If you were GM...

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Same here, it just made too much sense, until Russell signed...

It made sense....for the Oilers. The Islanders were never going to trade Hamonic for Eberle, that was pure HFOil fantasy talk, was never going to happen unless there was a significant plus coming from the Oilers. In fact, there were rumors that they wouldn't even trade Hamonic for Hall so...

@GreatKeith. It was Reaves+51st for 31st+prospect so it wasn't Reaves for a 1st rounder.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
I mean, Hamonic really hasn't looked thaaaat good for the Flames so far. He will likely improve, and would have been a better return than Strome for sure, but with the presumably added high picks on top of Eberle, that deal would be far from a clear win. I feel it's been romanticized a little around here.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Oh that's much better...

Reaves and a 2nd for a first and a prospect.

They added him to move up 20 spots in the draft to the last pick of the 1st round. It was a poor trade but it wasn't Reaves for a 1st rounder.

Bottom line is that the Oilers weren't getting Hamonic for Eberle so no hindsight needed there.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
It made sense....for the Oilers. The Islanders were never going to trade Hamonic for Eberle, that was pure HFOil fantasy talk, was never going to happen unless there was a significant plus coming from the Oilers. In fact, there were rumors that they wouldn't even trade Hamonic for Hall so...

@GreatKeith. It was Reaves+51st for 31st+prospect so it wasn't Reaves for a 1st rounder.

Well, the Islanders wanted Eberle and wanted to move Hamonic. I don’t think that deal is far fetched. Obviously not a 1 for 1 but the basis of a trade was there.

Either Chiarelli didn’t want Hamonic or the + on the Oilers side was too rich for his blood.

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
Well, the Islanders wanted Eberle and wanted to move Hamonic. I don’t think that deal is far fetched. Obviously not a 1 for 1 but the basis of a trade was there.

Either Chiarelli didn’t want Hamonic or the + on the Oilers side was too rich for his blood.
It was that the value of Eberle was not Hamonic simple as that .If Eberle played better maybe it would have gotten Hamonic

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
I don't know what 4M x 4 and a NMC for Kris Russell means. I thought 4-5M x 1 was reasonable and fair. 4-4.5M x 2 would be a desperate move given the Sekera situation. The first was just next level off your bonkers and it came before the McDavid extension lol

The Russell contract is front loaded we weren’t gonna use the cap this year anyway pretty solid contract

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I would still throw a contract at Iginla. I don't really see what we have to lose, and I still think he can score 12-13 goals from the 3rd/4th line ... which no one else but maybe Letestu is going to at this rate.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
My Patrick Maroon contract talks are on hold/ice. He's been horrendous so far this year.

Maroon is really doing this team a favor playing like **** in a contract year. I guess that's one way to contribute...

Anyway, I still hold that an RNH+ for Green and AA trade is something we very badly need to do. Green's got 8 helpers in just five games; there's no way he doesn't help our powerplay.

Make it ++ to get Nyquist or Tatar as well and you basically fix everything wrong with this club in one move:

Maroon-McDavid-Tatar/Nyquist or AA
Lucic-Draisaitl-Tatar/Nyquist or AA
X-Strome-X
Jokinen-Letestu-Kassian
Khaira Pakarinen

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Green
Russell-Gryba/Benning
Gryba/Benning

Just need a couple of veteran wingers to push Caggiula and Slep to part-time duty and there you have it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad