WC: IIHF 2019 Bratislava

amoboko

Waikato Junglist
Jun 24, 2015
Belgium
It would be indeed nice if they would change the groups more often, but sometimes you'll find little gems as this year Lativa and Swiss made it really worth watching their games. Anyway, if somebody is going, let's please catch up :)

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Ah, Finland has good memories from Bratislava :) And it is also one of my favourite cities I have visited. Nice and peaceful, lots of good photo opportunities and great food.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Well, Košice is nice, too, and a lot closer to the High Tatras. Hope you enjoy it! (And you would presumably travel to Bratislava at the latest when/if Finland advances to semifinals, I guess.)

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
... and both were filmed in the Czech Rep while claiming to take place in Slovakia.

The Amsterdam scenes were also filmed in Prague. I have a technician on my team who is named Scott and we traveled to Prague to see Jagr play (Kladno is 20 minutes from Prague). I took him to one of the filming locations and shot some photos. Now every time he makes a mistake at work, we play the song "Scotty Doesn't Know" with a slideshow of the photos of him in Prague haha

Reactions: Sportpsych90

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Just noticed that this tournament is spectacularly late, May 10-26, setting a new record. In 2004 the tournament actually already ended on May 9, before this one even commences.

Hopefully we are going to see a great number of NHL reinforcements.

Reactions: Xokkeu and Faterson

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
So next year I will go to Astana for a week and when I come back drive up and down to Bratislava every day to see some games. Awesome

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Ahmm...Playoff system wasn't introduced until 1992.
Well, being in the Top 8 (well, Finland was usually higher than that most years, but....) each year is a quite close approximation. But I'm not sure how many teams have been in the tournament before 90s. I have a faint memory that it's been 12 teams for quite a while before the current 16 teams system.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
2019 IIHF World Championship - Wikipedia

someone is having fun with the wiki page

Participants[edit]

• 23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png
    Australia*
  • 22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.png
    Brazil*
  • 23px-Flag_of_the_Czech_Republic.svg.png
    Czech Republic*
  • 20px-Flag_of_Denmark.svg.png
    Denmark*
  • 23px-Flag_of_Finland.svg.png
    Finland*
  • 23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png
    France*
  • 23px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png
    Great Britain^
  • 23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png
    Germany*
  • 23px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png
    Italy^
  • 23px-Flag_of_Lithuania.svg.png
    Lithuania*
  • 21px-Flag_of_Norway.svg.png
    Norway*
  • 23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png
    Russia*
  • 23px-Flag_of_Slovakia.svg.png
    Slovakia
  • 23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png
    Sweden*
  • 16px-Flag_of_Switzerland.svg.png
    Switzerland*
  • 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
    United States*
* = Automatic qualifier after a top 14 placement at the 2018 IIHF World Championship
^ = Qualified through winning a promotion at the 2018 IIHF World Championship Division I
† = Qualified as host.

Reactions: Uncle Rotter

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
2019 IIHF World Championship - Wikipedia

someone is having fun with the wiki page

Participants[edit]

* = Automatic qualifier after a top 14 placement at the 2018 IIHF World Championship
^ = Qualified through winning a promotion at the 2018 IIHF World Championship Division I
† = Qualified as host.

Slovak hockey is now officially buried?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Well, being in the Top 8 (well, Finland was usually higher than that most years, but....) each year is a quite close approximation. But I'm not sure how many teams have been in the tournament before 90s. I have a faint memory that it's been 12 teams for quite a while before the current 16 teams system.

It was 8 teams for most years. It wasn't 12 until 1992.

Reactions: torniojaws

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
So here's the deal the IIHF can offer Canada: the NHL will interrupt their precious play-offs for the duration of the tournament, just like all the other hockey leagues from all the other countries on this planet (except NA), so that Canada (and everyone else) can send their best team to compete, and in exchange for that, Canada will be allowed to play in Bratislava instead of in Košice. I believe that's an offer Canada can't refuse.

And Košice ain't no ****hole – I believe it's fully comparable to Halifax where Canada themselves hosted the tournament back in 2008. At any rate, Košice is a lot closer to Slovakia's tourist attractions (High Tatras and others) than Bratislava on the periphery of Slovakia (and, in fact, on the crossroads to Austria and Hungary).

I'm saying that despite living within walking distance of the Bratislava arena where the tourney will be played. But I'm fine with all those great teams playing the preliminary group in Košice. There will still be the decisive play-off games in Bratislava, after all.

Oh, and to our Finnish friend: Finland may well get to play their quarterfinal game in Košice, too (Slovakia is, as an exception, guaranteed to move to Bratislava for a potential play-off game, regardless of its seeding), so the only way Finland can be guaranteed to play in Bratislava next year at all is if they move on to the semifinals. Otherwise, it could be all over in Košice for them. But, as said, that's no big deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad