OT: II. Tommy G's Steak and Chop House

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sports

Jul 12, 2011
I hate the buns on the McDouble; they're always a weird sort of stale feeling/tasting.
I just pay a bit extra for the normal double cheeseburger unless i'm bulking.
flex.gif

Shout-out to BK burgers. Perennially underrated & lumped in with the other popular chains.
EDIT: To expand, I mean, lrn2crinkle your pickles, McDonalds.
They're weaksauce.
Also, BK's entry-level burgers can have the same staleness on their bottom buns, but I can just drown it out with toppings. Can't really do it with the McDouble.

Last edited:

Brand New Stars

Shoutout to Scotty P's for a chain burger.

If any of you find yourself in College Station, check out Grub burger or Harvey Washbangers (best bun ever, garbage fries).

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I'll be that guy..Whataburger sucks. Texans love for that place is the most bizarre thing in the world to me considering it's inferior in every way to even places like McDonald's and Jack in the Box.

Their ingredients and employee 'give a **** meter' is lowest in the industry. They must blindfold themselves while putting burgers together with everything thrown on haphazardly and stuff hanging off the side of the burger. They must get a big laugh making everyone wait 10 minutes to get the food. Their meat is overly salty, greasy, yet somehow dry, their veggies are disgusting(and turn into a disgusting gelatinous goo on the hot burger), even their buns are worse than other places who use more 'premium' buns. Pretty much everyone else also puts their food in a box now, but not Whataburger, so when you get home and get your burger out of the bag it's nice and squishy with plenty of veg-goo. MMM mother of Chiasson nothing beats Whataburger..mmkay....

Great ketchup though.

You must have the tastebuds of a schizophrenic geriatric to think the quality of ingredients in MacDo or Jack in the Crack is better than Whataburger. I try not to publicly cream myself over Whataburger because constantly talking it up makes for unrealistic expectations of a fast food burger (case in point - In-N-Out) but Whataburger is solid. Maybe you have the worst ever Whataburger in your hood but what you described is nothing close to what I've experienced.

I will add that it sounds like you have a takeout history rather than dining in...Whataburger turns to ass once it gets bagged up and sent home. The fries taste like microwave salt sticks and the burgers do tend to flatten out; none of that is a problem if you eat it the way it's supposed to be eaten, 30 seconds after it's made sitting in the store.

Culver's is my favorite DFW area chain; has the best everything. Scotty P's is awesome and one of the only places I've been to that actually serves badass fries with vinegar. Their ranch is also amazing.

Seriously guys, McDonalds, Burger King, Jack in the Box...are all some variety of **** you stuff in your face when you're wasted.

StoneColdGMJN

Jul 16, 2013
Marquette
You must have the tastebuds of a schizophrenic geriatric to think the quality of ingredients in MacDo or Jack in the Crack is better than Whataburger. I try not to publicly cream myself over Whataburger because constantly talking it up makes for unrealistic expectations of a fast food burger (case in point - In-N-Out) but Whataburger is solid. Maybe you have the worst ever Whataburger in your hood but what you described is nothing close to what I've experienced.

I will add that it sounds like you have a takeout history rather than dining in...Whataburger turns to ass once it gets bagged up and sent home. The fries taste like microwave salt sticks and the burgers do tend to flatten out; none of that is a problem if you eat it the way it's supposed to be eaten, 30 seconds after it's made sitting in the store.

Culver's is my favorite DFW area chain; has the best everything. Scotty P's is awesome and one of the only places I've been to that actually serves badass fries with vinegar. Their ranch is also amazing.

Seriously guys, McDonalds, Burger King, Jack in the Box...are all some variety of **** you stuff in your face when you're wasted.
Culvers is actually a Wisconsin chain, and living in northern Michigan it is absolutely my favorite fast food place to eat that isn't whataburger. The double butterburger with bacon is top notch.

RastaRockett

Apr 12, 2013
not a mooyah fan, buns are straight up bad IMO. The meat part is tasty

Mooyah and Five Guys are the exact same thing from my experience. I'm not really a fan either... but then again I don't eat burgers very much. Snuffers on Greenville has some good burgers... haven't been in a while though.

Culvers is actually a Wisconsin chain, and living in northern Michigan it is absolutely my favorite fast food place to eat that isn't whataburger. The double butterburger with bacon is top notch.

For a fast food burger I'll take Culvers or In & Out. I never had Culvers until I moved to Indiana but they have amazing burgers.

Scotty P's is solid to... dang I haven't been there in years. I remember when it first opened up in Allen.

RastaRockett

Apr 12, 2013
P. Terry's!!!!!!!

Either that or Torchy's.

PS- Are any of the ATX Stars fans current UT students? I'd love to meet someone else down here that's close.

I've been to all of those places when I visit my friends who go to school there.... good stuff. I had P. Terry's when I went to SXSW last year.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
How could I forget Hopdoddy's? That's the best burger in Texas, IMO. The Terlingua and El Diablo are both amazing.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad

They are better in store but I get fast food if I'm not going to dine in somewhere. If I'm going to dine in I'll go to a good restaurant.

Yes, the ingredients are inferior to McDonald's, BK, Wendy's for example. They use fresh lettuce etc. Whataburger doesn't. I've been to Whataburgers in different parts of the state. Ten plus years ago their food was better and I think they're still living off that.

Also, their non-burger food is subpar if that matters like chicken sandwiches, although I guess they don't have much else. Breakfast is good for fast food though.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
They are better in store but I get fast food if I'm not going to dine in somewhere. If I'm going to dine in I'll go to a good restaurant.

Yes, the ingredients are inferior to McDonald's, BK, Wendy's for example. They use fresh lettuce etc. Whataburger doesn't. I've been to Whataburgers in different parts of the state. Ten plus years ago their food was better and I think they're still living off that.

Also, their non-burger food is subpar if that matters like chicken sandwiches, although I guess they don't have much else. Breakfast is good for fast food though.

Their chicken sandwiches are really bad.

Scotty P's and Twisted Root... those are a step up but come on, they're just burgers. Culver's can be a grease ball sometimes, but I still enjoy going there.

rudiger

I like hockey
Jan 24, 2013
Denton County
If I'm eating a burger, Five Guys is the only chain place I'll go to.

Otherwise, it's Twisted Root, Liberty Burger, L.A. Burger or Hopdoddy.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Culvers is actually a Wisconsin chain...

Yeah, I know Culver's didn't originate in DFW. I meant chains available in DFW.

If I'm on a road trip I'm not interested in sitting down at a "good restaurant" nor do I want my car to smell like grease and salt. This is the perfect scenario for sitting down and eating in the restaurant. To each their own though.

Just agree to disagree here. I'll compare to McDonald's because I don't ever eat BK, but the "fresh lettuce" at McDo tastes like cardboard; it's very rarely the green outer layer rather it seems they specialize in serving the core of iceberg lettuce on every burger/sandwich I've ever had there. The onions at Whataburger taste like they weren't cut last week and stored at room temperature. The pickles at McD are flat out terrible while the ones at Whataboog taste more like something you'd use at a bbq. Jalapenos, W offers them and none of the others do.

Different strokes I guess.

I think I've eaten a chicken sandwich at WhataBURGER once, and you're right, it wasn't good. The only thing other than some variation of burger I eat there is the taquitos, which are pretty damn good. I can't comment on a single other item on the menu as I've never eaten anything else.

In any case, the best burgers aren't found at any chain. The best burgers I've had in my life, and this goes for different cities and states, are the ones sold out of an old building that looks like it was built during the Depression. Mom and Pop burger and pizza shops are the absolute best of both food groups.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Just agree to disagree here. I'll compare to McDonald's because I don't ever eat BK, but the "fresh lettuce" at McDo tastes like cardboard; it's very rarely the green outer layer rather it seems they specialize in serving the core of iceberg lettuce on every burger/sandwich I've ever had there. The onions at Whataburger taste like they weren't cut last week and stored at room temperature. The pickles at McD are flat out terrible while the ones at Whataboog taste more like something you'd use at a bbq. Jalapenos, W offers them and none of the others do.

Opposite experience for me. The lettuce is usually better and green at McD's and BK while not at Whataburger and, say, Sonic. I think outside of maybe the Big Mac they use green leaf or romaine lettuce- same at Wendy's I think. Also their onions seem normal while they use a different type of pickle..maybe kosher (Chiasson damn this is a silly discussion.. :laugh: ). Jalapenos- BK and Sonic offer them.

StoneColdGMJN

Jul 16, 2013
Marquette
My favorite burger comes from an Asian convenience store in Fort Worth south side. Nothing special about it, but somehow it's just the perfect burger.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Opposite experience for me. The lettuce is usually better and green at McD's and BK while not at Whataburger and, say, Sonic. I think outside of maybe the Big Mac they use green leaf or romaine lettuce- same at Wendy's I think. Also their onions seem normal while they use a different type of pickle..maybe kosher (Chiasson damn this is a silly discussion.. :laugh: ). Jalapenos- BK and Sonic offer them.

Hey man, I don't want to live in a world where we can't debate the finer points of life. :laugh:

PS I completely left out Sonic earlier; one of my faves and almost always solid. I'm currently living in a country that doesn't know dick about making burgers and this discussion is killing me. :cry:

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
My favorite burger comes from an Asian convenience store in Fort Worth south side. Nothing special about it, but somehow it's just the perfect burger.

There's a convenience store burger place near me called Wholly Cow Burger, they're damned awesome. Their Paleo burger is badass, it's a burger on 2 portabello mushrooms.

DaStars99

Purdue Alumnus
Feb 6, 2007
Dallas
How could I forget Hopdoddy's? That's the best burger in Texas, IMO. The Terlingua and El Diablo are both amazing.

Hopdoddy's is great but always a line out the door. It doesn't seem to matter what time of day it is or location. The one in Austin on SoCo and the Dallas one at Preston and Loop 12 are both ridiculous.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
Hopdoddy's is great but always a line out the door. It doesn't seem to matter what time of day it is or location. The one in Austin on SoCo and the Dallas one at Preston and Loop 12 are both ridiculous.

I've gone plenty of times at the Anderson Ln location where there wasn't a line out the door. It's gotta be early dinner hours or lunch on weekdays though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad