away from not only the semi-final games not being blowouts but the quarterfinal games actually being somewhat close. WHKY fans are excited to be moving more towards the traditional pool model because if a Pool B team should be a Pool A team it's extremely hard to make into Pool A. The Czechs finished atop Pool B in 2022, their reward was playing perennial Bronze Medalist (and one time Silver Medalist) Finland. Switzerland and Japan got to avoid playing the Czechs who were clearly the better team than those two. Then Czechia in 2023 finishes 3rd in Pool A and their reward is Finland who destroyed Pool B competition. The talent pool in the women's game is growing making the previous Pool format unnecessary.

Production wise she fell short, play wise it was clear how talented she was and how she didn't trust her teammates. I get why the Slovakian HC kept Nela and Tothova apart but they should have been together, just load it up as best you can. Didn't help that in trying to do too much Nela probably hurt her leg and apparently was sick vs Finland too. I did notice the skating not being outstanding like you said and that doesn't help when you need to use your teammates.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
I thought it would be 6 to 2 by now.and I would have been happy with that.lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad