Speculation: If you were a GM (Brady Tkachuk)

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Do you have any examples at all for your universal truth?
Eric Lindros was one of the best young players to ever enter the league. Brady Tkachuk hasn’t cracked 50 points. Recent examples are William Nylander and Drew Doughty. Both had terrible years after holding out.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Then there should've been a bridge contract signed by now that doesn't bring him straight to UFA. But there hasn't. If I'm not mistaken wasn't it reported that he wants the exact term to take him to UFA(4 I think?). Why not sign a 2-3 year deal? Give them a few years to show him a long term commitment to winning.

IMO he wants 4(?) years at X AAV and they're refusing to book his ticket straight to UFA.

That's reasonable. I heard Matt Tkachuk being interviewed the other day and he joked about how holding out is a family thing and kind of laughed it off. I don't know exactly what deal Brady wants, but it doesn't seem like he's too concerned about it.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
How would you deal with the Brady Tkachuk situation if you were the GM? Apparently, his camp has rejected an 8x8M offer and his agent apparently called it insulting. This player has not put up the stats to warrant even a 7M deal, which is what Landeskog signed for. Do you overpay the guy you want as the captain of your team or do you show him that he’ll have to compromise if he wants to be save some money to build the team around him?

I’d choose the latter. Brady Tkachuk is a good player but cannot carry a line on his own. I reserve those high contracts for players who make the players around them a whole lot better. I’d let him sit for however long he wants. Not like the Sens need him because they’re going to miss the playoffs anyway.

What are your thoughts?
Your two options are to overpay for Tkachuk or force Tkachuk to sign a long term team friendly deal.

ummm. Dude, your “what’s behind door number 2 option” is exactly why he’s still holding out. That’s probably not an option available to the Sens. It’s clearly not.

you want a viable option to overpaying… it’s a trade.

Another would be a bridge.

But your, I’m make him sign a long term deal at discount (compromise as you call it) is a stupid construct for actually resolving the impasse. It’s a strawman.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Sign him to a 3 year bridge and trade him next offseason. He’d hold solid value in that scenario. 2 more years under contract and team control on another year after that. Gives the inquiring team 3 years to get him to buy-in and extend.

or Sens get better, the cap goes up and he signs an 8 x $10mm deal with Ottawa hearing info UFA.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Eric Lindros was one of the best young players to ever enter the league. Brady Tkachuk hasn’t cracked 50 points. Recent examples are William Nylander and Drew Doughty. Both had terrible years after holding out.

And neither one of them had their development impaired at all.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
I’d move him. He’s not worth 8x8 at this point. His agent making it clear it’s not close either would be the nail in the coffin. He’s showing he’s not a team guy or leader at all.

Target Buffalo and get Eichel. Let Eichel get his surgery and you have Eichel, Norris, Pinto down the middle and can play Stutzle with Eichel.

Ottawa future is bright yet they aren’t looking to contend this season so moving him for Eichel and waiting till Eichel is fully recovered isn’t a big deal.

I have a similar idea but not a trade . Offer the compensation pack you would have to pay for offer sheeting a 10m free agent ie 2 first 1 second and 1 third to Buffalo for Eichel conditional on him regaining his health and Buffalo has to eat the 7.5m signing bonus he's due next year . That puts him on LTIR for Buffalo this year and then 4 years at 8.125 actual cost and you name him Captain . That ends both of Brady's arguments for more than 8x8 because he hasn't been and isn't Jack Eichel and the notion that he should be paid as the Captain goes down the toilet as well .

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Trade him to STL
Nope and don't make the Kyle Dumbass mistake either , hold the line and make him miss a full years pay , Sens aren't contending this year so no harm to them and it corrects the stupid precedent set by Toronto of paying RFA's like they have actually accomplished something .
Opening night you call with your final offer and if he says no then the next day you call back with a new offer 1 million less per year and on deadline night you tell him to enjoy his year off , if he wants to come back next year the new price is another million lower , and thats the end of RFA holdouts

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
From what I've seen Brady want more AAV, because of a lack of bonuses, and I dont blame him if thats the case. Melnyk is a cheap owner not willing to put up for his star players. Ottawa's forever in purgatory with Melnyk.

I just dont see him as anywhere near an 8 x 8 player, and he wants more? I would give him a reasonable offer and if he doesnt like it trade him.

Reactions: SENStastic

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Let him sit and not get paid. It’s not like Ottawa is expected to be contenders this year and needs him to go in a run. Don’t give in to these whiny brats like Dubas did.

This is the correct answer for me. They dont need him this year so let him sit all year if he wants.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
That's reasonable. I heard Matt Tkachuk being interviewed the other day and he joked about how holding out is a family thing and kind of laughed it off. I don't know exactly what deal Brady wants, but it doesn't seem like he's too concerned about it.

It’s easy. He wants control. He only wants a short term deal. Don’t think the hold up is cap hit wise...
He wants to be able to Hit UFA as early as he can and dictate where he wants to sign his mega-deal... even though the sens look to be building a solid foundation for the future, it looks like he doesn’t care and will bolt when he gets the chance. Pretty much the same exact thing Kaprizov is doing in Minnesota and Panarin did with CBJ.
They are fine with forgoing the Guaranteed money on a long term deal and essentially betting on themselves that they are going to get more when the cap goes up, all well as being able to pick their destination.
It has been speculated for a while now, that neither Tkachuk boys are too crazy about playing for Canadian teams. They certainly both have long standing family ties in the St. Louis area.
OTT and Cal should be prepared to forge ahead without either of them in their long range plans. Both has skillset a that make them very valuable in trade, but if they are intent on UFA, the closer they get to that point, the worse the value of the return will be, unless they know there’s a huge extension coming to the team that trades for them.
It’s a terrible precedent for these young kids to see when the so called heart and soul leader guys are doing this to their teams....

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Let him sit and not get paid. It’s not like Ottawa is expected to be contenders this year and needs him to go in a run. Don’t give in to these whiny brats like Dubas did.

Brady Tkachuk is not a whiny Brat like Matthew’s, Marjner and Nylander are.

Brady actually shows up for the fights and walks to the center of the ring.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
…while also putting up 0.5x their production

Brady Tkachuk in a big game is worth more then all 3 of those players combined and everyone in Toronto knows it, that’s why their own fans call them whiny brats because that’s how they play

OrangePMD

Feb 2, 2021
Finland
Is there a link to that, Flames fans have been saying Matthew needs a QO of $9m next year when if you're right it's only $8.4m
The 120% rule only applies to contracts signed after July 10th 2020. So, Flames fans are correct that it won't apply to Matthew. And Johnnybegood13 is correct that it would apply to Brady.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Offer 8yr $6.5mil and 2yr 2.5mil. Let him sit until he picks one. If he wants a trade than 1 of these contracts might make him tradeable for things OTT needs. Disgruntled player wanting more than 8x8 can't be worth much on the trade market.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Brady Tkachuk in a big game is worth more then all 3 of those players combined and everyone in Toronto knows it
Lmao hyperbole much. Hate the leafs all you want they're better than the Sens.

Brady Tkachuk has become so overrated because of this holdout.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad