If you were GM...

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Thought this would be an interesting thread to make, I know some other team's forum has one like this.

Let's go back in time a few months to a week before draft day. As GM of the oilers, what moves would you make/sign free agents up to this day? The moves must be realistic and fair value. To start it off:

(Before Expansion Draft)
1: To Edmonton: Calle Jarnkrok
To Nashville: 2017 2nd, Tyler Benson

Allows the predators to protect James Neal

2. To Edmonton: Calvin DeHaan
To NY: Jordan Eberle

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I would have signed Jagr and traded a pick or depth player for Demers

Maroon-McDavid-Jagr
Lucic-Draisaitl-Yamamoto (then Strome)
Jokinen-RNH-Puljujarvi
Cagguila-Letestu-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Russell-Demers
Nurse-Benning

Aaaah well, those moves were forsure hail marys and pie in the sky ideas. Never would happen

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Gm....do whatever it takes , apparently the asking on Athanasiou is about 2 mill. Get him... Strome to the 4th line, then off this team next season. Dead cap space. Bring up Pulju at the end of October if he's playing well in OKC. Send down Yamamoto, and have a little chat with second year man Benning.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Thought this would be an interesting thread to make, I know some other team's forum has one like this.

Let's go back in time a few months to a week before draft day. As GM of the oilers, what moves would you make/sign free agents up to this day? The moves must be realistic and fair value. To start it off:

(Before Expansion Draft)
1: To Edmonton: Calle Jarnkrok
To Nashville: 2017 2nd, Tyler Benson

Allows the predators to protect James Neal

2. To Edmonton: Calvin DeHaan
To NY: Jordan Eberle

Oilers were not getting De Haan--De haan is well liked and they needed to keep him after they knew they were moving harmonic--look at what they got for him and offer the oilers version of it

I have proposed a few trades for Jamrock and in talking with a few of the better posters on the preds board--if given the choice between Jamrock and Neal--they let neal go and if the move Jamrock it would have been for more than what you are offering

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
So now that we protect Jarnkrok we protect him we lose Letestu or Kassian instead? No thanks.

Also 0% chance NYI deal a D man. They already traded Hamonic. They aren't trading half of their top 4 in one offseason.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I donno. Tough to say what you'd do when you don't know who would have ever been available.

The one thing we do know is that a) the Islanders wanted Eberle and b) they wanted to trade away Hamonic to a western Canadian team. It's tough for me to imagine a scenario where a deal couldn't have been worked out with those two as the primary pieces considering what Hamonic ended up going for.

The fact that Hamonic never ended up an Oiler would suggest Chia might not have actually been that interested in him as a player, preferring rather to re-sign Russell and target Strome.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I donno. Tough to say what you'd do when you don't know who would have ever been available.

The one thing we do know is that a) the Islanders wanted Eberle and b) they wanted to trade away Hamonic to a western Canadian team. It's tough for me to imagine a scenario where a deal couldn't have been worked out with those two as the primary pieces considering what Hamonic ended up going for.

The fact that Hamonic never ended up an Oiler would suggest Chia might not have actually been that interested in him as a player, preferring rather to re-sign Russell and target Strome.

When it comes to our d. Healthy. Seekers nurse Benning Larson and klefbom. Personally I do not think we are desperate for a long term d man but a stop gap.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
This season could have been the year to win it all. It was a mistake to trade Eberle. The team does not have enough fast scoring wingers. Jagr could not have been a solution. He is a slow. Defence is leaking too. First thing to do is to contact to Vegas and trade a signed prospect and the pick for a good defenseman with expiring contract the one that can be put into the top4. We will see how far this takes us...

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
I wouldn't have given Russell that bad extension.

I don't know if I would have extended Russell to begin with.

Of the signings Chia has done, that one is by far the worst.

This off season, I would have looked long and hard at getting a RW, or just kept Eberle. I would have moved Eberle for a Hamonic and I was beating that drum since late 2015.

I don't know if I would have traded Demers. He looked bad despite having good underlying numbers.

Reactions: CornKicker

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I wouldn't have given Russell that bad extension.

I don't know if I would have extended Russell to begin with.

Of the signings Chia has done, that one is by far the worst.

This off season, I would have looked long and hard at getting a RW, or just kept Eberle. I would have moved Eberle for a Hamonic and I was beating that drum since late 2015.

I don't know if I would have traded Demers. He looked bad despite having good underlying numbers.
I would of offered Russell a 1 year contract and if he wanted more term, let him walk.

And you think we could of gotten hamonic for eberle? That was never happening

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I don't know what 4M x 4 and a NMC for Kris Russell means. I thought 4-5M x 1 was reasonable and fair. 4-4.5M x 2 would be a desperate move given the Sekera situation. The first was just next level off your bonkers and it came before the McDavid extension lol

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I don't know what 4M x 4 and a NMC for Kris Russell means. I thought 4-5M x 1 was reasonable and fair. 4-4.5M x 2 would be a desperate move given the Sekera situation. The first was just next level off your bonkers and it came before the McDavid extension lol
Not to mention a whole week before free agency.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Might not have signed Russell myself but you couldn't not sign anyone.

If they are struggling at game 20 I'd probably fire Todd too.

They have the pieces to do well...in theory.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
It was? Stauffer refutes it every time its brought up
Maybe not an Eberle-Hamonic swap. But I don't see how Eberle+2 2nds doesn't get us Hamonic. With Hamonic on the team, I could see Chia only signing Russell for a year. Gryba also wouldn't been extended. That plays out perfect

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I was hoping to get Eberle for Hamonic. It was rumoured too.
It was an idea from Edmonton sources. It looked to me that all media suggesting an Eberle/Hamonic deal all used the same two sources. Bagdad Bob and Matthieson. From the NYI perspective Eberle one for one Hamonic wouldnt get the deal done from the NYI perspective. They got a 1st and 2 seconds for him. While some hoped for an Eberle for Hamonic trade--evidence says that was never in the cards

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I was hoping to get Eberle for Hamonic. It was rumoured too.

I agree. A top 4 dman is much harder to get than a winger.
That deal would have made this a better team than Russell at 4M over 4 years and Strome as an Eberle replacement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad