Speculation: If you were a GM (Brady Tkachuk)

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
I feel like if his dad wasn’t a money hungry former nhl player and he didn’t have a nhl star caliber brother influencing him, he would think on his own and be reasonable. Unfortunately he does, and he will listen to his dad, and that will be his downfall. Let’s just hope his dad kieth has enough brains to not Sabotage his sons career. Like someone said above, this is the ONE nhl franchise you don’t I repeat DO NOT pull this move on, you will get burned!

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I'd trade him. He's made it clear (in my eyes) that he doesn't want to be in a Canadian market long term. If you can get the right value for him, you should get a great return.

Reactions: SENStastic
Jul 10, 2003
KW
A marner for b.tkachuk trade makes a lot of sense. Toronto gets a young power forward to compliment the skill guys, Ottawa gets the better player with alot of the money already paid out so melnyuk like that. The problem is dubas. Dubas is not budging from the core 4. He’s too stubborn, much like babcock. And unfortunately for him, dubas stubbornness will be the cause of his demise and be appropriately fired next summer after another disaster ending.

but it’s a trade that could happen once the new gm comes in and has to shake things up.

You're not wrong about a new Leafs gm wanting to make such a trade, but at that point, the Tkachuk situation will likely be resolved and he'll be off the market.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If that offer is insulting to him then I'd offer him a 2 year deal at much lower $ ($4-$4.5 million) and make him earn a $10 million or more payday. If he doesn't and still wants to be paid like he did, then I'd trade his ass.

Sam Pollock

Mar 1, 2013
Calgary
How would you deal with the Brady Tkachuk situation if you were the GM? Apparently, his camp has rejected an 8x8M offer and his agent apparently called it insulting. This player has not put up the stats to warrant even a 7M deal, which is what Landeskog signed for. Do you overpay the guy you want as the captain of your team or do you show him that he’ll have to compromise if he wants to be save some money to build the team around him?

I’d choose the latter. Brady Tkachuk is a good player but cannot carry a line on his own. I reserve those high contracts for players who make the players around them a whole lot better. I’d let him sit for however long he wants. Not like the Sens need him because they’re going to miss the playoffs anyway.

What are your thoughts?
I would be calling the 31 other teams to see if they are interested in him at his current demands (I don't know how much he is looking for right now) and see what is being offered. No sense in losing sleep over this.

If I did trade him, it would be for a young player that is projected for top 6 minutes plus a bit more and most likely to the Western Conference.

Again, how far apart are they in getting a deal done?

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
I think Brady is a good kid. He's getting influenced hard by his family. I'm pretty sure if Dad and Matthew were not in his ear telling him to hold out for more $$$ he would be signed already.

To me this is going 3 year bridge and depending on what happens in the next 2 years he could be traded or extended. One things for certain, Sens need to make good on Norris, Stutzle and Pinto deals

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
He can play with his buddies in Ottawa and get 8mil per year to help turn them into a contender or go to Buffalo and waste a career.

Or….what he should do is tell his agent, his dad and his brother to f*** off and take control of his own life.

THIS. Well said.

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
I think Brady is a good kid. He's getting influenced hard by his family. I'm pretty sure if Dad and Matthew were not in his ear telling him to hold out for more $$$ he would be signed already.

To me this is going 3 year bridge and depending on what happens in the next 2 years he could be traded or extended. One things for certain, Sens need to make good on Norris, Stutzle and Pinto deals

This was reported to be the case a few weeks ago, the Sens had a preliminary agreement with Brady and we were pretty optimistic he'd be signed relatively quickly. Then his brother and father got involved and threw a wrench in and messed everything up. Matthew alluded to as much in a recent interview, apparently they thought he was being too fair and not enough of a Tkachuk, and they just had to get involved and ruin the negotiation process and his good relationship with the team and fanbase. What a pity. He needs to grow a pair and make his own decisions. If he doesn't sober up soon and keeps being a greedy knucklehead, then he can sit out for a year.

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
I think Melnyk is going to make him sit and take a lot less than people think.

Picked the worst owner to try this ploy on. It’s going to backfire on him.

I hate Melnyk, and which he'd just disappear, but this is one decision I wouldn't fault him for.

Reactions: Beville

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
i'd probably try and trade him or if I couldn't find a good deal right now try and get him to sign shorter term and trade him later

or ideally i'd have seen this coming and traded him a year ago

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Pretty sure that qualifying offers are now based on AAV, so back loading the contract does nothing for him.
i dont think this is true. when you get qualified its based on your last year salary. for example laines bridge aav was 6.75 but his last year was 7.5 and that was what columbus had to qualify him at. same as his brother his last year of his contract is 9 million so calgary will have to qualify him at that instead of his 7aav. no doubt he wants a 9 million last year of contract on a bridge like his brother.

Phil Kessels Hot Dog

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton in 5
i dont think this is true. when you get qualified its based on your last year salary. for example laines bridge aav was 6.75 but his last year was 7.5 and that was what columbus had to qualify him at. same as his brother his last year of his contract is 9 million so calgary will have to qualify him at that instead of his 7aav. no doubt he wants a 9 million last year of contract on a bridge like his brother.

It's changed slightly now, the qualifying offer can't exceed 120% of the previous contracts AAV.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
If he refused my 8X8M offer, I'd let out a sight of relief and recover from the hangover of whatever substance I was using when making the offer.

The they laugh and tell me I'm far off? I laugh back and put him on the market - what a douche.

I don't care about perry revenge like ttading him ti Buffalo or Arizona, he could get traded again or leave as a UFA. So what do I do? I listen to all offers and maximize the return on this guy.

wtf did this guy deserve to get an 8x8 co tract? Matthew Tkachuk at the same age had a 77 pts season under his belt and signed 3 years at 7M. Make it 3 years 5 M for his brother that cant touch 30 goals or 60 pts.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
That was changed about a year ago. Offer is 120% of the AAV if I recall.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I feel like if his dad wasn’t a money hungry former nhl player and he didn’t have a nhl star caliber brother influencing him, he would think on his own and be reasonable. Unfortunately he does, and he will listen to his dad, and that will be his downfall. Let’s just hope his dad kieth has enough brains to not Sabotage his sons career. Like someone said above, this is the ONE nhl franchise you don’t I repeat DO NOT pull this move on, you will get burned!
I recall all the bullshit back in the 90s with 'Walt' and Winnipeg/Arizona...

Player Greed Is Now Reaching Absurd Heights

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Trade him for Robert Thomas and Tarasenko

No from a Blues fan. Thomas puts up better 5v5 p/60 and costs much less. Tkachuk's stats are generated from getting first line minutes and PP time right from the jump. But he hasn't improved those stats at all. Now he is insulted by $8Mx8. No thank you. I am sure some of that is the "I don't want to be in Ottawa" tax, but I wouldn't give him 6. The Blues are too tight to the cap, and forwards are not a problem. We'd be giving up 2 forwards for one who costs the same as Tarasenko and is only a marginal upgrade on Thomas.

If we are moving Tarasenko, that money is earmarked for a LD. That isn't even getting into Tarasenko not waiving for Ottawa. He gave St. Louis some teams he'd waive for when he asked for a trade, but I'd assume Buffalo and Ottawa are on most player's no trade list.

Reactions: SENStastic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad