OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: New Quarter Backs for the Handball team!

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I love the Wilson and Trice rolls of the dice.

Even if they fail, so much better than the Artie Burns reaching for need picks of the past.

Reactions: TNT87

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Only Steelers pick The Athletic didn't value as an A was Payton Wilson, and that was a B.

Still buzzing a little tbh. This was the sort of draft the Ravens or Eagles do that has people going "how do they keep doing it". Or, as it's otherwise known, making no obvious mistakes and getting guys with real upside.

We'll see how it plays out but right now loving the work.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Payton Wilson looks like an f-ing beast. 6’4 233 with a 4.43 40 is bonkers. He looks like a guy who’s going to be a problem for teams that heavily rely on their TE and QB mobility, which honestly how the top 3 teams in the AFC play. Love this pick. Injury concerns seem to be a bit overblown with two years of healthy play under his belt since.

Roman Wilson is fine. I’ll wash my hands. O-H

Last edited:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
This draft is legitimate perfection to me. It'd be nice for them to go up for a corner and really hit all the needs this draft. I'm so unbelievably happy. This line is going to be a top 3 unit in a years time.

Similar to Darnell Washington last year. Medical questions but at this point in the late 3rd, almost 4th round, you have to take a chance on talent. Wilson is a first round, early 2nd round caliber player.

Colbert was a damn good GM, but they held on to him for too long. Khan is the man.

Colbert lives down the street from me. I used to pass his house and reminisce about good years gone by. Now I pass his house and think about how he f***ed this whole operation for 3-5 years.

With the benefit of hindsight had they not gone tackle first the draft would have been a mess.

Khan - Weidle are playing 3-D Chess. Eagles level drafting.

They are operating at a top level in the league right now. Philly, Pittsburgh, and Baltimore. Last 2 drafts, they are the 3 best drafting teams by a long shot, IMO.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Only Steelers pick The Athletic didn't value as an A was Payton Wilson, and that was a B.

Still buzzing a little tbh. This was the sort of draft the Ravens or Eagles do that has people going "how do they keep doing it". Or, as it's otherwise known, making no obvious mistakes and getting guys with real upside.

We'll see how it plays out but right now loving the work.

Speaking of the Ravens, this is the first time in while I’m not seeing everyone of their picks and saying “Of course that guy fell to them”

Which tbh probably means they’ve just drafted 3 hall of famers

Reactions: JTG

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
This draft is legitimate perfection to me. It'd be nice for them to go up for a corner and really hit all the needs this draft.
Ok get KAD and Wingo and call it a day.
Didn't they bring Hart in for a visit? He's still on the board.
Did they show any interest in Stiggers?

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Really feels like Weidl is having major influence in the draft room. To have gone OL-CB-DL-OL-OL in the first two rounds the past two years is absolutely the type of thing Philadelphia did when he was there.

I'm assuming there are still a few veterans they'll add before camp, but the biggest needs right now would seem to be, in order, WR2, slot CB, and they still could use another S and DL (unless they want to give Leal and Loudermilk another year, which, meh). Probably asking too much to expect to fill one of those slots in the 4th round, so I'd presume there will be some FA signings and/or trades still to come.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I cannot get over the sheer joy I am experiencing right now as a Steelers fan and this draft isn't even over. This offensive line is going to be absolutely incredible in a year's time. Give these guys a year to really develop and gel. The rookies are going to burn out towards the end of the season, as there is always that. But 2 seasons from now...this may be the premier unit in the NFL.

The work Khan and Weidl have done is masterful. If they land TJ Tampa today I'll be running around with my shirt off. There are no excuses for this coaching staff. It would be really nice if Art started to migrate out of the front office and Little Dan started becoming more of the figurehead, because man, we may be moving into a new generation of Steelers ball.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
- I don’t listen to the Fan much, but put it on yesterday morning to listen to some draft talk and missed the name of their regular guest when my wife asked me a question.

I believe the former Steelers lineman they had on was Trai Essex and he was raving about Frazier and liked him more than JPJ.

He was hoping that would be their guy in round 2.

So someone who knows way more about line play than most of us loves Frazier.

- I don’t get the concerns some have about R. Wilson playing outside when he’s almost the exact same size as Johnson, with way more speed.

- Rapoport said 22 teams view P. Wilson as such a massive medical risk that they see him as only a one contract guy.

So while it was obvious why he fell, that’s just confirmation why so many teams passed on him.

Last edited:
Reactions: td_ice

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Don’t get to spend a lot of time watching College ball, so very much enjoying this thread and insights/material being shared.

Thanks all.

Side note: love the picks, starting with 2 on OL and some character guys who play tough.

Divas can pound sand. These are goddamn Pittsburgh Steelers, not the Tampa Twinkies.

Here’s to tough ass Steelers football being back.

Cheers

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
A month and a half ago I said...

The perfect draft for me would be to go, without reaching, T, C, and then best available between WR and CB.

So I'm happier than a pig in shit.

Reactions: Peat

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
This was my post from march:

Best case scenario is undoubtably IMO:

Mims
Frazier

Both falling to them.

Then they can take bpa wr/cb/dl in the 3rd

Personally id love if Wilson and Sainistril would fall but they seem to have some helium the last month.

Gotta say im pretty happy. Frazier fell, Wilson fell, just Fautanu instead of Mims which seems even better.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Just a few more thoughts on Roman Wilson…

The Steelers last two #1s were projected as guys who were undersized who would need to play in the slot in the NFL (AB and DJ).

i wasn’t a DJ fan, because he was a triple S…. slow, selfish and spastic.

But he had no trouble beating press as an undersized receiver playing the x, just like AB did.

Given my doubts about Pickens route running, I won’t be surprised if Wilson becomes their X one day.

Would certainly follow the precedent over the last 15 years in this org.

Reactions: td_ice and Pens1566

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Just a few more thoughts on Roman Wilson…

The Steelers last two #1s were projected as guys who were undersized and projected in the slot (AB and DJ).

i wasn’t a DJ fan, because he was a triple S…. slow, selfish and spastic.

But he had no trouble beating press as an undersized receiver playing the x, just like AB did.

Given my doubts about Pickens route running, I won’t be surprised if Wilson becomes their X one day.

Would certainly follow the precedent over the last 15 years in this org.

Long term i think thats correct. I think they will start with pickens at the X, and wilson in the slot to start as Wilson doesnt have much experience outside.

I still thin theyre going to bring in another WR whether theough trade or a boyd level signing.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
- I don’t listen to the Fan much, but put it on yesterday morning to listen to some draft talk and missed the name of their regular guest when my wife asked me a question.

I believe the former Steelers lineman they had on was Trai Essex and he was raving about Frazier and liked him more than JPJ.

He was hoping that would be their guy in round 2.

So someone who knows way more about line play than most of us loves Frazier.

- I don’t get the concerns some have about R. Wilson playing outside when he’s almost the exact same size as Johnson, with way more speed.

- Rapoport said 22 teams view P. Wilson as such a massive medical risk that they see him as only a one contract guy.

So while it was obvious why he fell, that’s just confirmation why so many teams passed on him.
Steelers definitely have a trend going recently where they’ll take guys with medical concerns…so far it hasn’t worked out for them with Trice and Washington…maybe the third time’s a charm …

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad