If Yzerman were drafted today

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I would have him ranked behind McDavid and Crosby, maybe in a tier with Ovie and a little ahead of Draisaitl (yes, I do rank him higher than AM or NMcK).
I don't have Crosby and Ovie in different categories... I think Yzerman is more in their tier. He is really in the 10-19 range acceptably in all historical pools. Try as they might, I have a hard time elevating Crosby (I know the Canadian media will) anywhere above 10. For instance I rank all three of these players behind Lidstrom.

If Crosby had stayed healthy isn't even the best stay healthy argument on Mount Rushmore threatening status of the last couple of generations. That would be Lindros for me. McDavid is the first player since that has really had a shot at Hockey Rushmore for me.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yzerman was ranked the top pick from the OHL in 1982-1983, but generally, his draft year was considered a slight disappointment compared to the year before. Some of that was the Peterborough Petes system holding his numbers and icetime back though. He was ranked first by The Hockey News draft preview and third by NHL Central Scouting (behind Lawton and LaFontaine). The biggest issue with Yzerman (and LaFontaine) was generally considered size and strength, Lawton was bigger and stronger at that age, and American highschoolers had previously entered the league in the early eighties to great success so there was a bit of hype for Lawton.

Those concerns would obviously be obviated in this soft ass league context, and I think Yzerman in today's league would be right behind McDavid. I also think he'd start out the gate faster, the issue with Yzerman in his early years is that he was generally clutched and grabbed to oblivion, and his ascent to superstardom was due to him working on his strength a lot starting in 1986-1987 (the year before he dropped weight to like 160ish, to become even quicker, and yeah, in a league where clutching and grabbing started to become big during the mid eighties, it worked out poorly lol).

Also, Yzerman's major knee injury happened early in his prime, and it did rob him of some of the top end speed he had before, but again, very unlikely that injury occurs today with the way the net moorings are.

Honestly though, it would really be his peer Pat LaFontaine that would benefit so much from today's league, he seemed to have that last bit of top end speed that even pre injury Yzerman at least didn't showcase as much, and he also played a more north to south game which is exactly what the rules and systems allow and encourage in a way they didn't in the eighties and nineties. LaFontaine was fearless and always drove to the net, and today, he'd simply not get rocked as much and could do it like McDavid. Whereas in today's league, I said Yzerman would be just behind McDavid, I think LaFontaine would definitely challenge McDavid for league's best player.

Scouting report on Yzerman in his prime:

View attachment 642398
The one thing I would highlight here that is often lost. Yzerman was a far better two-way forward in his prime even pre-Bowman than most seem to remember. Highlighted in this write up pretty nicely. Yes he became a Selke guy, but he was always a top 15 defensive center, he played hard matchups his entire career. They all did more cherry picking in the 80's, but Yzerman didn't become that more defensive guy overnight, he excelled at it and willed himself to even greater heights.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
My honest thoughts are at worst Yzerman is Crosby level nowadays, but I honestly believe better by a good margin at best. Crosby is great, but Yzerman was much better skill wise in my opinion before injuries took their tole, and eventhen he still had really great seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad