Speculation: If you were a GM (Brady Tkachuk)

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
How would you deal with the Brady Tkachuk situation if you were the GM? Apparently, his camp has rejected an 8x8M offer and his agent apparently called it insulting. This player has not put up the stats to warrant even a 7M deal, which is what Landeskog signed for. Do you overpay the guy you want as the captain of your team or do you show him that he’ll have to compromise if he wants to be save some money to build the team around him?

I’d choose the latter. Brady Tkachuk is a good player but cannot carry a line on his own. I reserve those high contracts for players who make the players around them a whole lot better. I’d let him sit for however long he wants. Not like the Sens need him because they’re going to miss the playoffs anyway.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I’d move him. He’s not worth 8x8 at this point. His agent making it clear it’s not close either would be the nail in the coffin. He’s showing he’s not a team guy or leader at all.

Target Buffalo and get Eichel. Let Eichel get his surgery and you have Eichel, Norris, Pinto down the middle and can play Stutzle with Eichel.

Ottawa future is bright yet they aren’t looking to contend this season so moving him for Eichel and waiting till Eichel is fully recovered isn’t a big deal.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I have to consider the market I am in. Plus the style of game Brady brings which likely will Not age as well. So my 2 best options are either signing him for max term now til he turns 29 or signing a bridge deal and hope I can sign him again when he is 24 but in this scenario I hadn’t over leverage to him as it could turn into another Stone situation and he goes to arbitration and gets a 1 year deal forcing my hand to trade him. I avoid a 5 year deal at all costs.

what is it about the $8 mill by 8 years that is an issue. That’s more than fair for the term and performance. Is it structure of bonuses? If so that’s something I need to work out with the owner. Even if it means that the club has to borrow money to finance it.

what is the ask from Brady?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'd offer him a 2x4M deal, and the 8x8M deal, if that's what they're comfortable with long term, and let him sit until he decides which one he wants.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
I’d move him. He’s not worth 8x8 at this point. His agent making it clear it’s not close either would be the nail in the coffin. He’s showing he’s not a team guy or leader at all.

Target Buffalo and get Eichel. Let Eichel get his surgery and you have Eichel, Norris, Pinto down the middle and can play Stutzle with Eichel.

Ottawa future is bright yet they aren’t looking to contend this season so moving him for Eichel and waiting till Eichel is fully recovered isn’t a big deal.

a package involving Brady and Eichel isn't a bad idea but how cool is Eichel to go to Ottawa if a trade like this ever materialized? o_O

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I would be embolded by how common these RFA standoffs are. It doesn't happen with every player, but it happens.

Also, look at what happened with Kaprisov. It was a similar situation in the media, heightened by how prominent a player he is, but muted a little by it not being a regular season issue, yet.

I see the same suggestions, like trading him for Eichel, etc. I don't see that as an option for the Sens, because Eichel's deal involves the team getting him risking too much uninsured cash. That means less cash for me to work with if that situation goes south.

Ultimately, my only real deadline on the Tkachuk deal was the one in December or whatever it is this year. The Nylander deadline, where they need to sign by in order to play that year.

It is worthwhile to keep Tkachuk. It's worthwhile to get that deal as long as you possibly can. Melnyk will spend to the cap, but only for a winner, and that day may come soon. They need that Tkachuk deal to be long term, because a bridge would be cheaper, and that's useless at this time when they have all the cap space in the world. Also, this year is unlikely to be a playoff year, but that year may come up very soon.

Now is the time to drag this out. If all this posturing and negative attention only buys them one more year of Tkachuk, it would be worth it. This deal needs term

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
I'd look to move him to a crappy team out west.
To the Yotes for a 1st( can work out of and or where protections might apply) and Guenther and perhaps a small +

Reactions: Beville

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
a package involving Brady and Eichel isn't a bad idea but how cool is Eichel to go to Ottawa if a trade like this ever materialized? o_O

If they told his camp they would approve his preferred surgery at this point without his NMC kicked in I don’t really see him having an issue with it. He’d probably be over the moon a team is allowing him to move on and forward

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I'd offer him no longer than a 2 year deal. Something like first year 4m and 2nd year 7m.
If he doesn't agree, he can sit. If I'm CBJ, I'd be all over a trade for him.

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
From what I've seen Brady want more AAV, because of a lack of bonuses, and I dont blame him if thats the case. Melnyk is a cheap owner not willing to put up for his star players. Ottawa's forever in purgatory with Melnyk.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I wouldn't have offered him 8x8 to begin with. He hasn't shown he's worth that. But I like him as a player and would want him in my lineup all the same. Still, that offer is totally off the table now... whatever temporary insanity caused me to offer it previously - and then he rejects it?!? - well, forget about that.

Right now I'm tabling a bridge deal that preserves his RFA status. If that is a 2- or 3-year deal in the $6-7M AAV range, so be it, that is my FINAL OFFER. Tkachuk sits all year if he won't take that. It doesn't seem like he's bargaining in good faith, I wouldn't feel inclined to show any desperation or leniency. Let him come crawling back to the table. Or not. I'm done negotiating.

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

heisenbergsitti

Aug 23, 2021

Why the heck would Buffalo say yes? Especially to a player who won't sign there?

Reactions: TML1990

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
I'd sign him for as long as possible. If a 7 or 8 year deal isn't working, then get him for 5 years at a minimum. Before the end of the 4th year you trade him at the endline if he isn't looking to extend.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Listen this isn't hard. It's Ottawa. He investing there for 10 million a year either.
He will sign a bridge deal and be gone by the time the bridge deal expires. Its the player not committing to Ottawa.
As GM, he will sit as he isnt gonna change the team standings a whole lot anyway. He sits until he commits or they get the right deal or the team suddenly becomes a contender. He isnt the right person for the captain spot anyway and 8x8 is a real good place to to start.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
How would you deal with the Brady Tkatchuk situation if you were the GM? Apparently, his camp has rejected an 8x8M offer and his agent apparently called it insulting. This player has not put up the stats to warrant even a 7M deal, which is what Landeskog signed for. Do you overpay the guy you want as the captain of your team or do you show him that he’ll have to compromise if he wants to be save some money to build the team around him?
I don’t know how he thinks 8 mill per is insulting?? Wasn’t

I’d choose the latter. Brady Tkatchuk is a good player but cannot carry a line on his own. I reserve those high contracts for players who make the players around them a whole lot better. I’d let him sit for however long he wants. Not like the Sens need him because they’re going to miss the playoffs anyway.

What are your thoughts?

I mean I think it’s evident he doesn’t want 8 years. He wants a chance to make more money when the cap goes up, and he also wants to be closer to UFA sooner and control where he wants to play. That’s not great news for the sens if they plain on Tkachuk spending most or his entire career there. Not really great news for sens fans that see him as a long term part of the solution

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
8x8 is insulting? Ottawa is going to have fun contract negotiations with it's youth for years to come.

Thata guy Brady set that standard, looking like a future captain. :help:

Reactions: SENStastic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad